MINECRAFT 1.8 IS GO!

Jelly ^.^

Mar 11, 2010
That's right ladies and Gentlemen, 1.8 is up and available (for reals this time)

According to the big N himself (Notch, not Nintendo):

"We just uploaded Minecraft 1.8, but minecraft.net isn't up right now because of web ops stuff." - [via his Twitter feed [http://twitter.com/#!/notch]

The main site seems to be on and off, along with logging onto the game itself, but I managed to snag the download just before, and I'm legitimately impressed :D

Anyways, Onwards and upwards! Another week of waiting while all of our mods are updated and servers come up to date as well.

Anything in particular you guys are looking forward to? Anything you wish was in the update but isn't?

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
I haven't really paid any attention to this patch release, quick run down on what's new?
I heard something about a creative mode, and food.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
FINALLY. I've been waiting for this since I heard about it at the beginning of the month. I've been logging in every day waiting for it to autoupdate.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
Great, have to wait for the Craftbukkit guys to release a compatible version now. On the other hand, 1.8 looks pretty sweet.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Ranorak said:
I haven't really paid any attention to this patch release, quick run down on what's new?
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/1.8

Probably easier to read on there.
Basically they've altered landscapes making them seem more...real, as it were. For example, there are more mountainous regions, better biome separation etc. If you're in a desert, you won't find random trees growing - you'll feel like you're in a desert. Also they've enhanced rivers and stuff.
They've also added villages (NPCs will be added in 1.9) as well as underground strongholds, ravines and abandoned mine shacks.
There are new mobs too - the Enderman, the silverfish and blue spiders.
Some new items have been added, notably more food, iron bars, and glass panes.
There is an emphasis on exploration and survival - you have a food bar that depletes so you need to eat. Combat has been upgraded to give it more RPG elements, like critical hits.
There is also a Creative Mode in which (I think) you pretty much have infinite everything.

I just need to wait for my friend to restart the server...

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Been playing it since yesterday via the pre-release, the best thing about it is probably the improved lighting. It just looks like a different game, graphics are so much better.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
Sweet, now everyone can make pixel art of things we've all already seen in a *NEW* version of Minecraft and post it to youtube! AGAIN! WHOO!

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Ranorak said:
Creative mode is now riding high with Survival, you no longer have to play it through your browser to build gigantic creations, you now can easily build within the actual game you downloaded.
Food now plays a essential part on running / sprinting places, the amount of food you have will be the only way to heal now. The lower food you have, you will stop regenerating hearts and stop being able to sprint.
Among with rivers, NPC villages and so many more blocks, 1.8 has made Minecraft better.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Awesome! Now I just need to wait for the Minecraft Coder Pack to update, and I'll be able to update my mods :D

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
I still wish we'd get more blocks to build with instead of items that only translate to tedious work, and/or slight gameplay-gimmicks

but toggleable Creative-mod in SMP is great, the new lighting looks spiffy, flying is awesome, the few building materials we did get are great (especially fence-gates and iron bars, but differently textured stone blocks are nice as well) and that being fed apparently means health regen makes it even easier for us who "cheat" with TMI already.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Ranorak said:
So I'm not the only one building a skybridge? Awesome.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Just downloaded it, not been on Minecraft for like a month as I got a little bored so this should freshen things up. Now, I do have a question, I heard something about NPC villages in this update. Do the villages appear around the world or can you add NPC's to villages you have already built? Because I've been meaning to get round to building a fishing village near my players house for a while now but never got round to it. If I got to liven it up a bit with some NPC's that would definitely give me the enthusiasm to go build it.

Cridhe said:
Sweet, now everyone can make pixel art of things we've all already seen in a *NEW* version of Minecraft and post it to youtube! AGAIN! WHOO!
If you're not a fan of Minecraft and just came here to make fun of it then just leave, you're adding nothing to the discussion so there's no need for you to post.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
If any of you take time out of playing the game to post can anyone give me some insight on the level up system yet?

I downloaded the 'leaked' version but leveling up was useless in the pre-release and it was the most exciting part of the update for me.

I LOVE creative mode, although I'd like to know how to toggle flying on and off, did it once but couldn't figure out how to do it again.

something about generating a new world and filling it with TNT that's just too much fun.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
None of the changes like the NPC villages, Dungeons etc have been added to my already created worlds. But they appear on newly created ones. Does this mean I'm going to have to start a new world and begin from scratch? :(

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Limecake said:
If any of you take time out of playing the game to post can anyone give me some insight on the level up system yet?

I downloaded the 'leaked' version but leveling up was useless in the pre-release and it was the most exciting part of the update for me.

I LOVE creative mode, although I'd like to know how to toggle flying on and off, did it once but couldn't figure out how to do it again.

something about generating a new world and filling it with TNT that's just too much fun.
Nothing interesting will happen with the leveling system until 1.9. Not sure how it will affect the game.

Edit: To fly jump off a block that's about 3 blocks off the ground and double tap the space bar. Then press space to elevate and shift to descend. Touch the ground to stop flying.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
PieBrotherTB said:
Ranorak said:
So I'm not the only one building a skybridge? Awesome.
I think you quoted the wrong guy...

Anyway, this just in: the Bone Meal is the single most useful item in the game. Farm + Bone meal supply = instant food whenever you want it! What with the new food bar, this is essential...