Minecraft Hit With Legal Complaint From Golf Company

Preacher zer0

Jun 13, 2010
Putt Putt you dumbass! Learn2minecraft!

How the fuck can Mojang be responsible for what users build?

It's like accusing microsoft of racism because the KKK wrote a nasty letter using Office.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Somebody made a poster of Iron Man advertising their sports venue in Photoshop before printing and then posting it outside their building. I'm going to cease-and-desist the paper and ink manufacturers and Adobe!

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
So, someone else has to be sick of these sensationalist topic titles, right?

OT: Yeah, this won't last long. And even on the insanely small chance that this does negatively impact Minecraft or Minecraft's community, expect a lot of hell to be raised over it. So much so, that Putt Putt will come out of it regretting ever even considering doing what they did.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
waj9876 said:
How's this sensationalist, it's exactly what happened. A Golf company sent Mojang a legal complaint about something relating to Minecraft.

Whilst I'm sure most judges would be favourable to Mojang in this case, you can't deny the US legal system has a massive history of xenophobia when it comes to dealing with foreign companies being taken to task by US ones. (I.e. Apple vs Samsng for a recent high profile example of this).

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Wow...
This is the same as if they'd sue Microsoft because someone made an unauthorized drawing of their logo in MS Paint.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Of course it will end up in nothing.
I don't really blame Putt-Putt for the random C&D order because as [a href="http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/848-mojang-to-cease-and-desistputt-putt/"]it was said on the Minecraft forums[/a], it's just easier for them this way.

Check the quote yourself.
Minecraft Forums said:
Often, the legal department of a company will automatically send cease-and-desist letters to anything their searches turn up that might match their criteria, without reviewing the material in detail. This can seem like a senseless action to anyone who's not been a part of a major corporation's legal team; however, they often have oceans of these kinds of claims to sort through, and it's often simpler to send out blanket requests, with the expectation that legitimate claims will be responded to. For the rest of us, it can result in hilarious misfires, like this one.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
How is having your brand name associated with golf a bad thing? Thousands of people who don't normally play golf could potentially earn Putt Putt money because of this. Most companies would pay for this kind of brand recognition.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
waj9876 said:
Pretty sure a cease and desist letter counts as a legal complaint. It's pretty accurate to me.

Aedes said:
I don't really blame Putt-Putt for the random C&D order because as [a href="http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/848-mojang-to-cease-and-desistputt-putt/"]it was said on the Minecraft forums[/a], it's just easier for them this way.

Minecraft Forums said:
Often, the legal department of a company will automatically send cease-and-desist letters to anything their searches turn up that might match their criteria, without reviewing the material in detail. This can seem like a senseless action to anyone who's not been a part of a major corporation's legal team; however, they often have oceans of these kinds of claims to sort through, and it's often simpler to send out blanket requests, with the expectation that legitimate claims will be responded to. For the rest of us, it can result in hilarious misfires, like this one.
Makes sense, and like the quote says, pretty funny to see the misfires.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
Wow. I know not all legal cases are petty and misinformed, just the one's we hear about, but seriously... I'm getting pretty jaded with the whole "sue over the slightest perceived offense" culture so prominent in the business world. Ah well, at least I can laugh at all the idiot lawyers who get caught in the middle trying to make a few quick bucks.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
This is why Minecraft needs to be an always online game. People can't be trusted can they? This poor old Putt-Putt company is just one example of the struggles of the modern business.

Mojang are nothing but a bunch of thieves out to steal money from poor old Putt-Putt. Shame on you Mojang.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I dont understand how this is a detriment to them. I mean, oka, maybe people are making their own mini golf maps on minecraft instead of going to the actual course, but shouldnt they be more worried about PGA and other golf licensed games that are doing the same?

THough I have to admit, that letter head is hysterically awesome in regard to the letter content.

Roander

Dec 27, 2009
Aedes said:

Minecraft Forums said:
How does 'easier' make it acceptable? Just sending letters to people threatening legal action when you haven't even bothered to check whether any such action is warranted is incompetent and irresponsible. If this is just one case where the lawyers got confused or didn't do a good job checking their facts then yes, it's hilarious, but what's described in that forum post sounds like general harassment.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
"Free advertising?!? Why, I never! Jeeves, pass me my blunderbuss!" Because I picture those guys as old fashioned British fat cats...

But it does seem like they're shooting themselves in the foot... People are spreading the Put-Put love! Who gives a shit about them, anymore? Nobody. Except one of the biggest online communities in existence.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Longstreet said:
They are just trying to get their 15 minutes of fame. Probably no-one heard of them and they saw an opportunity.

This case will go absolutely nowhere.
No, Putt-Putt is a pretty well known company here in the states. But yeah, this case isn't going to go anywhere. The whole thing will probably be over and done with by the end of the week.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It's like all those many many many many MANY times that the customer blames me, the cashier, because we're out of .

I feel the same annoyance towards Putt Putt as Big Deal Customer #9001.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
As far as I can see it seems that, even if they wanted to, there isn't much Mojang can do here. They aren't producing the content, nor are they hosting it.

Balimaar

The Bass Fish
Sep 26, 2010
What I find funny about this is that I just googled putt putt.

10 pages into the 'normal' search there is nothing to do with minecraft.

Scrolled a decent way through image search... nothing for minecraft.

Video search? 5 pages in... nothing.

Look at their search terms. They actively put in a MineCraft keyword to bring the result they want up.

You know something? There is a childrens cartoony games series called Putt Putt. Maybe THEY should be sued for using their trademark!

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Surely the term putt putt has gone generic? I've lived in several countries and it's certainly the normal term for mini golf in all of them. I wasn't even aware there was a Putt Putt company until now.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Next thing you know, movie studios will be blaming Sony, Canon, and Nikon for people recording movies in the theater.

P.S. Thanks