Minecraft Punch-Out!! Homage Will Blow Your Mind

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Minecraft Punch-Out!! Homage Will Blow Your Mind

I've got something to show you, but you should probably be sitting down first.

Alright, before I get to the mind-blowing part, I want you all to watch the clip embedded at right. Go ahead. I'll go make a sandwich in the mean time.

Okay, done? That was a cute lil' clip from Nintendo's classic Punch-Out!!, right? Well, yes and no. It was a cute lil' clip from that classic game, but it wasn't taken within the NES classic. That video was created by Minecraft players manipulating blocks within the game one at a time to essentially mimic the process Nintendo's console used every time it had to draw a new screen during play. Every single frame of that video was hand-crafted in what is possibly the most mind-numbingly meticulous way imaginable.

Given the clip's two-minute-plus runtime that is a frankly insane amount of precise block manipulation.

Now that you know the trick behind the clip, you may also be interested in the below video documenting the process behind animating something like this within the Minecraft engine.

So, readers, I toss it to you: Obviously the end result here is pretty neat, but the amount of work that goes into it is truly insane. Do these Minecraft players have far too much free time that could be better used working toward a cure for cancer? Or is this exactly as important as saving the lives of millions of people annually?

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
How do people even have time to do that sort of thing...

nerdpride

Dec 15, 2009
Not impressive--it takes more work to make those screens in the first place. They do better as pixels than as wool or whatever in Minecraft, too.

Stuff doesn't have to be 100% original, but a 1:1 copy of pixels is just a waste of time.

Also, why must people joke about how much cancer could be cured? I could spend the rest of my life on cancer, make absolutely no progress (most likely), and get less recognition than someone who puts cat videos on youtube.

Zetsubou-Sama

Mar 31, 2010
Today I started playing minecraft after being inspired by works like this, I spent my first night in a hole with a single torh :'(

Gregg Lonsdale

Jan 14, 2011
When I first watched the video before reading the article (like it said to) I thought the redstone circuit computers had taken a MASSIVE leap forward in terms of usefulness.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009

Well, I'm never getting Minecraft. All I'll be thinking about is whatever I make in that game will never compare to this.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Wait a minute, is this just a series of pixel "art" screenshots, not some kind of redstone wizardry? Colour me unimpressed.

This is about as exciting as those people that make 2D Pokemon sprites in the game.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Well, there's a difference between making pixel art in mspaint, and having to manually remove and replace each pixel while being a size of an ant compared to the image you're manipulating.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Lets be honest here. Block manipulators could have invested every man-hour into cancer research and we'd probably have only backpeddled in scientific advancement.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
nerdpride said:
Also, why must people joke about how much cancer could be cured? I could spend the rest of my life on cancer, make absolutely no progress (most likely), and get less recognition than someone who puts cat videos on youtube.
Indeed. Taking a bunch of people who have, at most, four years of college education in a completely non-medical-related field and telling them to give up their free time to try to find a cure for cancer is going to be... counter productive to say the least.