MineCraft Masters Explain How They Rebuilt Rapture

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Kwil said:
Daemascus said:
Just saying but what would happen if you broke one of the windows?
Not much, really. Close up the access point, and the water would all disappear in short order. If you didn't close it? Well it really depends where. But unless you did it in the forge where there's that open lava, probably not a lot, really.. water prefers to drop straight down, and can flow 7 squares horizontally from any landing point. But the water level never rises from the landing point.. so it can't "fill up" a room.

So, crack a block on the bottom floor and you'd have a wet floor. The rest would be perfectly fine. Crack a block on the top floor, and you might have a bit of a mess as it flowed downward over stairs and through ladder shafts but nothing too serious.

Now in the forge? Well.. lave + water = cobblestone, so you could end up stoneblocking a good portion of the room. That'd be an ugly mess to clean.
doesn't lava + water = obsidian? that would be an ugly mess. obsidian takes forever to break.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Burst6 said:
Kwil said:
Daemascus said:
Not much, really. Close up the access point, and the water would all disappear in short order. If you didn't close it? Well it really depends where. But unless you did it in the forge where there's that open lava, probably not a lot, really.. water prefers to drop straight down, and can flow 7 squares horizontally from any landing point. But the water level never rises from the landing point.. so it can't "fill up" a room.

So, crack a block on the bottom floor and you'd have a wet floor. The rest would be perfectly fine. Crack a block on the top floor, and you might have a bit of a mess as it flowed downward over stairs and through ladder shafts but nothing too serious.

Now in the forge? Well.. lave + water = cobblestone, so you could end up stoneblocking a good portion of the room. That'd be an ugly mess to clean.
doesn't lava + water = obsidian? that would be an ugly mess. obsidian takes forever to break.
Only deep underground that I've noticed, do it higher up and it turns it into cobblestone.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
theSovietConnection said:
Burst6 said:
Kwil said:
Daemascus said:

Only deep underground that I've noticed, do it higher up and it turns it into cobblestone.
Really? on one server i built a small obsidian farm right on the surface and it worked just fine. Maybe it's just the server then.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Burst6 said:
Burst6 said:
Kwil said:
Daemascus said:

Really? on one server i built a small obsidian farm right on the surface and it worked just fine. Maybe it's just the server then.
Odd. Unless it's either random or only happens when lava flows into water.

Jester00

Sep 22, 2010
i'm on the fields of columbia at the moment. i pressed the w button 7 minutes long, i walked thru one tunnel 7 minutes long to see columbia, and now i can't visit it.

olendvcook

Aug 14, 2009
Burst6 said:
Burst6 said:
Kwil said:
Daemascus said:

Odd. Unless it's either random or only happens when lava flows into water.
Water + still lava= obsidian

Water + flowing lava = cobblestone

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
There's something about this game that makes you want to build something huge.
Yesterday I thought "I need more sand", but my floating tower (complete with water elevators) is kinda far from the beach.
So today I'm building a gigantic water slide that starts from the roof of the world and has several huge drops. It ends on the beach, where I can get sand.
Would it be easier to walk? SHUT UP

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
And I'm having trouble building a single glass tunnel underwater...
dududf said:
hmm...

If he's just trying to make rapture... Why doesn't he wall off the surrounding area. empty it of water, build rapture inside, expand the wall when needed, then at the end just flood it. Might need an OP to spawn some water blocks, but it'd work.
because emptying that amount of water is RIDICULOUSLY time-consuming.
And so is making Rapture.

It wouldn't take all that long, maybe 4 hours with a bunch of people. The rewards would outweigh the costs.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Is a man not entitled to enjoy the base he's built?

"NO!" says the Creeper "It belongs to ME!"

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
It was some real magic that went into that,

But I have to say... I was a little disheartened when I realized it wasn't actually underwater. Kinda killed it for me.

halkun

Aug 13, 2009
Tdc2182 said:

But I have to say... I was a little disheartened when I realized it wasn't actually underwater. Kinda killed it for me.
It is underwater. Where did you get the information that it wasn't?

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
cursedseishi said:

why the hell haven't I bought this game already?!
Do you have anything you want done in the next few months?

That's why.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
dududf said:
It wouldn't take all that long, maybe 4 hours with a bunch of people. The rewards would outweigh the costs.
No way bro. I've far far hollowed out smaller areas of rock (no re-propagation) and it took many hours even with help. Something the size of that area would take days if not weeks.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Nurb said:
Is a man not entitled to enjoy the base he's built?

"NO!" says the Creeper "It belongs to ME!"

That...is an awesome picture. Fucking creepers....

IT: Well...wow? That is damn impressive. I'll never make anything that ambitious...or rather, I'll never succeed at it :p

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
dududf said:
hmm...

If he's just trying to make rapture... Why doesn't he wall off the surrounding area. empty it of water, build rapture inside, expand the wall when needed, then at the end just flood it. Might need an OP to spawn some water blocks, but it'd work.
They'd run into height restriction problems. Alpha worlds are only 128 tiles high.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
halkun said:
Tdc2182 said:

It is underwater. Where did you get the information that it wasn't?
I saw the video. Technically most of the structure is under water, but it is done by putting infinite streams on top of the constructs. They just put waterfalls over each window. It isn't in any ocean or large body of water.

There is a part where he is looking around from the top of the city and walks into one of the infinite springs. He goes outside momentarily, and you see that almost all of it is outside water.

spartan1077

Aug 24, 2010
"Arghinflargsabinm" in minecraftian roughly translates to "What is the server IP of this awesome server. I must check it out". So anyone know?