Mind-Boggling Lego Contraption Swaps 360 Discs By Remote

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mind-Boggling Lego Contraption Swaps 360 Discs By Remote

All you need to make an Xbox 360 Lego disc changer of your very own is a few Lego bricks, a bit of spare time and a degree in advanced engineering.

To be perfectly clear about this, by "a few Lego bricks" I mean about 3000, and "a bit of spare time" is really more like, say, "winter." As in, all of it. But the engineering degree thing is probably fairly accurate. Anyway, if you happen to have all that at hand, then you too can, in theory at least, build something like this monstrosity created by a fellow calling himself "zwenkka."

"The Carousel," as he calls it, uses three Lego Mindstorm NXT programmable robotics kits, seven NXT servos, a radio-controlled motor, a light sensor and two color sensors, plus the assorted bricks required to hold it all together. It can handle up to 32 discs manipulated by a pneumatic claw, and the whole thing is controlled by an Android app over Bluetooth. It takes roughly 42 seconds to change a disc.

I have no idea how a guy can be too lazy to get off the couch to swap discs in his 360, yet be willing to spend an entire season, not to mention hundreds of dollars in Lego kit, building this thing. The exchange time is absolutely glacial, too. And yet I can't stop thinking that this may well be the greatest disc changer I've ever seen, and perhaps of all time. Am I wrong?

(Hint: Unless you can hook me up with a video of a trained lemur who will change discs on demand, then no, I am not wrong.)

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=H7mzVTIYmXk]

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
Well, I for one welcome our new lego overlords.

Ok, I know, too easy, but I did always think the ability to turn the console on and off with the controller was only half usefull since you had to get up to change disks anyway, well sir not anymore!

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
It's probably cheaper to import a Chinese slave to do your disc changing for you, they can keep the house tidy and play games with you too so it's even better than Lego!

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
This is kinda amazing. I want one now.

Andy Chalk said:
I have no idea how a guy can be too lazy to get off the couch to swap discs in his 360, yet be willing to spend an entire season, not to mention hundreds of dollars in Lego kit, building this thing.
Yea, that's kinda the engineering mindset for you. It's not a matter of solving the problem in the most expedient manner. It's a matter of SCIENCE!!!

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Physical media, how quaint!

Nah, that's awesome. Time taken, effort to design, cost to build, space used up = all irrelevant. Just steer pets well clear; you do NOT want a clumsy mutt lolloping through that thing.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Really what more is there to say? That's prettyf fuckin' sweet. Obviously not as efficient as the good ol' manual way of doing things, but still a very impressive build.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Andy Chalk said:
I have no idea how a guy can be too lazy to get off the couch to swap discs in his 360, yet be willing to spend an entire season, not to mention hundreds of dollars in Lego kit, building this thing.
Bro
Bro
Bro
Broooooo
srsly
Do you even Lego?
If you Lego'd, you'd know.
Agreed, I made several iPod stands outta Legos, including one of the ones with a motor so that it could adjust the screen angle. Legos are awesome and I have all the ones I had when I was a kid.

As the old motto goes: Lego Legeo, Lego Mania! :D

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
That... is... beautiful.

Horribly inefficient, yes, but beautiful all the same.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I wonder how many disks he scratched horribly before he got this right...

Puts all of my Lego creations to shame.

Sep 14, 2009
oh jeez in b4 the lego nazi who has to correct everyone on their usage of the word "lego" being plural *sigh*

OT: this is pretty sweet, curious as to what the total cost was for all the pieces (lego pieces, not the xbox and other accessories.)

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
oh jeez in b4 the lego nazi who has to correct everyone on their usage of the word "lego" being plural *sigh*
That would be me! The constant use of "Legos" in reference to multiple Lego bricks drives me insane. However I stopped being "that person" a long time ago; it's a losing battle my friend.

OT: This contraption would never work with my Xbox 360. The tray opens on my console once for every 10 pushes of the button; it's really temperamental. There'd be discs flying everywhere with no place to go!

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Not impressed yet, it doesn't take them off the shelf and out of the box. Its OK for a MKI though.

Sep 14, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
gmaverick019 said:
That would be me! The constant use of "Legos" in reference to multiple Lego bricks drives me insane. However I stopped being "that person" a long time ago; it's a losing battle my friend.

OT: This contraption would never work with my Xbox 360. The tray opens on my console once for every 10 pushes of the button; it's really temperamental. There'd be discs flying everywhere with no place to go!

for once, you can say "am i the only one..." and could possibly mean it at this moment.

i wouldn't consider it a battle, so much as a kid with a slingshot versus an entire nation.

everyone i have ever known until i reached the escapist uses "legos" as the plural form, but i'm glad you are just dealing with it.

for real, kudos

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Proverbial Jon said:
gmaverick019 said:

Sorry dude, legos is just a fun word to say. Can't blame you for what you find annoying though. Speaking of which...
gmaverick019 said:
Whoever made that gif should have flipped the sunglasses horizontally so the temple went to the right side of his head. Not important, just slightly annoying.