Minecraft Shifting to Beta With Price Hike

Feb 11, 2009
Guest_Star said:
Number one! [http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/oslo--the-worlds-most-expensive-city-2155277.html]
Beer prices are usually around 8-12 ? for the swill that pass as pilsner over here, depending on perceived hipness of clubs.
Poor you, haha. You win. I'll go back to drinking my slightly cheaper Hoogaarden and Erdinger then. ;)

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
dathwampeer said:
Scars Unseen said:
dathwampeer said:
No. Because you're talking out of your ass.

What I described would be an engine whore or something. Big parts of the game play like the physics and the tools don't falll under graphics. I'm certainly not a graphics whore.

3DS max (along with maya) is the most powerful 3D tool out there. Good luck importing sewing or some furniture into a game.
seeing the leaves still hovering up there with a big chunk missing from the middle... It was kind fo a deal breaker.
Big parts of the game play like the physics and the tools don't falll under graphics
seeing the leaves still hovering
Big parts of the game play
game play
See the mismatch here? Just because your complaint involves physics does not mean that it is not related to the visual representation of the game, i.e., graphics. Unless you want me to believe that falling leaves would somehow improve the game such as to elevate it from a "deal breaker" to a "must have." And for the punching trees part of the complaint... sorry, I'm just not seeing it as an immersion breaker in a world made out of identically sized blocks. Heck, one of the most well known and popular games of console history involves a man who jumps on turtles and punches through brick walls. And he does it in one hit, unlike that Minecraft pansy.

As for that last comment... once again, you missed the point. I don't think poorly of programs like 3DS max, and I have respect for those who have mastered them. I'm just saying that anything can be dismissed with a one liner by those who haven't experienced it. An ignorant person could just have easily taken it further and said that sewing and cabinetry are also pointless due to the existence of Wal-Mart.
You're arguing misguided semantics. It's part of the physics engine, which is part of the gameplay. not the graphics... do you see the difference? Understand the terms before making a retarded argument.

To me. having an object be suspended in the air when you remove it's support is just bad engineering. It adds nothing to the game and is simply lazy. And being able to punch through wood and rocks is just another level of retarded.

And again, you're making a moot point. What is the justification of minecraft when you can just open 3DS and make something twice as impressive twice as fast?
Lazy? You're arguing that a single person is lazy for creating this game? He's put in more work into this than most major developers do.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Well, it's good to see Minecraft continue to evolve. I'm still not buying, if only for the silly reason that there's no way to take out spiders, and spiders only and arachnophobes are still being ridiculed on their forums.

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
I think notch(or whoever) said that he never planned on having realistic physics, this was a few months ago though, maybe that's changed. I still wouldn't say it's worth buying, the videos on youtube are pretty much exactly what you get and it does get boring after a couple days.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
All right...

I'll buy the darn thing. YOU WIN, INTERNET!
That was basically my thoughts. "I might really want to play this later... Guess I should buy it before the prices goes up and some of the perks go away."

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
theriddlen said:
15 euro is 60 pln (my country's currency). 60 pln is price of most games released in cheaper editons. 100 pln is the usual price for brand new games.

The price is too high.
So your currency trades at about 4-1 over the euro? So that means that brand new games come out at about 25 euros. That's a little over 33 US Dollars(my country's currency). And here brand new games retail at an economicly standardized price of $60 for console games, $50 for PC/MAC.

If we reverse it, that $50 is a little over 37 euros, and then adjusting again for the pin is 148 pin for a new game.

You're apparently getting your games at a steal, brand new out of the sealed box.

Faky

Oct 15, 2009
That really depends on the monthly income, doesn't it? :)

When one gets 400? for his work its really hard to expect that he would see 10? as a low price.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
ShadowKatt said:
theriddlen said:
15 euro is 60 pln (my country's currency). 60 pln is price of most games released in cheaper editons. 100 pln is the usual price for brand new games.

The price is too high.
So your currency trades at about 4-1 over the euro? So that means that brand new games come out at about 25 euros. That's a little over 33 US Dollars(my country's currency). And here brand new games retail at an economicly standardized price of $60 for console games, $50 for PC/MAC.

If we reverse it, that $50 is a little over 37 euros, and then adjusting again for the pin is 148 pin for a new game.

You're apparently getting your games at a steal, brand new out of the sealed box.
Currently 1 USD is 3 PLN, and one EUR is 4 PLN. Average salary here is (data for 2009) 3650 PLN = 1216 USD = 912.5 EUR, while average US salary basing on data from this site http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/cola/AWI.html is 3392 USD. Xbox 360 4GB with Kinect costs here (after conversion) 400 USD, while in US it is 300USD. iPad WiFi 32GB costs here 1100 USD while in US it is 600USD. (Prices are from bestbuy [us] and komputronik [my country])
So yeah, we do have cheaper games, but we get much less money, and if that wasn't enough almost everything else is more expensive. ...AND WE ARE HAP... okay, we are not. We're one of the worlds most frustrated nations:)

I would like to buy Minecraft, but i won't spend more than i spent on garry's mod (8$) on a similar thing. That's just too much for a thing that doesn't mean to me as much as Portal 2 and many other games that i'm planning to buy (and need to gather some money to buy them, because monthly i can spend freely only about 50-100PLN).

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Bought Minecraft, turned out to have a bug that rendered it basically unplayable which isn't going to get fixed.

You know what Minecraft? Screw you too you glorified scam.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
theriddlen said:
ShadowKatt said:
theriddlen said:

The price is too high.

Currently 1 USD is 3 PLN, and one EUR is 4 PLN. Average salary here is (data for 2009) 3650 PLN = 1216 USD = 912.5 EUR, while average US salary basing on data from this site http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/cola/AWI.html is 3392 USD. Xbox 360 4GB with Kinect costs here (after conversion) 400 USD, while in US it is 300USD. iPad WiFi 32GB costs here 1100 USD while in US it is 600USD. (Prices are from bestbuy [us] and komputronik [my country])
So yeah, we do have cheaper games, but we get much less money, and if that wasn't enough almost everything else is more expensive. ...AND WE ARE HAP... okay, we are not. We're one of the worlds most frustrated nations:)

I would like to buy Minecraft, but i won't spend more than i spent on garry's mod (8$) on a similar thing. That's just too much for a thing that doesn't mean to me as much as Portal 2 and many other games that i'm planning to buy (and need to gather some money to buy them, because monthly i can spend freely only about 50-100PLN).
holyshitsomeonedidtheirhomework o.o

Okay, money was never my strongsuit, I'll admit that up front. I was just looking at it logicly. But thanks for the lesson in international economics.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
Aeshi said:
Bought Minecraft, turned out to have a bug that rendered it basically unplayable which isn't going to get fixed.

You know what Minecraft? Screw you too you glorified scam.
so what's this game breaking bug??

weird to call it a scam when there's hundreds of thousands of players who apparently don't have this bug you speak of.

did you have a legitimate complaint or were you just trolling?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Every bit of terrain that doesn't have light shining on it disappears or become see through,even when they are visible the vast majority of blocks have glitched textures,every sound and track in the game is just static and shadows are red.Or is that not game breaking?

Or is this going to be a case of "I haven't seen that SPECIFIC error, therefore it doesn't exist and you are trolling?"

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
no that does sound pretty bad, however..what makes you think it "isn't going to get fixed" or that it indicates that the whole game is a scam?

and...did u submit a bug report?

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
dathwampeer said:
Hafrael said:
dathwampeer said:
Scars Unseen said:
dathwampeer said:

What I described would be an engine whore or something. Big parts of the game play like the physics and the tools don't falll under graphics. I'm certainly not a graphics whore.

3DS max (along with maya) is the most powerful 3D tool out there. Good luck importing sewing or some furniture into a game.
seeing the leaves still hovering up there with a big chunk missing from the middle... It was kind fo a deal breaker.
Big parts of the game play like the physics and the tools don't falll under graphics
game play
See the mismatch here? Just because your complaint involves physics does not mean that it is not related to the visual representation of the game, i.e., graphics. Unless you want me to believe that falling leaves would somehow improve the game such as to elevate it from a "deal breaker" to a "must have." And for the punching trees part of the complaint... sorry, I'm just not seeing it as an immersion breaker in a world made out of identically sized blocks. Heck, one of the most well known and popular games of console history involves a man who jumps on turtles and punches through brick walls. And he does it in one hit, unlike that Minecraft pansy.

As for that last comment... once again, you missed the point. I don't think poorly of programs like 3DS max, and I have respect for those who have mastered them. I'm just saying that anything can be dismissed with a one liner by those who haven't experienced it. An ignorant person could just have easily taken it further and said that sewing and cabinetry are also pointless due to the existence of Wal-Mart.
You're arguing misguided semantics. It's part of the physics engine, which is part of the gameplay. not the graphics... do you see the difference? Understand the terms before making a retarded argument.

To me. having an object be suspended in the air when you remove it's support is just bad engineering. It adds nothing to the game and is simply lazy. And being able to punch through wood and rocks is just another level of retarded.

And again, you're making a moot point. What is the justification of minecraft when you can just open 3DS and make something twice as impressive twice as fast?
Lazy? You're arguing that a single person is lazy for creating this game? He's put in more work into this than most major developers do.
And now he has a giant team working with him. It's still not been fixed.

He could also have used an existing engine to work the physics.
I'm going to jump in here and state that some blocks (sand and gravel) do have realistic physics, water and lava both flow like you'd expect them too aswell.

It's intended that blocks don't have physics except for those few, it's what makes those blocks unique.

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I got my entire department's office to buy a copy. And paying for expansions down the line was something I figured might happen, but since it won't be the beta, I'm okay with it. Nice to know that the almost-daily updates for minecraft have been leading up to something.

strum4h

Jan 3, 2009
GamingAwesome1 said:
dathwampeer said:
Hafrael said:
dathwampeer said:
Scars Unseen said:
dathwampeer said:

game play

And now he has a giant team working with him. It's still not been fixed.

He could also have used an existing engine to work the physics.
I'm going to jump in here and state that some blocks (sand and gravel) do have realistic physics, water and lava both flow like you'd expect them too aswell.

It's intended that blocks don't have physics except for those few, it's what makes those blocks unique.

It's not a bug, it's a feature!
There is actually an entry in the public to do list about this

"Perhaps all floating chunks of blocks should fall down, except for a special block (obsidian?) that can be used to make floating things. Floating islands would need obsidian veins to stay afloat."