Minecraft Middle-Earth Will Melt Your Mind

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Minecraft Middle-Earth Will Melt Your Mind

In what is easily the most mind-blowing Minecraft project yet, the dedicated builders of Minecraft Middle-Earth [http://www.minecraftmiddleearth.com/] have created an almost-to-scale model of J.R.R. Tolkien's famed fantasy world - all of it.

Minecraft is one of the most powerful virtual building tools ever made and a lot of people have done some pretty amazing things with it, but I haven't seen anything that even approaches this. What we have here is Middle Earth - not just Rivendell or Weathertop or Moria, but the whole damn thing - inside and out, recreated at 1:3 and 1:4 scale, and built almost entirely by hand.

To give you an idea of how big this world really is, at around the 9:50 mark the host of the tour asks how long it would take to get from the party's present position to landmarks that casual Lord of the Rings [http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Picture-Trilogy-Extended/dp/B0026L7H20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311792690&sr=8-1] fans would recognize. "We're only about 15 minutes away from Bree," is the reply. "With Rivendell, we're about three-ish hours away. Moria, we're about six hours away."

"You guys are sick," the host said. "You need help."

The first half-hour of the video shows off the amazing scale of the world but if you want to cut right to the really mind-blowing stuff you can go to Rivendell at the 29 minute mark, or the stunning Mines of Moria at 33 minutes. The Prancing Pony at 16 minutes is also worth a look, if only to get a sense of just how detailed this thing really is.

The Minecraft Middle-Earth team is now expanding its creation into the Northern Kingdom of Arnor, which will include Fornost and possibly Annuminas.

And you can consider my mind blown.

via: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/23/mind-blowing-middle-earth-manufactured-in-minecraft/]

hydroblitz

May 15, 2009
I think Jesse is making two more videos to show the whole thing. I think it's cool they are doing it, but if I were to make something so big, it would be my own ideas. anyways, I think Tolkien would be proud of this.

Valate_v1legacy

Sep 16, 2009
That's still much smaller than you're making it sound. Rivendell is roughly a weeks travel from Bree, even Weathertop is a good 48 hour hike. The Mines of Moria? That's a good month long journey from Bree. So I'll say it's pretty huge, but nothing absolutely mind blowing.

banthro

Aug 11, 2009
Annuminas is actually already built, it was finished before Moria, because Moria was too complex to do it without a server expert helping.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
One of the players is named after something of Inheritance.

I am no longer interested.

(Sillyness aside, this is a little admirable, and more than a little pityable.)

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
And I find myself caring less aboutr this.

Okay, cool you redid middle-earth, good for you. But I just look at it and go meh.

Whih is not fair for them because it is impressive. I just don't care about it.

Chasing-The-Light

Jul 16, 2011
Sooo..... when do I get to play that world? ;D

Seriously, though, that's amazing. I've wanted to construct things that big before, but I just don't have the will power and patience for that. xD Props to those guys.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Valate said:
That's still much smaller than you're making it sound. Rivendell is roughly a weeks travel from Bree, even Weathertop is a good 48 hour hike. The Mines of Moria? That's a good month long journey from Bree. So I'll say it's pretty huge, but nothing absolutely mind blowing.
Just for clarity - have you played Minecraft?

OT : Oh my. That's... It's beautiful. Really, truly amazing. I'd bow down in worship if my head hadn't sploded from that video.

I don't have anything to say, actually. "Beautiful"? "Amazing"? Doesn't really cover it. It's beyond mere words.

I hope that file is available for download so I could explore it in Single Player, because DAYUM!

Yuri990

Jan 21, 2009
This makes me sad. I just had the idea to do this last night and was going to start rounding up people to do it. But these guys.. I have to give them due credit. They win. It's epic.

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
I'm going to go ahead and say that they just beat Minecraft... Also I want them to let us download that world for adventure mode, that would be amazing!

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
AWWWW COME ON! I literally just finished building my scale model of Helm's Deep a week ago. And then they go and do this?!

I wish I could say not cool, but this is too awesome for me to be bitter.
Andy Chalk said:
"You guys are sick," the host said. "You need help."
This is pretty much the same response I got when I showed my friends Helm's deep.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Valate said:
This is Minecraft, though. An hour travel distance is considered a ludicrous amount. They want to expand it, but they've hit the limit for map generation. Apparently after so far the random generation starts getting extremely odd, so Notch slapped on a limit.

I want a download of the map. D:

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Scizophrenic Llama said:
Apparently after so far the random generation starts getting extremely odd, so Notch slapped on a limit.
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Far_Lands

(Summary: Boy howdy, does it get odd!)

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I will grant this is quite impressive.

However, if I ever got that guy as a guide that I had to be with for 45 minutes, I would blow my brains out at 15 minutes. His voice just grates on me. Also he needs to work on his guiding skills as missing Buckland completely and then backtracking from Bree to see the Barrow Downs and Tom Bombadil's house is bad form, especially considering the size of the map.
(Or maybe it was bad editing on Jesse's part.)

I wouldn't mind seeing something else being rendered like this, like Ansalon and Narnia.