Minecraft Explained Through Accidental Arson

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Minecraft Explained Through Accidental Arson

If you still don't quite understand what Minecraft is, there's no better way to explain it than by watching a player accidentally burn his house down.

The popularity of Markus Persson's Penny Arcade [http://www.minecraft.net/] strips are focusing on it. But what the heck is this independent game that began as the project of a single developer? It's a game where you can accidentally burn your house down.

Sure, this fan-made video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaMTedT6P0I] might work better as an actual game trailer, but it's not nearly as funny as watching someone commit an inadvertent act of arson that shows off Minecraft's emergent gameplay. When a player was attempting to create a tutorial video on how to "make indefinite fire" in the game, he ended up completely destroying his well-built home.

In the video, the builder is seen traveling through his detailed house and placing a piece of wood into what looks like a stone fireplace, which he then lights on fire. It all goes wrong when that fire somehow spreads through the stone to his wooden walls and nearby bookcase, and it eventually destroys the entire structure.

It doesn't get much better than when the video's narrator is stopped mid-sentence when he notices the fire, saying "uh-oh" and hustling to try to put it out with water and later repeatedly smashing the flaming blocks of wood as they quickly multiply.

If we can learn anything from this, it's that fire should never be played with, whether in real life or in Minecraft. To those who built the entire city of Columbia [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103598-Fans-Build-BioShock-Infinite-in-Minecraft] in the game: Don't start a fire anytime soon, okay?

Source: Bitmob [http://www.bitmob.com/articles/guy-accidentally-burns-down-his-minecraft-house]

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
That's hilarious xD

I still need to try minecraft, I've seen so much of it lately and it looks awesome.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Zeromaeus said:
@Trogdor: Its really good. Ten dollars well spent in my opinion.
Yeah, it seems it, especially since it's one guy doing it and you get the full versions that come out later.

I'm really pissed off about the Paypal thing with him too, poor guy.

Varchld

is drunk and disorderly.
Nov 8, 2008
Yeah, well worth getting, though if you hold off till it's more developed, like out of the Alpha stages, then you shouldn't get bored of it after the first 40 hours of play time like I have.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
well the first half of that video was dull as ditchwater but his demonstration made me giggle like a school girl.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Varchld said:
Yeah, well worth getting, though if you hold off till it's more developed, like out of the Alpha stages, then you shouldn't get bored of it after the first 40 hours of play time like I have.
If you wait, you have to pay twenty dollars instead of ten...

o_O

Jul 19, 2009
I will burn in hell for laughing at that. As far as I understand (having no imagination and so never playing the game), crap is persistent, so there's no loading to a previous save. Poor guy.

Canadian Briton

May 1, 2010
I lol'd
I'm playing minecraft right now, I tried making a dirt fortress at the top of a hill, didn't go so well. And now I making a dirt fortress with a lava moat.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Hahaha. This video actually made me laugh. That's hilarious.

I've tried Minecraft before, but I didn't know that you could really make cool-looking houses like that.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
I need to get around to joining a server, all the cool stuff happens there.

Also, it seems no one has posted the best trailer so far.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Oh dear, poor guy, it felt so sad watching him lose all that stuff after building it.. feel so guilty finding it unintentionally hilarious :p

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
So all of a sudden I want to play Minecraft.

Well, when the website's back online, anyway.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Break said:
So all of a sudden I want to play Minecraft.

Well, when the website's back online, anyway.
It's free right now, you have to do something like don't enter any account info into the launcher, and the sound files are missing because so many people downloaded it, but you can still play.

Also you can get the sound files from some people who are smart enough to figure out where they are.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
I think this may be as good a place as any to advertise the MineCraft user group.
Yeah...