Military Scientists Unveil Sound-Powered Fire Extinguisher

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Petromir said:
theshadavid said:
I'm off to basic training for the U.S. Navy in September as part of the Nuclear Community. This is HUGE if they can get this into submarines.
Big for all ships, the water in firefighting even on surface ships is a massive issue. Now if only they can find a way to boundary cool with sound......
This has some potentially huge implications for the Air Force, as well. Fires are the worst emergency you can have happen to you on a jet. A fire suppression system that's lightweight and compact enough to be added to existing airframes could prevent a total loss of the jet if an engine or APU catches fire, potentially saving millions.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
You were all thinking Fus Ro Dah? I was thinking more along the lines of BASS CANNON.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Sonic Extinguisher anyone? ... Fus Ro Dah, but not Sonic Extinguisher? ... Disappoint.

At any rate ... What about the integrity of material around it? It may be able to extinguish a flame, but if it acts as a Screwdriver as well, I doubt that's too helpful.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Who doesn't want a fire extinguisher that doesn't run out of fuel? Anyway, so long as they can make it convenient and aren't using a frequency that causes hearing loss this is a great idea.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I'm just looking frward to when DARPA's enemies reverse-engineer the process, and invent a sound that CREATES fires. Too bad that's not what reverse engineering means.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Blablahb said:
Finally, flamewars will become a thing of the past.
Yes, YES! The sound of fanboys yelling at each other will cause the flaming to extinguish itself. GENIUS!

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
So will we be changing the old 'don't panic in case of fire' rule? Makes sense to me, not like anyone followed it before.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
chadachada123 said:
All this, and we still can't make a sound-machine that makes orgasms?

DARPA...I am disappointed.
They can make you shit yourself, which we all know is the next best thing.

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
nikki191 said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Tallim said:
Broken Blade said:
Didn't we see this on Mythbusters a few years back?
Yes and No, the Mythbusters thing was whether the human voice could extinguish a flame.
Panty and Stocking! What a wonderfully weird show.
mythbusters premepted darpa :) i love life :)

personally i think mythbusters should be granted access to everysingle weapon system on earth .. just imagine it :D
That's a terrifying thought, but it'd be so cool to see what they'd do with it all. It would all be in the name of science, of course. Until they strap guided missiles to a shark's head--then it would just be for fun.

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
saintdane05 said:
So, this is what they were doing instead of making Metal Gear Rex? Cool.
Wow... 33 comments in and only now we've got a MGS reference? Poor DARPA chief...

OT: The only problem I can see with this idea is when they short circuit and create their own fire. What then!? Probably the only advantage a standard fire extinguisher has over this invention.

Though on a more positive note, if they can boost the range on one of those things, having several equipped into a room could mean with the touch of a button, the entire room is fire proof! That's technology that's worth inventing!

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Yay.

Conserve water, step into Tesla's amazing world of actual solutions, cherish electricity and enjoy the power.

Nuclear power, that is.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
nikki191 said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Tallim said:
Broken Blade said:
Didn't we see this on Mythbusters a few years back?
Yes and No, the Mythbusters thing was whether the human voice could extinguish a flame.
Panty and Stocking! What a wonderfully weird show.
mythbusters premepted darpa :) i love life :)

personally i think mythbusters should be granted access to everysingle weapon system on earth .. just imagine it :D
Myth: enough nuclear explosives can split earth in two.
First test: it didnt work. we wiped out notht america but it didnt work.
Response: lets do what we always do on mythbusters, oversize it.
BOOM.