Minecraft Player Creates a Link to Zelda's Past

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Minecraft Player Creates a Link to Zelda's Past

A Minecraft player's latest creation will bring back fond memories for fans of the SNES.

If you were stuck on a deserted island with a Super Nintendo and only a single game to play until rescue, you should hope that the game is The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Swords-Game-Boy-Advance/dp/B00006LELB]. Easily one of the best Zelda games in the franchise's history, the game had a giant overworld map that held tons of secrets and nooks to explore. This map has been recreated by a nostalgic Minecraft player with an impressive level of accuracy.

YouTube's DoubleOBond took 108 hours and 59 minutes to create the map, which is 512 x 512 x 104 in Minecraft blocks. To the best of his ability, DoubleOBond included every bush, trail, and rock. The world is still lacking in Octoroks and Moblins, but to add them would be a much bigger job.

Every location found in Link to the Past is there, from Hyrule Castle to the Lost Woods to Link's rainy hometown. Here's the map from the SNES version of Link to the Past for comparison:

It looks pretty good to me. If there's one thing I'm glad was left out, it's those accursed falling boulders. DoubleOBond plans to adjust the map as Minecraft creator Markus Persson adds new features into the game, and even hopes to link to dungeons and interiors when teleporting is patched in. He also wants to create Link to the Past's dark world, an unfriendly version of the light world seen here. There must be a way to add pots to smash too, because it's not Zelda without those.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ2BcvowYl8]

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Holy fuck that is awesome. That probably seems like a pretty weak comment but seriously, damn. It's too awesome for words. Nice job DoubleOBond.

Kiyotaki

Dec 21, 2010
OMG Link to the past Re-created DoubleOBond should get something amazing for all his efforts

Jan 23, 2009
The minecraft projects never fail to impress me. Moreso now that Ive played minecraft myself for a while, and know how difficult it is to do something like that.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
My word, that is beautiful.

Tom Goldman said:
The world is still lacking in Octoroks and Moblins, but to add them would be a much bigger job.
And for some reason my brain turned that into an image of CD-i Link getting blown up by a creeper. Thank you for helping me connect those neurons, they're much happier now.

Tom Goldman said:
There must be a way to add pots to smash too, because it's not Zelda without those.
Of all the possible add-ons listed, that would be the most trivial!

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I know a couple people on the server I play on are playing through Ocarina of Time and building everything. They had just got to Hyrule field. I went to youtube see if anyone else was had done the same, but nothing was as good. The server is offline until after the holidays, but I'll load up fraps and post a couple videos when it comes back online.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Over 100 hours. My goodness. I don't what to say except...damn. This guy has such patience to make such a map.

blue spartan 11

Oct 13, 2009
THat is way too awesome. That made me restart a new game in "A Link to the Past". Now he just need to recreate the Dark world in the Nether.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Sneaklemming said:
The minecraft projects never fail to impress me. Moreso now that Ive played minecraft myself for a while, and know how difficult it is to do something like that.
Definitely gives you an appreciation what the Army Corps of Engineers go through doing all their real life projects. Those guys move islands!
Definitely appreciable work here for Link's world.

RMcD94

Nov 25, 2009
He should make a request in the modding section over at the minecraft forum. Those two creatures probably wouldn't be that hard to add in.

IAmTheVoid

Apr 26, 2009
Sober Thal said:
I don't get it.

This is worse than the Little Big Planet 2 FFVII, or Portal failure.

I must be wrong tho... after reading the responses so far, you would think people actually see the Zelda game from this video.

I don't, so I must have a bad memory.

Sorry to be the guy who doesn't like this, but I feel the need to say it looks like nothin special.
You need to stretch your imagination a bit and see it from the first-person view, not the isometric one. And what's the "Little Big Planet 2 FFVII, or Portal failure"? I'm confused.