Milestones: Do you care?

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Yeah, the fact that this is my 2700th post was sort of what inspired this thread.

Every single time I reach a milestone post count, one of two things has happened.

1: I've planned something big (for my 1000th and 2000th posts) and then forgotten about it due to the general forum atmosphere.
2: I've gone five posts over and suddenly noticed "Oh, it was my 2500th post a while ago, nice".

I remember a while ago now we went through a real phase of people celebrating their 5000th, 15000th, 20000th, whatever, posts (we also got a couple of people celebrating Going Gonzo) and generally making a big deal out of it.

This is what in part led to my grand plans for my 1000th and 2000th posts (which I can't remember, equally naturally).

In general though, I guess the question is this: do milestones, in post counts or in real life, really matter to you? Would you rather they were a big deal or would you rather the less fuss the better?

Me, as a modest person, I never like birthdays or even getting good exam results because people fawn over me and I'M NOT CLEVER STOP SAYING I AM >.>
But weirdly with milestones I get the feeling I would like someone to notice. Weird that.

Anyway: discuss, shot put, javelin.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I don't particularly care too much about forum milestones, except when it comes to my 10,000 post count. Seriously, when I first joined this site it was a massive thing to get to 1000 posts, now everyone has that and it's the big thing to reach 10,000 instead. So when I do I might just post something special, or demand request politely that everyone hold a party in the forums and maybe do a roast or something...

As for real life milestones? Well, I love celebrating them. After all, any excuse for a party... :p

oreopizza47

May 2, 2010
I never really notice online milestones for posting, because I just go through and post on what I want to, when the mood strikes me. In the real world, I'm kind of a "stand against the wall at the dance" type of person. Not really very social... but I love me a good party if my friends are around.

EDIT: And cake. Can't forget the cake that comes with parties.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
I feel that life is about achieving your milestones and dreams. To cram as many experiences as you can in your short, hundred years.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I like milestones. Helps me keep track of how far along I am.

I have a vague plan for my 10 000th post, and I did something for my 5 000th.

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
I don't really care if something's specifically a milestone, though I do aspire for some milestones to happen, if that makes sense. I don't want them to happen for the sake of being milestones, is what I'm trying to say.

EvilChameleon

Oct 18, 2010
The only milestones that are really important are yearly anniversaries on the forum, and I suppose every 1,000 posts.

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
Every once in a while I think about it, but the only 'milestone' I really celebrated was my 1111th post, lol.

Is it odd that when I saw the thread title the first thing I thought of were the 'milestone' achievements in Team Fortress 2?

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I'm coming up on OVER NINE THOUSAND posts...which only goes to show that I spend way too much of my time on these forums ;)

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
the Dept of Science said:
I'm planning to leave this forum on my 999th post. Possibly with a retrospective.
You should have at 666 you would have been that much cooler. :|

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
I don't pay attention to post counts that much... How many do I have anyway? Guess I'll post and find out...

EDIT: wooooooooo 257

child of lileth

The Norway Italian
Jun 10, 2009
I never cared for them. I never celebrated any of mine, but I've seen people do everything from 5,000 down to 100. It just seems pointless to me, because I never even look at post counts anyway.

Lyx

Sep 19, 2010
tomtom94 said:
In general though, I guess the question is this: do milestones, in post counts or in real life, really matter to you? Would you rather they were a big deal or would you rather the less fuss the better?
I care so little about such purely symbolic "milestones", that not only do i not celebrate my birthday, i don't even count and memorize my age, and thus have to first do the maths (birthyear to currentyear) for the rare cases where i'm forced to tell some person because of laws (yes, that means that most of the time, i don't know my exact age *shrugs*).

LooK iTz Jinjo

Feb 22, 2009
I laugh when people who are obsessed with their post count call people gamerscore/tropy whores and say "who cares about achievements/trophies anyway?" or vise-versa.

OT I don't really care about my post count, gamerscore or any other "virtual milestone" though what I care about in real life kind of depends on what it actually is. And yes it was as I read your post that I realised I'm over 1500... in like 20 months.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
The only milestones I really care about are the ones that took a considerable amount of effort on my part to achieve. The day I learned how to do the Dragon Punch motion on command (
+
) was a milestone for me, because it represented the point when I started to learn how to actually play Street Fighter strategically, as opposed to button mashing. Passing Geometry with a B back in High School was a milestone for me because up until then, I really hadn't cared at all about passing my math classes. Hell, graduating was a milestone.

Reaching my 1000th, 2000th and recently my 3000th post, though? Not so much. It's not that I don't place any value on these things, as I do respect and admire the members of the Escapist community who actively contribute solid and insightful posts on a regular basis, it's just not really my thing. I haven't really put any effort into establishing myself on these forums. I kinda just... Post occasionally and move on. Celebrating a milestone for doing that would be stupid.