Miracle of Sound: Brothers Of The Creed (Assassin's Creed)

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
Love the Arabic feel and the choir.

It surprised me at first, the opening seconds made me expect something different but I'm listening to it a second time while typing this and its really growing on me.

Would have liked a bit slower or understated lyrics laid on top of them. Like the bit at 3 mins. (But then, I'm a Suzanne Vega over Metallica type of guy.)

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
I'm typing this from a web cafe, as I haven't been able to access the Escapist for the last two days from my laptop - now I'm wondering if my internet wasn't trying to tell me something, lol.

Anyway. As much as I appreciate the feedback as always, I am, for once, going to stand firm on this one as it is, has been, by far my favourite of my gaming songs since I made it 5 months ago.

All the comments in the world would not convince me to change one note, lyric, instrument or line in this song. It is exactly as I wanted it to be, exactly what I heard in my head playing the game, sounded exactly how I wanted when I mixed it and is the one song I love to listen to the most of all my songs because it simply makes my ears feel good when I hear it.

So sorry dudes, I'm being selfish this time - this song is for me and if you don't dig it that's tough, because I do! :p
Hey, its your art. You can't do everything to satisfy the fans.

The Arabic style music was fantastic. I was surprised by the angle you took, but I guess basing the tone on the underlying enigmas of Assassins Creed made more sense than trying to base it on the lives of two very different individuals, in four different settings and cultures. All the conspiracy theory stuff, and the notion that the Templar vs. Assassin conflict has been going on much longer than a few centuries and has even outlived both groups is what really brings the games together, so good choice.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Random berk said:
The Arabic style music was fantastic. I was surprised by the angle you took, but I guess basing the tone on the underlying enigmas of Assassins Creed made more sense than trying to base it on the lives of two very different individuals, in four different settings and cultures. All the conspiracy theory stuff, and the notion that the Templar vs. Assassin conflict has been going on much longer than a few centuries and has even outlived both groups is what really brings the games together, so good choice.
I'm glad someone agrees. That's exactly what the song is about, the background story, Desmond, the Animus and the history - it's not about Altair pouting and Ezio being charming.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Don't wanna come off sounding unimpressed but a deeper, more powerful vocalist would have kicked this songs ass. Think like a five finger or killswitch style voice.

That would have made it way better.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
"And I kill for the good in my white hood."

*facepalm*

They really didn't think that one through.

What other "White Hoods" does that make you think of?

Hint: K.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:

*facepalm*

And why is this is a problem with the lyrics, and not with the game?

I just call it like it is. The white hood was Ubisoft's idea and that honestly never even occurred to me. I don't think they had the KKK back in medieval Europe and Middle East.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
TheDoctor455 said:

*facepalm*

And why is this is a problem with the lyrics, and not with the game?

I just call it like it is. The white hood was Ubisoft's idea and that honestly never even occurred to me. I don't think they had the KKK back in medieval Europe and Middle East.
True. But it wasn't just the mention of white hoods that brought up that association.

It was the part about "killing for the good" of it.

I'm not accusing you and your team of racism... just pointing out an unfortunate implication
that some might be offended by.

And its not really a problem with the game, because there aren't any hoods in the series that are even remotely triangular in it.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I like the melody, I like your singing, I even like most of the lyrics. I think they all fit Assassin's Creed beautifully. Also, I'm a sucker for middle eastern style music.

But the line "I kill for good under/in my white hood"? Like many others in this thread it rubs me the wrong way. I know you obviously didn't mean it that way, but still... Imagine you're listening to the song - without the video - having never played and know nothing about Assassin's Creed and that line pops up for the first time. Yikes.

"Under my white hood" does sound a lot better than "in my white hood" though, and I don't understand why the transcript reads "in" when you clearly sing "under".

Anyway, that's the only peeve I have with it. I like it otherwise, although The New Black Gold is still my current favourite. <3

(Oh, and I listened to Mortal Kombat Party today for the first time since it came out and I really liked it! I think it's because I wasn't watching the video at the same time so I wasn't feeling nauseous through the whole thing =P)

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
In all, pretty good. It started off strong until about 1:03 into the video and then it went from "wow, I really like this" to "Yeah, it's pretty good".

In other words, this video does not suck.

tklivory

Oct 20, 2008
I happened to be occupied the first time I watched this song, so I didn't really watch the video that much, only listened with half an ear.

Loved the song.

Took the time to watch the video.

Didn't like it as much.

Listened to it without watching any video.

Loved it again.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a badly edited video or anything (I especially like the parts where you zoom around in the Animus). It's just that, in the case of this particular song, I feel the aural effect is stronger without the visual element added. Not sure what any of that means, but I love the sounds in this song. The Arabic leitmotif is so palpable - the Middle Eastern-tinged chord progressions, the sitar-like guitar style, the overarching sweep of wordless melody, the perfect interval harmonization - just an amazing combination that I drink in when I listen to it.

Thank you, MoS, for this song. I, like many, love the Assassin's Creed games, and appreciate the thought you put into this song.

(Hey, you ever going to do a Prince of Persia song? That would be awesome...)

Nashidar

Jun 2, 2010
I have only played the first Assassin's Creed game - which I enjoyed. I also enjoyed this song - I thought it was good.

Just one question - can somebody tell me which game that last scene in music video was from (i.e. where he gets a rope put around his neck)?

tklivory

Oct 20, 2008
Nashidar said:
Just one question - can somebody tell me which game that last scene in music video was from (i.e. where he gets a rope put around his neck)?
The completely awesome Assassin's Creed Revelations trailer from E3.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Perhaps something less electric and more classical would have been a better fit.
I'm afraid my budget doesn't allow for classical musicians/instruments in these songs. :(

I can only afford to use the tools at my own disposal which are, at best, limited.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Sucal said:
Meh, I'm gonna have to say that it was one of your weakest songs. But then thats mostly because I can't really tell if its meant to be from the perspective of the in game/past assassins, Desmond and Friends or just a general thing about the creed. I kind of feel like it stretches for all three at once and doesn't really seem to reach any.
The song is about Desmond, the Animus, Minerva, the biblical references and the underlying history behind the story.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
tklivory said:
Don't get me wrong, it's not a badly edited video or anything (I especially like the parts where you zoom around in the Animus). It's just that, in the case of this particular song, I feel the aural effect is stronger without the visual element added. Not sure what any of that means, but I love the sounds in this song. The Arabic leitmotif is so palpable - the Middle Eastern-tinged chord progressions, the sitar-like guitar style, the overarching sweep of wordless melody, the perfect interval harmonization - just an amazing combination that I drink in when I listen to it.

Thank you, MoS, for this song. I, like many, love the Assassin's Creed games, and appreciate the thought you put into this song.
I'm really glad you made that comment. It seems you understand where I was coming from with the song better than most people did, which is not to their discredit, it just means that it's more vague than most of the other songs. But I'm happy someone appreciated the musical style for what it is and was supposed to represent.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Akalabeth said:
LarenzoAOG said:
Um, "I kill for good in my white hood" that one kind of threw me for a loop, I'm sure some less wholesome people have said the same thing in the past.

OT: Pretty good, but coming off of "The New Black Gold" I can't say it was a step up, still a good song.
I don't think they had the KKK in ireland so you'll have to forgive a guy if his lyrics have unforseen significance in the wide variety of world cultures.
Akalabeth said:
LarenzoAOG said:
Um, "I kill for good in my white hood" that one kind of threw me for a loop, I'm sure some less wholesome people have said the same thing in the past.

OT: Pretty good, but coming off of "The New Black Gold" I can't say it was a step up, still a good song.
I don't think they had the KKK in ireland so you'll have to forgive a guy if his lyrics have unforseen significance in the wide variety of world cultures.
Ah, I wasn't aware the Miracle Of Sound team was Irish, I understood the context of the lyric, but the unintended implication kind of surprised me.