Miracle of Sound: Beauty Bleak (Fallout)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Beauty Bleak (Fallout)

A bonus song from the archive to hold you over for the holidays.

Watch Video

Apr 28, 2008
Already heard it, but still nice :)

Also, they really need to work on getting new videos on the front page faster.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Wow, color me impressed. Only thing I would change is to lose the captions on the video (or at least change the font and opacity to make them less tacky). But it was such a pleasant detour from your normal style, I'm definitely going to overlook that little bit. Great job keeping things fresh and interesting (and really capturing the feel of the scenery).

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Someone get me a cloak and a rocky outcropping and a sunset. I feel a sudden need to dramatically overlook something in the moments before the gloaming fully takes hold.

Lexxicator

May 3, 2011
Well... that's was different. I guess i liked it, but it feels like something is amiss. I dunno what. Maybe if song would be longer, like 10 minutes long, and has some life in it? I know it's all about the game, but even in that devastated world, there still was life in it.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I really like this one and already purchased it. I enjoy this style of music and I find myself putting this on in the background while I'm doing other things online. I kind of wish you had more of these.

And to the Escapist staff, the new layout really sucks for finding the various video series you have. Honestly, I come here for the videos first, and the news a distant second. Your news is not unique to your site. Your videos are.

I'm finding myself visiting the site less and less now, and just linking directly into the videos from twitter accounts by the creators and from my bookmarks, just to avoid this mess of a redesign. If your goal was to force me to "look" at your news features, it's failed in that respect as I've learned to bypass your front page all together.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
As usual, i clicked it without even reading the title hoping that no matter what i'll like it. As usual i wasn't wrong. Good job.

BTW : At first i thought "Resident Evil ? Is that a song about Good old Racoon City ?". ;)

This song could use very strong guitar chord at the very end.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Interplay is listed as the publisher, but most, if not all of the video footage is from the Bethesda games, which were made after Interplay was shut down.
I know that Fallout was originally made by Interplay, but I think Bethesda deserves credit since that's where the footage came from.

Other than that, great song. I really like the piano so this was a real treat.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I'm not so sure about this one. At the start I was thinking "Wow, this is a great intro!" but then it didn't really go anywhere from there and just stayed like that, which left me a little disappointed.

I'm still a huge fan though :)

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Already heard this song and already a fan, which is unavoidable since I buy every song of yours from iTunes the moment it's available.

Just as brilliant as ever, I'd love to hear a few more tracks like this one. As usual you managed the capture the very essence of the game you set out to portray. Bravo my good man, bravo indeed.

Also, off topic but what the hey... the version of Sovngarde Song that is available on iTunes seems to be a different version to the one that featured on the Escapist. There are some... added sections. To be brutally honest, I preferred the original Escapist version, the additions now feel like unnecessary padding to me. Any chance of being able to purchase the original track as well?

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Pretty good, and would I be correct to believe this is from FO3? I haven't played it, but there was a spot or two where I wasn't quite sure it wasn't NV XD (Main thing was the power lines, I knew those don't belong in NV)

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
This sounds like something The Alan Parsons Project would have done. In my book, that means this song is awesome. Great work!

Though, I feel it might have a little better if it was just an instrumental, without the singing; while the singing was excellent, the song screamed "INSTRUMENTAL!" in it's great opening and Alan Parsons feel, and would have been all the better an instrumental.

flaviok79

Feb 22, 2011
Wow! Made me feel like when I was six and heard songs by The Doors, Pink Floyd and David Bowie for the first time. Strange but pleasant.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
That was different than what i'm used to expecting. Still liked it. You really need to work on that one problem of songs getting stuck in your listeners heads though, I've had three of your songs on a cycle in my brain allllll day. (Sarcasm of course if it must be said)

-The Bioshock, Arkham Asylum, and Deus Ex songs have been making me go crazy today.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
This one is really cool, it kinda of reminds me of a mellow Pink Floyd song from Dark Side of the Moon in a way, and that's probably because of the way the vocals were done.

I really liked how you mixed the vocals together at the end, it fits how the world of Fallout is.

217not237

Nov 9, 2011
Akalabeth said:
meganmeave said:
And to the Escapist staff, the new layout really sucks for finding the various video series you have. Honestly, I come here for the videos first, and the news a distant second. Your news is not unique to your site. Your videos are.
Why are people having any sorts of problems at all? It's front and centre right under the big layout. There are three things side by side, Miracle of sound in the middle. extra punctuation to the right.

And failing that, click on VIDEOS on top, then click on miracle of sounds 6 down from the top.

Why are people having problems with this?
It's not a problem, just a minor nuisance.

Anyway, on the topic of the song, while it's great for the mood of Fallout 3, I can't help but feel disappointed. The game had a magic that music can't really replicate: a sense of familiarity in the destroyed environment. The song matched the emptiness of the game perfectly, but emptiness isn't what made the game great.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Really love this one.
The lyrics are few but appropriate and have impact. It's atmospheric, thick, Fallout, and really chill/ing (Both eerie and relaxing).

I'd like to hear more like this if you come across the game to inspire it.

(edit: I don't like my use of the word 'but' up there, I don't mean to imply few lyrics is a detraction off set by other factors. I think it's part of their impact.)

colostomizer

Jun 7, 2011
Always liked this song, seems depressing and hopeful at the same time.
Considering the contrast between this and, say, The Grind, just makes it all the more impressive. 'Bout time it's on the Escapist, though!