Minecraft Player Needs Help Building Scale Star Trek Enterprise

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Minecraft Player Needs Help Building Scale Star Trek Enterprise

In Minecraft, one player is boldly building what no man has built before, and he needs help.

I always knew that Star Trek's Enterprises were big, but never did the true enormity of the ships actually hit me until I saw one recreated in Minecraft [http://www.minecraft.net/]. A player named Hal Nicholas has completed a Minecraft framework of the series' Enterprise-D, and though he didn't do it totally legit, that doesn't stop his work from being awesome.

Nicholas' framework is basically a 1-1 scale model of the actual Enterprise-D if it were a real starship. That makes it pretty gigantic. Nicholas even had to make his model 22% bigger than the original so that Minecraft players could walk around without bumping their heads all the time. It comes complete with docking ports, deflector dish, and space for a Turbolift.

He created his Enterprise by making a model in a separate program and converting it into a Minecraft-compatible format. Each section was then imported into the game. The decks still need to be fleshed out, for which Nicholas hopes to put the creation online so that people can help. As he says, the Enterprise is "fucking enormous," so he can't do it by himself.

This Enterprise is actually so large that it will require a bigger-than-standard game depth to put online, so Nicholas still has a few obstacles to overcome. He's aware that someone might also just try to Bioshock Infinite's Columbia [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103643-Minecraft-Explained-Through-Accidental-Arson], are only the beginning of Minecraft players' enormous creations.

Source: Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/djs2s/dude_makes_11_scale_of_the_star_trek_enterprise/]

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Wow, I cant wait to see what it's like when it's done. You should do a follow up article if he makes a vid when he finishes.

EDIT: Seeing as it will be predominately made of metal (or rock if he just wants the color) then I doubt it will burn.

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
That's... that's insane. I'm not a Star Trek fan, but this is still the coolest thing I have seen yet in Minecraft. Anyone wanna start work on a 1-1 scale Star Destroyer?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Minecraft seems to be the grown up geek version of LEGO... (and no, I'm not saying that's a bad thing)

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Just because of the vast depth needed for this... If someone sets it on fire, I vote we hunt them down

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Jesus...that's ridiculously enormous.
I hope it looks awesome when it's finished.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Dayuum. I look forward to seeing more crazy stuff in the following months.

..Rapture, anyone?

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
This is quickly escaping the realms of 'a game' I see other applications, sadly I think its getting out of hand for the creator to handle such a stream of popularity, he needs to spend some of that money on hiring help or people are going to quickly move on.

That is just my opinion, I don't assume to know the mind of the masses.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
holy crap...

that is awesome... and big, very big.

I would never be able to do that. Man, I have got to try minecraft...

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
That's devotion right there. If someone did set it on fire I'd be sickened but laugh uncontrollably.

Elec0

The Master of Fractals
May 29, 2009
Holy Jesus that's huge.
And it's made out of stone, so it couldn't be set on fire.
But yeah, that's completely awesome.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
jwien001 said:
That's... that's insane. I'm not a Star Trek fan, but this is still the coolest thing I have seen yet in Minecraft. Anyone wanna start work on a 1-1 scale Star Destroyer?
There isn't a world big enough to house a 1-1 Star Destroyer. You could make a small one though, and I'm kind've surprsied nobody's made a miniture Deathstar yet.

This though, is totally awesome, if completely insane.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
Hawk of Battle said:
jwien001 said:
There isn't a world big enough to house a 1-1 Star Destroyer. You could make a small one though, and I'm kind've surprsied nobody's made a miniture Deathstar yet.

Judging on how big a star wars shuttle is compared to the docking bay... Star destroyers wouldn't be that much larger than the enterprise.

So yeah...

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
seriously, isnt this like the 3rd minecraft story today? also thats awesome, i just never could get into minecraft

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Ossian said:
Hawk of Battle said:
jwien001 said:

Judging on how big a star wars shuttle is compared to the docking bay... Star destroyers wouldn't be that much larger than the enterprise.

So yeah...
An Imperial Star Destroyer has a length of 1600 meters while the Enterprise-D has a length of 642.5 meters.