Minor, insignificant thing that ruined a game for you.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
That sword on the cover of Final Fantasy VII.

I don't care if you're magical, have arms of iron or some 'gift' or whatever- anyone that has a main weapon modelled after a freaking pizza peel is just stupid. I'd be more willing to play as a main character that uses a pointed stick than that useless piece of crap.

Subscriptism

May 5, 2012
The fucking phone calls and dates in GTA 4. I didn't buy that for £5 on steam because I couldn't bear the fucking things.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Morrowind I don't like because it plays like an Action-RPG, but still relies on the same dice mechanics to determine whether you hit or not.
Thats what turned me off to Morrowind. Awesome game and all, but I see my PC swinging that mace at some guy's head, and not hiting ot because I have shit luck with virtual dice.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
I have a nitpick with Skyrim. Actually, this is a nitpick that also goes with Oblivion.

Skyrim is completely built around dungeons. I'm sick of dungeons. I've never been burned out on dungeons until I played Skyrim. Every storyline quest I get involved with seems to send me into a dungeon of some kind or another. The bounty missions send me into dungeons. All of the skills I have seem to be specifically geared to get me through dungeons and nothing else.

This is one of the reasons I actually liked Morrowind. It was designed to be a simulation of another world. They managed to pull that off by having NPCs send me on quests to talk to people or to negotiate with people or hunt specific criminals in cities. Come Oblivion there were dungeons literally from Hell and Skyrim is no better.

To put this in perspective, when I was playing Skyrim I cried tears of joy when the Companions sent me on a Radiant quest to beat up someone for being a twat. Finally! A mission that doesn't send me through another bloody tomb that has a convenient exit passage at the end.

Jun 11, 2009
Audio balancing.

If there's one thing that turns me off of a game, it's bad audio balancing. Bioshock Infinite is a prime example of this. Overall a very enjoyable game with some cool stuff going on, but the fact that the audio balance is so fundamentally broken makes playing through it way less fun than it should be.

Right from the very beginning of the game, the "press start to begin" screen opens with a CLICK that sounds more like a rifle shot, and things go downhill from there. Elizabeth's infuriatingly breathy dialogue is barely audible, as is Booker's dialogue which consists, as Yahtzee put it, him looking at increasingly impressive things followed by him saying "huh."

This sound, which necessitates putting my TV up very high in order to hear, is in the same audio balancing track as the enemies screams, shouts, death cries, and general loudness, to say nothing of the voice recordings, radio broadcasts, civilian dialogue, and general noise of Columbia, which is easily three or four times as loud. It's insane.

Fighting a group of enemies is one thing, as is the music (I did manage to turn down the sound effect and music volume to manageable levels, though it did mean that I couldn't hear the record players most of the time), but when hitting four enemies with Murder of Crows results in four grown men screaming into my ears at the same time, somebody hasn't done their job properly.

tabristhegreat

Mar 5, 2013
xyrafhoan said:
Also, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon had no support conversations, which had been a staple in nearly all the Fire Emblem games released in North America thus far. It also lacked the rescue command. While I could adapt to not having rescue, no supports and no base conversations (the saviour of stripped-down supports in Radiant Dawn) basically killed Shadow Dragon for me, the die-hard Fire Emblem fan.
This....so much this

I really wanted to like shadow dragon as I'm a devoted fire emblem fan boy but I just couldn't bring myself to finish the game. I never touched the class change system because short of trolling the internet I had no clue what to do with it and the lack of supports A.K.A the only thing that differentiates the 40 plus units you get per game was a bad move.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Subscriptism said:
The fucking phone calls and dates in GTA 4. I didn't buy that for £5 on steam because I couldn't bear the fucking things.
...You can turn those off you know...

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
Blazblue's continue system and load times
Guilty Gear,and its spiritual successor Blazblue are known for having really hard bosses,you often see people complaining about them online,i remember a poll in Arc System Work's facebook page,that went something like "how would you bring about world peace?",and one of the answers was something like "end Unlimited Hazama(a Blazblue boss)"

Guilty Gear has a perfect continue system,once you die,a screen with various options pops out,just hit retry and you're done,you don't have to see a loading screen or anything,the game returns you to the start of the fight before you can even say fuck

Blazblue,not so much
When you die,instead of picking continue and just fucking continuing,you get one of those classic fighting game continue screens,then press start to continue,then you go back to the character select screen and pick your character and color again,then you see a screen that previews the opponents you have killed so far,then you see the vs screen,then you can finally start playing again

And the game has to load every single one of those things,it makes no fucking sense how Guilty Gear,that was released BEFORE Blazblue does this better than Blazblue

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I'm trying to go though all the routes in Katawa Shoujo but the problem is Hanako's route is just TOO GOOD. I can't play another route without feeling terribly guilty and having to boot up a new Hanako runthrough instead...

LOOK AT THIS, WHAT IS THIS EVEN?!

[http://media.photobucket.com/user/woody938/media/Katawa%20Shoujo/Hanako/hanakob.jpg.html]

[sub][sub]So cute[/sub][/sub]

I almost ruined her for myself though by randomly thinking how she's sorta like The Joker...

"Wanna know how I got these scars?"

Fuck. Cannot unthink.

Oh and the SHIT fast travel in Far Cry 2 ruined the entire game. Not even an exaggeration. There's a bus station in town and a fast travel station in every corner of the map. Gee. So helpful when every mission is nowhere near any of them. Oh and to clarify you have to go to a bus station manually and only then can you fast travel back to town. THE BUS STATIONS ARE IN THE CORNERS OF THE MAPS]OFOGNJETJGWFNWMD[PKF!

The amount of times you have to sprint from town alll the way to the mission, complete the mission (or get shunted somewhere else) then have to go back to town again for more missions is stupid. Cars SUCK because they can't program friendly AI and there is ALWAYS an enemy jeep chasing you. I once tried to have fun by grenade launcher-ing an entire mission... NOPE! Accidentally blew up every car and had to walk back for ages.

Far Cry 3 solves all of this and is generally all round awesome. Who says I can't give a franchise a second chance?

[atomi|c|adaver]

Oct 8, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
Vann in FF12, or does that not count?

I mean he seemed pretty insignificant to me
I find that kind of funny. Apparently Basch was supposed to be the protagonist, but Square Enix decided on Vaan after they 'analyzed the demographics.'

The game'd probably be better if they didn't switch him.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
[atomi|c|adaver said:
]
Lunar Templar said:
Vann in FF12, or does that not count?

I mean he seemed pretty insignificant to me
I find that kind of funny. Apparently Basch was supposed to be the protagonist, but Square Enix decided on Vaan after they 'analyzed the demographics.'

The game'd probably be better if they didn't switch him.
I'd have probably finished 12 if Basch was the protag :/

but nooo.... they went with pinello and her big sister ....

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
While there are many adequate reasons to dislike Metroid: Other M, I'm actually very good at immersing myself in a game and ignoring stuff like the dialogue, the issues with Samus' newfound aweful personality, the stupidity of the upgrade system. In game, I don't notice those so much.

But the thrice damned 1st person missile system that locks you in position needs to be dragged out, shot in the knees, repaired, then tossed in a vat of slow burning acid. Then fired into some star that isn't ours (I don't like the idea of light raining down on us that was tainted by the vileness that is the MORONIC mechanic).

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm always a little put off with the size of Agro in Shadow of the Colossus. They could've gone for more realistic proportions, Wander looks like a midget by comparison with his own steed.

h4xor555

Aug 25, 2010
In Dead Island, there is this one quest from this person who wants you to fetch her champaign like you are her personal pack mule servant.

After that, I said I was done.

I was already starting to hate the game a lot, I feel as though I was nothing more than an errand boy that people just ordered around, and that girl telling me to fetch her champaign was the END OF IT.

That one quest made me quit the game, I felt as though Dead Island was all fetch quests, and it wasnt even good fetch quests!

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
scorptatious said:
chozo_hybrid said:
I know I'm going to get flak for this one... But what I find to be the pointless was lot of "exploration" in Shadow of the Colossus, yes it all looked nice etc. It was fun for a little while, but there was nothing to really find all that much, the game was cool with the battles and everything, but to me, everything in between was a barren wasteland and it stopped me from finishing the game.
As someone who considers Shadow of the Colossus his favorite game, I understand how you feel. Besides the white tailed lizards and fruit that increase your stamina and health respectively, there isn't too much out there in the Forbidden Land. Still though, I love riding across it. It's quiet, spacious, and very pretty to me. It's almost therapeutic for me to just ride around and take in the sights in between colossi.
Thanks for being understanding, I was expecting to get ripped apart on what brought up for this thread. The game is great, I know that, the boss fights were awesome, there just wasn't enough to do to keep me coming back.

That's not to say I need explosions every five seconds or anything, exploring the wastelands in the Fallout games I enjoy, same with things like Civ 5 so I have some patience and such, Shadow of the Colossus just didn't seem to do it for me. It has been years though, so perhaps it's time for a revisit.
It might be. It's really worth sticking through it to the end in my opinion. How far did you make it before you stopped?

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
scorptatious said:
chozo_hybrid said:
scorptatious said:
chozo_hybrid said:
I know I'm going to get flak for this one... But what I find to be the pointless was lot of "exploration" in Shadow of the Colossus, yes it all looked nice etc. It was fun for a little while, but there was nothing to really find all that much, the game was cool with the battles and everything, but to me, everything in between was a barren wasteland and it stopped me from finishing the game.
As someone who considers Shadow of the Colossus his favorite game, I understand how you feel. Besides the white tailed lizards and fruit that increase your stamina and health respectively, there isn't too much out there in the Forbidden Land. Still though, I love riding across it. It's quiet, spacious, and very pretty to me. It's almost therapeutic for me to just ride around and take in the sights in between colossi.
Thanks for being understanding, I was expecting to get ripped apart on what brought up for this thread. The game is great, I know that, the boss fights were awesome, there just wasn't enough to do to keep me coming back.

That's not to say I need explosions every five seconds or anything, exploring the wastelands in the Fallout games I enjoy, same with things like Civ 5 so I have some patience and such, Shadow of the Colossus just didn't seem to do it for me. It has been years though, so perhaps it's time for a revisit.
It might be. It's really worth sticking through it to the end in my opinion. How far did you make it before you stopped?
I had slayed 4 of them when I stopped. That the information you wanted? How many are there?

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
scorptatious said:
chozo_hybrid said:
scorptatious said:
chozo_hybrid said:

I had slayed 4 of them when I stopped. That the information you wanted? How many are there?
There are 16 in total, so you were about 25% of the way through the game before you stopped. Ironically, that's actually the place I stopped the first time I played. Not because I was getting bored with it, but I was renting the game at the time and had to return it. Kinda forgot about it for a while but a few years later, I decided to buy the game for myself and played it all the way through. The rest was history. :p

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
Mind numbingly slow movement speed in any number of recent shooters. Gears of War, Mass Effect, Red Dawn, take you pick.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
The new Tomb Raider game. I was looking forward to a gme with a strong female protagonist without attention being drawn to her shape. I did find it odd that on a huge tanker like ship she wore a top with strings, but went with it.

But as i noticed her climb over cliffs, I noticed that she didn't climb up in the same canned animation which was cool, until I noticed how the sun seemed to highlight her ass as she did so. And then during the unnecessarily high-angle cutscenes that showed cleavage shots...

I sighed heavily as I felt that we went for a more stealthy 'She is hot!!!' angle of the game, rather than a young woman thrown in to extraordinary situations and overcoming them. I returned the game, the gameplay was great, but I wish she put on a proper top. With all the bullets, cliff faces and physical activity she went through I am surprised that the top seems to survive until the end of the game. I returned the game after the pilot crashes to the ground because I kept noticing the high-angel cutscenes and was sick of the 'highlighting'.