Minecraft's Deadly New Ghasts Will Burn You

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Minecraft's Deadly New Ghasts Will Burn You

The scheduled Halloween Minecraft update will bring more to the game than the horrors of pumpkins.

Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson has revealed some of the specifics behind the game's upcoming Halloween update [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104031-Minecraft-Getting-Scarier-After-Halloween-Update], including one particular addition that will really heat things up. By heat things up, I mean burn people's faces off.

Notch divulged that a new creature called the Ghast will be added to Minecraft come Halloween. Ghasts are multiple-legged flying cubes with a face only a mother could love. Oh yeah, they shoot fireballs at you too.

Luckily, Ghasts can only be found in another new addition, the Hell region, and won't be able to burn your house down [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103643-Minecraft-Explained-Through-Accidental-Arson]. Hell (which may be renamed) was designed by Notch to give players a method of quick travel around the game's massive world, which can reportedly be 8 times as large as the surface of the Earth. Players can travel to Hell by creating a frame out of obsidian and then setting the center on fire, which creates a purple portal. However, once in Hell, unlucky players will have to deal with lots and lots of fire.

Ghasts not only shoot fireballs, but those fireballs ignite Hell's new red rock material that will burn forever unless doused. The advantage is that using Hell's portal system allows players to travel faster than they would in Minecraft's original world by a 16 to 1 ratio. It's a risk-versus-reward situation that sounds like it could get quite hairy. And hot.

Notch also revealed that six new block types will be added in the Halloween update, five of which will add a new function, and that the promised "biomes" feature, which generates various types of environments from tundra to desert, is planned for implementation. So look, if you think Notch isn't doing enough work on the game and it makes you so mad success [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104600-Minecraft-Multiplayer-Brought-Down-by-DDoS-Attack] came upon him pretty quickly.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/22/minecraft-halloween-update-preview-meet-the-ghasts/]

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I cannot freakin' wait for this update.

Is there an official release date, or are we just gonna get it when we get it? (Or did you literally mean that it'll come on Halloween? :p)

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I hope this comes before Halloween so I have time to play it with friends before I head back to college.

Shihoudani

Oct 3, 2009
This update looks completely awesome! I know I can't wait for Halloween to come around so I can delve into this new world. :)

Also those who who did that DDoS should rot and lose their update privleges.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
only a week away. good stuff, can't wait. Any info on what the new materials will be used for?

illiterate

Sep 10, 2008
One theory is the red "phosphor" blocks will be essential to creating lanterns.

No clue beyond that.

I'm curious if the portals will sometimes exit WAAAY up in the air, or underground.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
So I can put a portal in one house on one side of a valley and a portal in another house on the other side of the valley and travel nearly instaneously between the two?

Now you're thinking with portals!

Mar 16, 2009
I started playing on my friend's server the other day, and it took fourteen minutes to walk to where they were developing. I'll take the Hell portal, even with scary monsters.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Can't wait. Just bought the game this week, and have been having fun... still figuring a lot out. I have a mine shaft right down to the bottom and I've started building up fortifications... only just finished the wall tho.

Anyway, very curious how this portal thing will pan out. I'd make a portal house at the spawn point so I can quickly get back to my base if I die... I lost my first mine :(

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Here's something that I've been wondering: can Ghasts and other "Hell" mobs travel through portals into the "real" dimension? I know that nothing definite about that subject has been said (if anything), but I'm curious if it'll be a potential danger of building one of these portals in the first place.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
If you haven't hit multiplayer check out the minecraft appreciation club

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Minecraft-Appreciation-Club

Lots of friendly server ops keeping the peace and laying the smackdown on griefers, tons of server mods and lots of awesome stuff to see

Show up on the server just for the giant Yahtzee statue and Escapist logos!

Aeriath

Sep 10, 2009
It's come a long way from Creative =D.

The portals sound like they might be able to be built to different sizes. Anyone want to build a Stargate?

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
On the plus side, I already had an obsidian gate prepared. On the other hand, we'll probably need to create a new world in order to get a lot of the new stuff.