Mila Kunas Set To Play Mona Sax

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mila Kunas Set To Play Mona Sax

Mark Wahlberg [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005109/]in the upcoming Max Payne movie.

Kunis will play an assassin who teams up with Payne, a New York cop broken by the murder of his family, in order to avenge the murder of her sister. The movie will be directed by revealed [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0601382/]as the titular character in November, no announcements regarding the movie's casting have been made.

Kunis is best known for playing empty-headed rich girl Jackie Burkhart on Family Guy [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_70s_Show]. Mona Sax is best known for shadowy motivations which led her to work both with and against Max at various times, as well as her sultry voice and deft touch with high-power rifles.

More information about the Max Payne movie can be found at the Internet Movie Database [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0467197/].

REDPill357

Jan 5, 2008
DARN IT.

Something tells me this movie is not going to be anywhere NEAR as good as the game. And the casting of a comedy actress in the female lead is good evidence.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I didn't care for the choice of Wahlberg as Max but I was prepared to take a wait-and-see attitude about it. But Mila Kunis is horribly miscast as Mona. Too young, too pretty, and I don't especially like saying it but I've never seen anything in her work that suggests to me she can break out of her dingbat typecasting sufficiently to give the role what it needs. It does not bode well.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
It's too bad. Max Payne was one of the few games that I thoroughly enjoyed. Is sacrilege the word I'm looking for?

SonofSeth

Dec 16, 2007
Maybe it's Max Payne: Police Academy...

It just goes to show, making a movie based of a video game is not a bad idea in itself. A mountain of mistakes while making it is what makes it a bad idea.

Seems like someone saw pictures of Max and Mona in game and went, oooh, it's a game, it's for children, let's get that Marky Mark guy, he craped on his career so we can get him cheap and get that Jackie from That 70's show, kids love her.

I might be paranoid here, but I just get the feeling that movie industry is feeling gaming breathing down it's neck and in a pathetic atempt to invalidate games as an art form keeps producing realy derivative and lame game to movie products.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
SonofSeth said:
Maybe it's Max Payne: Police Academy...

It just goes to show, making a movie based of a video game is not a bad idea in itself. A mountain of mistakes while making it is what makes it a bad idea.

Seems like someone saw pictures of Max and Mona in game and went, oooh, it's a game, it's for children, let's get that Marky Mark guy, he craped on his career so we can get him cheap and get that Jackie from That 70's show, kids love her.

I might be paranoid here, but I just get the feeling that movie industry is feeling gaming breathing down it's neck and in a pathetic atempt to invalidate games as an art form keeps producing realy derivative and lame game to movie products.
Well, i think the real question is "How many producers/studios can make a good movie out of a game". Games like Max Payne have better writing then many Crime Movies these days, taking something as well done and as loved as Max Payne and making a good movie out of it is hard. A game needs to be long and therefor flesh out the plot, while a movie needs to cut it down.

Bottom line, games dont need to be made into movie and it will be a long time until good ones are made.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Will it feature a laughter track and is there applause every time her or Max enters the room? Or maybe we can e-mail the producers and appeal to be part of the live studio audience?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
SonofSeth said:

I think it reflects worse on the movie industry. The critics go and see the film, say 'its rubbish'. Gamers see the film, say 'They comletely ignored the story and mood of the game. It's also rubbish,'. Everyone agrees that the movie ruins its source material.

As far as Max Payne, they've got Wahlberg and a bunch of D-listers. Then the bloke who directed Flight of the Pheonix. So it's going to be cheesy one liners, ferrari's and soft racism all round :D Oh dear...

Then there's Uwe Boll, I don't think movie's of games can ever be taken seriously until he has an argument with an HGV.

brazenhead89

Jan 3, 2008
Interesting choice, and by interesting, I mean bad.
Sure, it's harsh to slam a movie before it even gets released, but come on. What next? Max delivering his poetic angst in High School Musical-Esque song and dance?
Actually, there's an idea. A Max Payne tapdance extravaganza. I can see the tagline now; "With Max, Sax, slacks, and a whole lotta ratta-tat-tats!"

I'm hilarious.

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
felltablet said:
I'm happy.

We get to watch Mila Kunis get shot in the face.
I guess they're going for a House of Wax thing. People actually PAYED to get into that movie just to see Paris Hilton bite it.

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
One more thing I just thought of, what is it rated? If I can see Mila Kunas topless AND get killed in the same movie, I may just die happy after all.

WHOOPING MASSIVE GAME DESTROYING SPOILER AHEAD!
Also, let us not forget her role in Saints Row. Watching her get tossed out of a window was awsome. Maybe this movie has does have some potential....

StartRunning

Dec 14, 2007
Welllll, MAYBE she can pull it off..
But she's just about as un-Mona-Saxey as they come. Cute, dark-haired and pretty aren't the first things that come to my mind when I think about Mona Sax.