Mind The GAPP: Update on WOW in China

Greg Pilarowski

Aug 13, 2009
Mind The GAPP: Update on WOW in China

Will patience help foreign entertainment companies like Blizzard Activision enter the China market?

Read Full Article

Arcanz

Jun 25, 2009
Is it just me who thinks this is getting rather ridiculous? And why is China doing this? I might have missed something, English is not my first language so not all of those fancy words was understandable.

MultiPurposeBlue

Apr 16, 2008
The Chinese love their censorship don't they.

in China it is illegal to show a human skeleton, except in medical text books

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Arcanz said:
Is it just me who thinks this is getting rather ridiculous? And why is China doing this? I might have missed something, English is not my first language so not all of those fancy words was understandable.
I think it's a combination of the GAPP being run by a bunch of old codgers and China's long established xenophobia. Basically, the GAPP wants to keep things as they have been and doesn't want to wake up and find a flaming bag of capitalism on its doorstep.

You'd think that people would accept the fact that physical boundaries are no longer as important as they once were and would stop trying to keep foreigners out as much as China does. People may not exactly welcome you to Japan with open arms, but at least you can work out of there relatively easily.

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
MultiPurposeBlue said:
The Chinese love their censorship don't they.

in China it is illegal to show a human skeleton, except in medical text books
Its only a small part this, a large part of their xenophobia. They basically want to keep their games in, and make every effort to crash the foreign online games coming in. I'd even go so far as to say they want WoW out so they can maintain the top selling game in their country.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
So since we seem to have dug up and are now beating the same dead horse we were beating this summer I would like to re-admit to the table of conversation a little something I whipped up at the request of someone in our community during the original assault this summer.

Ladies and gentlemen, members of the senate, I present to you the gaming community's stance when it comes to China's continued attack on WoW.