Miracle of Sound: Distant Honor (Dishonored)

Hylke Langhout

Mar 2, 2011
Such a great atmosphere to the song. I haven't played the game myself due to monetary reasons, but this make me want to buy it even more. They should really get you to compose songs for trailers or something because this was simply amazing.
It was a really cool idea to use the tune from "Drunken Sailor" at the end. And you were right about the video. It fits the song extremely well.
Another instant classic from you. Well done Gavin :)

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Loved it, I haven't played the game so I don't know if it fits the game or not but the chorus is ultra catchy! :D

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
The song is good, as always, but I still don't know enough about Dishonoured to properly comment.

It's bizarre. I've seen trailers, reviews, even a snippet of gameplay thanks to Rooster Teeth's 'Things To Do In' series, but nothing I've seen has told me enough about the game to properly capture my interest.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
MiracleOfSound said:
DVS BSTrD said:
A little upbeat for Dishonored don't you think?
No, I don't. It is exactly the mood I wanted it to be.
Yeah but it doesn't feel like the mood of the game.
Correction: It doesn't feel like your interpretation of the mood of the game.

Here's a page that may help you understand this difficult concept:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/subjectivity

It is also neither my intent or job to always try to re-create the game's mood. I take aspects I enjoy and make something new.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
CounterAttack said:
The song is good, as always, but I still don't know enough about Dishonoured to properly comment.

It's bizarre. I've seen trailers, reviews, even a snippet of gameplay thanks to Rooster Teeth's 'Things To Do In' series, but nothing I've seen has told me enough about the game to properly capture my interest.
It's a fantastic game, I definitely recommend it :) Playing it feels, to me, like a mix between Deus Ex, Bioshock and Half Life 2

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Just wondering Gav (or Justin could answer this): do you ever give Justin ideas about what the video should contain? Perhaps if there is some particular moment of the game you think should be lined up with some particular lyrics, or image to show your inspiration?

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
This song makes me want to rock out with my (nonexistent) cock out!

(That may or may not say more about me than I'd like. -_-')

Apr 28, 2008
I was gonna pop in with "inb4 'it doesn't fit the mood of the game'", but it seems I was a bit late :p

Great song. Hope to get Dishonored soon. I was going to get it, but I got XCOM instead. Because it was $10 cheaper and I'm a cheap bastard.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
ritchards said:
Just wondering Gav (or Justin could answer this): do you ever give Justin ideas about what the video should contain? Perhaps if there is some particular moment of the game you think should be lined up with some particular lyrics, or image to show your inspiration?
Every so often yes if there's a line or image I feel particularly strongly about including, and I will sometimes give a general outline on the parts of the story/game the song is based on. But generally the videos are up to Justin's interpretations :)

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
It's a fantastic game, I definitely recommend it :) Playing it feels, to me, like a mix between Deus Ex, Bioshock and Half Life 2
What, no Thief? :p

You're on a roll, Gav. Another absolute hit, this one. The verses fit the sneaky atmosphere, the kickass chorus echoes the determination driving Corvo onwards, and your reinterpretation of that iconic whaling shanty is the icing on the cake. Bravo! :D

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
You know, it's funny. Listening to this one the first time, I wasn't far from writing one of these "it doesn't fit the game" comments. But then I listened to the song a second time and began to think about it and realised that it's much more about Corvo's relationship to Emily. In parts it nearly feels like he is singing her to her sleep or trying to explain to her why he has to do bad things. And with that in mind, the song really becomes kind of haunting.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Avayu said:
You know, it's funny. Listening to this one the first time, I wasn't far from writing one of these "it doesn't fit the game" comments. But then I listened to the song a second time and began to think about it and realised that it's much more about Corvo's relationship to Emily. In parts it nearly feels like he is singing her to her sleep or trying to explain to her why he has to do bad things. And with that in mind, the song really becomes kind of haunting.
Bingo! I like you.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
I see... I didn't enjoy HL2 (didn't finish it either because of reasons) and Bioshock is definitely not my kind of series. So maybe Dishonoured isn't my kind of thing. *shrugs*

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
MiracleOfSound said:
DVS BSTrD said:
A little upbeat for Dishonored don't you think?
No, I don't. It is exactly the mood I wanted it to be.
Yeah but it doesn't feel like the mood of the game.
If anything mood should be relative to the level of chaos for this particular game. Looking at it that way one could create multiple songs for Dishonored with different moods interpreting the different perspectives the player is capable of experiencing. This song doesn't sound like its being tied to mood or chaos but is about the games story as a whole and that is up to his own interpretation of his experience.

I think he did a good job and there is nothing wrong with his song.