Minecraft Getting Scarier After Halloween Update

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Minecraft Getting Scarier After Halloween Update

Minecraft is celebrating Halloween by making the game ever scarier, not that the cute pumpkins being added have anything to do with it.

Minecraft [http://www.minecraft.net] developer Markus Persson has announced that a fairly significant update will be hitting later this month on October 31, i.e. Halloween. While the addition of pumpkin cubes is a no-brainer, he'll also be adding a whole bunch of other new features and implementing gameplay alterations.

But first: the pumpkins. Players will be able to carve Jack-o-Lantern cubes that can also be worn as helmets. Persson says the fashion statement is "useless," but I couldn't disagree more. Wearing a pumpkin on your head should be a feature of every game.

If you don't have a pumpkin obsession like me, the Halloween update will still be something you'll want to download. It'll add a brand new "hell world" used for fast travel, which will apparently translate any movement within it to a much longer trip in the game's normal world. Portal in and move 10 meters, and see yourself hundreds of meters away once you portal out.

New monsters dubbed "actually difficult" will be released, and players will face even more dangerous underground depths. With the update, the deeper players go, the brighter the surroundings have to be for them to stay safe. Even tougher, torches will now die, though they can be reignited with flint. Thankfully, lanterns are a permanent light source.

Players will also be able to use the game's fishing rod to actually catch some fish come Halloween. A craftable watch is another new addition that will let players know when they can emerge from their hiding spots. Further, October 31 will bring with it the repair of certain bugs, the biome feature, better music, better sound effects, and possibly even more. I guess that all that money [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103828-MineCraft-Makes-350-000-a-Day] is really going to good use already.

Source: Minecraft [http://www.minecraft.net/boo/]

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Well this looks to be exciting, kinda worried about the Torches going out, but that does add to the environment a lot. On whole this Minecraft Addict approves

Last Bullet

Apr 28, 2010
Actually difficult? Oh boy.

Dumb new-guy question, if I've been playing the offline Alpha mode do I have to download the new version manually? Or does it update itself?

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
I wonder what could be SSSSSSSSSo SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSScary in Mincraft. It'SSSSSSSSSSSSS not like the game haSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS anything really SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSStartling in it now.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Something more difficult then legions of the hissing beasts!?!?!?

Hoooooooboy. Anyone else need a new pair of underwear?

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Sneaky-Pie said:
-pic snip-
From the Escapist Server we have going.
I'd have to come along and change the stone for proper stone and add glass/wool in the middle if I joined that.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I don't really get what Minecraft is. Is there a whole objective to it or do you just go around and dig stuff? And how do you dig? Whatever, I might get it but probably not, but jack-o-lanterns are awesome.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
but i like that the torches last forever, i have about a hundred of them and most of them are in impossible to reach places, i cant run up from my underground city of the lost every so often to light the torches, that patch better add robots too that will do these mundane tasks for you so i, the hero, can focus on building and killing.

thats like adding a timer to sandbox zombie killing game that makes it so that you can never go too far away or have too much fun before having to track down a magical item and give it to your daughter in yet another horrible and awkward cut scene.

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
Last Bullet said:
Actually difficult? Oh boy.

Dumb new-guy question, if I've been playing the offline Alpha mode do I have to download the new version manually? Or does it update itself?
Offline, you mean as in "not registered, play offline" mode? Then yes, you'll have to pirate the newer version when it comes out :p (Updates are automatically downloaded when you log into the game with your registered account)

Also, huzzah for minecraft, may it live long and prosper!

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Sweet, actually looking forward to this next update!

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Hopefully he will fix the multiplayer 'invincible everything' damage model. Then I'll have a reason to get my multiplayer server running again.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Teleporting through hell? Is that a 40k reference, or an event horizon reference?

Either way, VERY cool. Slipspace ftw!

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Jumplion said:
I don't really get what Minecraft is. Is there a whole objective to it or do you just go around and dig stuff? And how do you dig? Whatever, I might get it but probably not, but jack-o-lanterns are awesome.
Not to sound snide, but it is a game about mining and crafting. It happens to also have a survival / adventure element to it. The real fun, though, is utilizing the resources in your environment to shape it. And running from creepers.

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
I'm worried about the torches dying out too. He should at least let players keep a lit torch in their hand then. Minecraft might have a lot of grinding, digging and digging, but going to light up hundreds of torches again and again doesn't sound fun at all.
At least there's a reward in digging.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
Swaki said:
but i like that the torches last forever, i have about a hundred of them and most of them are in impossible to reach places, i cant run up from my underground city of the lost every so often to light the torches, that patch better add robots too that will do these mundane tasks for you so i, the hero, can focus on building and killing.

thats like adding a timer to sandbox zombie killing game that makes it so that you can never go too far away or have too much fun before having to track down a magical item and give it to your daughter in yet another horrible and awkward cut scene.
I heard that already placed torches will change into lanterns, while the easier to make torches (the ones placed post-update) will be on a limited source.

also, I place this game next to majora's mask and System Shock 2

and they are making it worse... oohh boy...

Shihoudani

Oct 3, 2009
I'm a little worried about torches going out over time... I may have to redesign my methods of cavern exploration if that's the case. In the end this update just has me even more excited then before!

Hands down one of the best indie games I've ever played. :)