Minecraft to require a Microsoft account, and all existing Mojang accounts will be forced to migrate to Microsoft accounts

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
Personally, not a fan. More than that, actually pretty upset at this. I know nothing changes from a gameplay perspective, but I am staunchly against Microsoft forcing account creation to play a game that was originally not their property. I have no real interest in making a Microsoft account to play Minecraft, but apparently I won't be able to play without one now. Pretty ridiculous honestly.

Also, can I just use this opportunity to say I hate the way Mojang does their announcements now? Every announcement seems like it's tailored towards children, and treats the reader like they're an idiot. I know a lot of kids play their game, but that doesn't mean that they have to say things in such dumbed down ways like the reader doesn't know what they're reading.

Not to mention they use this to almost poke fun at the people upset about this with their little Haiku at the bottom. As if the reason I don't want to see my account migrate is because I think it's going to be difficult. I know it'll be easy, it has to be to prevent any complaints. I simply don't want a Microsoft account, and I shouldn't need one to play Minecraft of all things.

This has me a little heated. Let me know what you guys think about this.

Edit: It also says that this change is mandatory, and any accounts that don't migrate won't have access to Minecraft anymore. Does this mean that if I don't migrate in time, I lose my account? They don't specify. If so, that's a blazing example of the issue with "games as a service"

Reactions: Masonicon

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I think it’s a basic bit of consolidation because Microsoft doesn’t want to maintain another account system when it has a perfectly functional and multipurpose one of its own.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
I think it’s a basic bit of consolidation because Microsoft doesn’t want to maintain another account system when it has a perfectly functional and multipurpose one of its own.
Yeah that's about my take on it. It's sensible to have a single account for all Microsoft related things. Just annoying since it wasn't originally but honestly doesn't seem like the biggest deal, just irritating to have to change whenever I next log in.

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
A lot of people are concerned about what will happen in the case that your Microsoft account gets banned however. Not to mention, users who are migrating who's name is already taken with Microsoft (For example, your Minecraft name is "Joe", and another "Joe" has a Microsoft account under that name. Your Minecraft name will be forced to change to accommodate).

> Additional player safety features will be rolled out over time.

This phrase alone doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence. I think this transition implies more than what's on the surface level. Of course we'll see what happens, but I'm not too confident it'll be anything good.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
A lot of people are concerned about what will happen in the case that your Microsoft account gets banned however. Not to mention, users who are migrating who's name is already taken with Microsoft (For example, your Minecraft name is "Joe", and another "Joe" has a Microsoft account under that name. Your Minecraft name will be forced to change to accommodate).

> Additional player safety features will be rolled out over time.

This phrase alone doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence. I think this transition implies more than what's on the surface level. Of course we'll see what happens, but I'm not too confident it'll be anything good.
Some people are concerned when their bacon is not perfectly perpendicular to their scrambled eggs. I see absolutely no reason to find this to be a concern since it is just literally Microsoft rolling a legacy account system into a live one. I imagine username changes will be allowed in case any conflicts arise.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
If it were another company I might be slightly more annoyed but I already have an MS account just to login to windows that I've just taken for granted, and it has existed since the dawn of time due to me having a hotmail and using msn messenger back in the day. So to me, this is them rolling something into something that I already have...

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Not a Minecraft player, but I thoroughly dislike these 'After the purchase' changes. Rocket League did the same thing, now needing to log in via the Epic store to play a game I purchased through Steam. Annoying.

Same reason there's zero chance of me buying an Oculus VR kit even though I'm in the market for a kit (not researched much yet, but imagine it'll be the VIVE)

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
tfw you get a student account tied to your uni's email and get to have a chemistry kit bumping atoms in Minecraft

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
Not a Minecraft player, but I thoroughly dislike these 'After the purchase' changes. Rocket League did the same thing, now needing to log in via the Epic store to play a game I purchased through Steam. Annoying.

Same reason there's zero chance of me buying an Oculus VR kit even though I'm in the market for a kit (not researched much yet, but imagine it'll be the VIVE)
I really hope Valve taps into the PC-less VR headset sooner rather than later. It's a great market, and I already own a Quest (Pre-Facebook requirement push). It's a great headset, shame the company behind it sucks.