Minecraft Getting Scarier After Halloween Update

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Supposedly all torches currently in place in the game will get converted to lanters, to keep player bases from being overrun when the update hits. So an easy way to bypass the lantern issue is to just place a ton of torches all over the place, and then go about and collect 'em when they turn into lanterns. That way you'll have a surplus.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I'm tempted to play this game, and it's 50% off at the moment. Still... I really need people to play it with. It's like Second Life you can have loads of fun exploring and creating on your own, but you really need some people to mess about with.

Danzaivar said:
Teleporting through hell? Is that a 40k reference
We'll have to find a way to craft Gellar Fields from stone and wood.

Elec0

The Master of Fractals
May 29, 2009
Danzaivar said:
Teleporting through hell? Is that a 40k reference, or an event horizon reference?

Either way, VERY cool. Slipspace ftw!
Actually it's a Wheel of Time reference, he said so on Twitter, I think.

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
NO! STOP TEMPTING ME! WILL... NOT... PLAY... MINECRAFT... :p
I tried that, I failed.

Thought it was just another Facebook type game and that it would pass eventually.

After watching a few Youtube vids by SSoHPKC I just had to try it.

Best $15 I ever spent, keep the updates coming...
Tom Goldman said:
Even tougher, torches will now die, though they can be reignited with flint. Thankfully, lanterns are a permanent light source.
Allow me to use that red dust to make infinite torches then!! There's not enough uses for that powder, I ain't making any switches or whatever...

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
Z(ombie)fan said:
I heard that already placed torches will change into lanterns, while the easier to make torches (the ones placed post-update) will be on a limited source.
Oh, well that's good.

Well, all the updates sound good to me.

So when the final game is finished (after many months), did I hear that the price will increase and people who have already payed will have to pay the difference? Kinda unfortunate, I'm pretty sure he's already covered the extra development cost a few weeks ago... >.>

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
The funny (or depressing) thing is that if you check out Notch's blog people are still pissed off about this because it means that there will be no major weekly updates between now and then.

Retodon8

Jun 25, 2008
Last Bullet said:
Dumb new-guy question, if I've been playing the offline Alpha mode do I have to download the new version manually? Or does it update itself?
Yes, the game downloads new updates automatically as soon as you start the executable and log in with your account.
Well, actually...

I had to manually re-download the update before last, but the official forum explained that.
Also the last update didn't happen either, and now it says "Outdated launcher".
In other words, the updating is a bit messier than it should be right now, but I'm expecting things to happen automatically again in the future.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
I'm tempted to play this game, and it's 50% off at the moment. Still... I really need people to play it with. It's like Second Life you can have loads of fun exploring and creating on your own, but you really need some people to mess about with.

Danzaivar said:
Teleporting through hell? Is that a 40k reference
We'll have to find a way to craft Gellar Fields from stone and wood.
Wait what? Where do you see it 50% off?

(Edit: wait never mind, you mean 50% off the eventual full version price.)

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
The addition of a watch/clock is welcome news and the whole torch thing is fine as long as lanterns are permanent. What's this biome feature though? I've only been playing for about a week, and have yet to hear about it.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Good to see he's not having money baths in everything he's making (like I would) and putting that awesome noodle to work with some great new content. What an awesome guy this minecraft dude is.

/respect

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Danzaivar said:
Teleporting through hell? Is that a 40k reference, or an event horizon reference?

Either way, VERY cool. Slipspace ftw!
Apparently, it's an "actually teleporting through hell" reference.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Dirty Apple said:
The addition of a watch/clock is welcome news and the whole torch thing is fine as long as lanterns are permanent. What's this biome feature though? I've only been playing for about a week, and have yet to hear about it.
Biomes are usually different mini-ecosystems found within a larger ecosystem.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
torches will now die, though they can be reignited with flint.
I just died a little inside.
IMO flint is much more valuable than a cheap torch, not worth the cost of re-lighting it.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
Wolf Devastator said:
Z(ombie)fan said:
I heard that already placed torches will change into lanterns, while the easier to make torches (the ones placed post-update) will be on a limited source.
Oh, well that's good.

Well, all the updates sound good to me.

So when the final game is finished (after many months), did I hear that the price will increase and people who have already payed will have to pay the difference? Kinda unfortunate, I'm pretty sure he's already covered the extra development cost a few weeks ago... >.>
once again, incorrect. :p

its "50% off" in the unfinished state, but you won't need to pay again if You bought it now.
Unless the creator himself has been lying this whole time.

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
Z(ombie)fan said:
its "50% off" in the unfinished state, but you won't need to pay again if You bought it now.
Unless the creator himself has been lying this whole time.
Hmm, thought I read it on one of the Escapist news pieces, I must've read it backwards, and upside down. And probably on Kotaku...

Sneaky-Pie

Sep 22, 2008
AC10 said:
Sneaky-Pie said:

From the Escapist Server we have going.
Is the server 24/7 and public? I'd love to join!
Sure is. Check out the Usergroup for more information.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Minecraft-Appreciation-Club

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
AC10 said:
Tom Goldman said:
torches will now die, though they can be reignited with flint.
I just died a little inside.
IMO flint is much more valuable than a cheap torch, not worth the cost of re-lighting it.
Not to mention that speed is often the biggest priority when lighting tunnels so just shoving down new torches will be a more desirable alternative. I hope lanterns have a wider reach because otherwise lighting large cave systems permanantly will be hell. Same for large houses and beacons.