Minor Stuff That You Hate In Games That You Like

Nov 27, 2010
Reaper195 said:
I've played the absolute shit out of Dishonored. The stealth in that game is mostly fantastic (It could be better, but it's the first real stealth game in a looooong fuckin' time). But Corvo doesn't speak. Something which could have solved a lot of problems, as well as make Corvo a bit more interesting. I get silent protagonists in games like Fallout and Skyrim. But things like all Infinity Ward Call of Duty games, Half-Life, Dishonored, Fable 1/2...it's absolute bullshit and does nothing but constantly take me out of the game when people talk at me instead of to me.
I absolutely love Dishonored, but I agree. That game had a real issue of flat characters in general, though. Corvo never talks, and 90% of your "allies'" dialogue is expositional. And they all talk so BLANDLY about everything, like they're never all that concerned. I don't know, just something about them was so one-dimensional.

Also see telepathic enemies, I completely agree there.

Also obvious betrayals, that's another tick for Dishonored. You get the kid back and everybody's happy! Yay! Game over, your buddies hand you a drink to celebrate. Me: "That's poisoned." Corvo takes the drink. "There's no way that's not poisoned." He looks at the glass and around at the people. "You're kidding, right? You don't even seem like the drinking type. I more had you pegged for the *puts the glass down and finds a dark corner to sit in* sort." He drinks the drink and lo and behold, it was poisoned! What a twist

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
The art style of The Walking Dead.

It just looks too cartoony to me and that in turn made alot of the violence and other shocking moments in the game seem unnatural.
I get that The Walking Dead is based of of a comic book and that they were trying to emulate the hand drawn style but to me everyone just looks like they walked in from Telltales earlier Back to the Future game, a much more light hearted game for which I feel this particular style seemed to fit much better.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Not really in a game but... when a game paywalls it's soundtrack. As far as I'm concerned I paid for the game and that includes the music that's in it. If they want to charge for the soundtrack to people who didn't buy the game or for a physical copy then that's fine.

More on topic: When a game makes frequently used buttons do other things. In every city builder ever wasd will scroll the map except for bloody Tropico 4 where they each hotkey to a building blueprint. So now not only does the map remain unscrolled but you have to back out of the build menu as well. I have to play that game while sitting on my left hand or I constantly interrupt my game by absentmindedly using wasd.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Evonisia said:
Casual Shinji said:
- Ellie's random humming in The Last of Us. I understand what they were going for, but holly shit, does it not work in any way apar
The worst part I think is the first time I noticed it. You're in some building and you can literally see a Clicker hiding in a shed just outside, and she hums. Then she also tries whistling. Well, at least the story reflects the AI being ignored by the enemies while in stealth mode.

OT: The fucking flying boat enemies in Bayonetta. I'm pretty sure on my first playthrough I died about thirty times (without exaggeration 'cause I suck at those types of games) against the triple flying boat threat.

At least those claw monsters with the insta-grab attack only have a few methods of making you cry.
Yeah, it was a ***** and a half to reliably jump on to those bastards, especially when the other ones were shooting at you with their missile spam and SUPER LAZORZ! Fucking fast-firing ranged enemies in a primarily close-combat game...

Gracious and Glorious are worse though (the black/white versions of the claw monsters). Everything the red/green versions had, plus they can break out of stunlock even easier AND don't let you trigger witch time (slow-mo basically for those unaware) from dodging! I almost broke my damn controller trying to do that bit on the highway where you have to fight 4 of 'em at once. Though maybe that's just me, since I never did get the hang of dodging the attacks of more than one of those guys simultaneously. Well, at least they don't lock any costumes/weapons behind doing a pure platinum run of the game, because that just isn't happening.

Note: Interestingly enough, Gracious and Glorious are actually not so bad on the absolute hardest difficulty, because you can't trigger witch time from dodging anyway AND everything takes more damage (your character especially). By the time you get that far on said difficulty you've probably already got the hang of no slow-mo fighting.

Another minor thing that's irksome, but in a different game, is the fact that the world interaction button, the revive button, and the take cover button are all the same in Mass Effect 3. I must wonder what they were thinking when they did that, as if nobody would ever get downed near cover or objectives would never be exceptionally close to cover (despite the fact that most objectives in multiplayer are right next to a wall or on a table or somesuch).

The Squid King

Jan 19, 2014
One thing that really bugs me in some platformers (Mario is the main culprit) is levels when the screen automatically scrolls unbearably slowly for no explained reason. Completely kills the pacing.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Hearthstone

- Lack of Silence based neutral card options
- Lack of equipment removal card options
- Lack of secrets removal card options
- No ability to speed up animations (especially druid hero power and time consuming miracle rogue turns)

and the biggest failure of all....

- Concede button does NOT instantly work but rather waits for queued actions to complete. Why waste everyone time with this? It's not like you can cancel your concede decision once the click was made.

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
The Goat Tsar said:
I hate it whenever a game forces you to backtrack to make the game seem longer. Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door is one of my favorite games of all time, but that part where the ghost steals your identity is painful. You have to go in between the town and the Creepy Steeple like 5 or 6 separate times. And it doesn't help that the enemies along the way are the most annoying in the game. You have to fight the stupid flowers that either put you to sleep or immediately run away or the stupid rock monsters that are invulnerable to like 90% of your attacks.
Yes. Holy fucking shit, was that tedious. I feel like TTYD was pretty bad with the backtracking. Like chapter 7, when you have to run all over the world just to find this General White. Thank goodness for the Warp Pipes, but my sense of direction is so shitty that I can never find them.

Speaking of Paper Mario, the boss fights in Sticker Star are complete bullshit. (Yes, I like Sticker Star. The sticker mechanics are interesting and the gameplay fairly solid, if a bit on the easy side. Far from my favorite game, but I quite enjoy it) I don't know if it counts as minor, but some bosses' weaknesses aren't that obvious. How was I supposed to know that the Pokey was weak to the baseball bat? Yes, it took place in a stadium, but I'm Swedish; baseball is not big over here, and I'm more inclined to think of soccer when people talk about stadiums. And when the fight is over and many stickers were used, Kersti will ***** at you for using too many.

Speaking of Kersti, she can go fuck herself with a rusty screwdriver. God, she's more annoying and charmless than Navi could ever hope to be. She's the most irritating partner ever.

Fuck you, Kersti.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Minor Stuff
That You Hate

How can someone actually hate something that is, by their own definition, minor? That makes no sense.

And yes, I'm being a stickler to the definition of the word. 'Hate' is used so often for such inconsequential annoyances that the word is losing it's meaning.

But anyway, while attempting to ignore my inner grammar Nazi, there are a few things that I can list that really annoy me:
* I dislike when games do not offer any kind of mouse sensitivity modifier beyond some arbitrary slider.
* I dislike when first-person games lock the FOV at 60~75 degrees and allow no option to alter those values.
* I dislike (newer) games not offering a borderless windowed mode. (really, there's just no excuse anymore)
* I dislike forced check-point or auto-save functions without the inclusion of manual saves.
* I dislike unskippable, non-interactive cut-scenes; especially when I'm forced to watch them again after dying/failing.
* I dislike game designers confusing narrative complexity with excessive verbosity.

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
MetalDooley said:
Telepathic enemies - I'm currently playing Dishonored and it's a pretty cool game but it bugs that if an enemy spots you then it automatically alerts every enemy in the immediate vicinity even when it doesn't make sense.It's something that has always annoyed me in games not just Dishonored
I agree that this kind of thing is annoying, but Dishonored? I've been playing through it again and haven't noticed this issue myself. Usually, if you kill whoever spotted you (or knock them out, whatevs) before they shout you can avoid that, and even if others do come looking they won't know your exact position until they see you themselves. I've actually had a couple full on sword fights go unnoticed by people in the next room over.

ANYHOO

Skyrim has it's fair share of niggling little annoyances but one that sticks out in my mind atm is that there's no way to turn off the compass without removing the rest of the HUD. If it weren't for the placement it wouldn't be an issue, but being where it is makes it very distracting.

Bruenin

Nov 9, 2011
Someone Depressing said:
I wouldn't say I liked the game... rather, I fucking hate its guts, yet it has charmed me into finishing every single damn quest with its feminine wiles, Fable 2.

You can't unequip your weapons. I'm serious. I'm a purely mage character, not a point in anything not mage-y. Can't unequip weapons, even if only for roleplaying purposes. You can do so in 3, and I think you could in 1? That, and so many things, just lead me to believe that the game wasn't completely finished.
You couldn't unequip your weapons in the first fable. I've tried. The best I could come up with is equipping a crossbow so there was no visible quiver but I could never get rid of the melee weapon so I always ran around with a stick on my back. You actually wanted weapons equipped for the first fable though so you could get mana augments but Fable always annoyed me with all that, I just want a pure mage darnit.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Found another one. In FF13, the character you control is slightly on one side (the side depends on the direction you're going, either left or right). It's fine when it comes to walking normally, but when you get on a chocobo, the camera keeps moving left and right at the slightest touch of the stick (not even the one that controls the camera, the one used for moving) and it gets nauseating.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
In Y's Memories of Celceta, the first few dungeons you have to do a puzzle for the door that gets you to the boss. It's extremely easy and it seems unnecessary. The puzzle keys for Skyward Sword as well. I like the puzzles in the game, but I don't want to have to spend a few minutes opening the door just to get to the boss.

The Neutral ending for SMT IV. It was aggravating having to do all the side quests in the town, which made me spend a few hours going through every place again, and talk to everyone again to make sure I completed the quests. Up to that point I was loving the game and atmosphere, but the 3-6 hours I spent trying to do everything really lessened my enjoyment overall. Once I got past that part, the rest was great, except the final boss was a bit to easy. Nocturne is still the best SMT game.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Some unlockable stuff.
For example, in Saints Row IV, you have to go through challenges to gain other powers and stuff.
While I don't mind doing certain challenges, if it is just "beat the activities on level", I really get annoyed.

If I don't want to play one of the mini-games due to it's annoyance or such, don't make me have to play it to unlock a cool thing I want.