Miracle of Sound: Distant Honor (Dishonored)

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Great song, the video just felt a bit silly to me, surely you can do better than show a clip of something that fits whatever word is being sung right now?
It's the most basic kind of music video.

Oh he said pump, look, a pump!
Oh he said blink, look, he's blinking!
Oh he said void, look, the void!
Oh, he said piss, look, a guy pissing!

Eh, you get the point.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
This song wasn't really for me, unfortunately. I love most of your work and I love Dishonored but this song isn't clicking for me I guess. I agree with the guy who said that it doesn't feel like it fits the tone of the game, but you're free to write your songs however you like and this one is just not for me I guess.

Keep up the great work Gav! I'm sure I'll like the next one more!

CounterAttack said:
MiracleOfSound said:
It's a fantastic game, I definitely recommend it :) Playing it feels, to me, like a mix between Deus Ex, Bioshock and Half Life 2
I see... I didn't enjoy HL2 (didn't finish it either because of reasons) and Bioshock is definitely not my kind of series. So maybe Dishonoured isn't my kind of thing. *shrugs*
The gameplay for the most part is not like either game. The atmosphere is definitely what is reminiscent of halflife and bioshock, as well as the fact that there are no cinematics. Some minor gameplay elements are inspired by bioshock- your runes and powers are basically like plasmids and the bone charms are like tonic slots, but other than that, the game plays a lot more like thief or deus ex than either bioshock or half life.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Jynthor said:
Great song, the video just felt a bit silly to me, surely you can do better than show a clip of something that fits whatever word is being sung right now?

Eh, you get the point.
Depends a lot on the song and lyrics for me. Sometimes I will go off track if I think a narrative or theme in the video might add something special, other times I feel it would be visually distracting to be hearing one thing and seeing another.

For example, I had considered repeating the imagary with the chorus of always bringing it back to Emily, but I liked playing out the mini story of the cgi trailer better as it ramped into the climax.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Jynthor said:

Eh, you get the point.
Wouldn't not doing that kind of make the a music video a bit pointless?

Yes, not all music viedos need to be a word for word visual translation of what's going on in the song, but in this case I'd say it's the better way to make a video.

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
I'm going to be honest here and say I was pretty disappointed with this.
I haven't played Dishonored myself, but I was expecting a darker song, kind of like the "Drunken Whaler" parts that were in this.
So yeah, if you would've done the entire song that way, I would have really liked it, but as it is now, I just kind of like it.

Also, I'd just like to tell you that: herpity derpity song doesn't fit game

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
soren7550 said:
This song makes me want to rock out with my (nonexistent) cock out!

(That may or may not say more about me than I'd like. -_-')
I believe the phrase you want is "jam out with your clam out."

:)

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Avayu said:
You know, it's funny. Listening to this one the first time, I wasn't far from writing one of these "it doesn't fit the game" comments. But then I listened to the song a second time and began to think about it and realised that it's much more about Corvo's relationship to Emily. In parts it nearly feels like he is singing her to her sleep or trying to explain to her why he has to do bad things. And with that in mind, the song really becomes kind of haunting.
Bingo! I like you.
Now I feel honoured.

I'm glad to hear that I didn't just project that into the song because I particularly enjoyed those parts of the story. The interactions between Emily and Corvo just kind of work, even without any words from him. It may just be that she was the only character written to be likeable in the whole game, but to me, especially while playing non-violently, it really felt like Corvo wasn't doing what he did for revenge, but to make sure Emily was safe and could live the life she deserved.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Slycne said:
Jynthor said:

Eh, you get the point.
Depends a lot on the song and lyrics for me. Sometimes I will go off track if I think a narrative or theme in the video might add something special, other times I feel it would be visually distracting to be hearing one thing and seeing another.

For example, I had considered repeating the imagary with the chorus of always bringing it back to Emily, but I liked playing out the mini story of the cgi trailer better as it ramped into the climax.
I also imagine only having a bit of CGI and gameplay which may or may not be suited for a video kind of makes it hard to make a great music video.

Anyway, apologies, I sounded a bit too much like a dick in my last post. *cough*

colostomizer

Jun 7, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
DVS BSTrD said:
MiracleOfSound said:
DVS BSTrD said:
A little upbeat for Dishonored don't you think?
No, I don't. It is exactly the mood I wanted it to be.
Yeah but it doesn't feel like the mood of the game.
Correction: It doesn't feel like your interpretation of the mood of the game.

Here's a page that may help you understand this difficult concept:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/subjectivity

It is also neither my intent or job to always try to re-create the game's mood. I take aspects I enjoy and make something new.
Sheesh, everyone's a critic!

As for the mood-song thing, I think it's nice to experience someone else's interpretation of the mood of a game once in a while. Games are complex things, they can have a lot of moods.

I mean, Little Sister fits BioShock perfectly; slow, melodic, almost relaxing, and yet BioShock is a game about dashing around gun turrets and things with claws for hands leaping at you.

Anyway, loved the song, Mr. Of Sound, as always. They honestly brighten my week! Please keep 'em coming!

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Avayu said:
Now I feel honoured.
Heh.

OT: I feel like there's a bit of a clash between the more personal side of it and the big-rock-heavy-percussion side. Like it could've benefited from being a little more flexible going to each one rather than staying near the middle. But otherwise it's wonderful, and has a perfect feel.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
soren7550 said:
This song makes me want to rock out with my (nonexistent) cock out!

(That may or may not say more about me than I'd like. -_-')
I believe the phrase you want is "jam out with your clam out."

:)
Hahaha, never heard that one before, but it does work!

Although that too still may or may not say more about me than I'd like.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
This one was bound to get "it doesn't fit the game" comments wasn't it.

Anyway I liked it, but it just didn't click for me. The two bits where you emulated the drunken sailor tune was a nice touch though.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
this i an Excellent song. i want to buy this song right now
MiracleOfSound said:
Avayu said:
You know, it's funny. Listening to this one the first time, I wasn't far from writing one of these "it doesn't fit the game" comments. But then I listened to the song a second time and began to think about it and realised that it's much more about Corvo's relationship to Emily. In parts it nearly feels like he is singing her to her sleep or trying to explain to her why he has to do bad things. And with that in mind, the song really becomes kind of haunting.
Bingo! I like you.
well that would explain the the use of the word bad and sad in the song.

was there a song that you made that doesn't not have a person commenting on how it does not fit the game?
i got a feeling this question is awkwardly worded.

therockdemon

Mar 17, 2011
i have replayed this song about 20 times and that chours still blows me away i think this song is in the top 3 songs you have done, and because of this song i am going straight to my local game retailer and getting a copy of this game

lord Claincy Ffnord

Feb 23, 2012
Excellent song for an excellent game, I think once again you have a written a song that fits the game really well.

Something that I've been noticing about your more recent songs, most of them I haven't loved the first time I've heard them, not thought they were bad, just not that amazing. But after hearing them a second time they start to click and are some of the best songs I've heard. Now I'm not saying this is a bad thing. Actually I think its a good thing: It shows that you aren't relying on simple catchy melodies with little actual content like many popular songs do. By the second hearing the meaning in the songs and the atmosphere/story/etc they are describing becomes much clearer and I can really enjoy the song.

What I am basically trying to say here is that I love how your songs have true value throughout and don't rely on just a catchy tune or single good refrain.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
So does THIS sound cheerful to you?
<youtube=X7khCk0bdnE>[/youtube]
This argument is incredibly flawed as you seem to be implying I should just rip off the songs from the game.

It's your job to make great music, which this is, but you usually stick closer to the game/movie when you do.
And this time I stuck close to one aspect that I enjoyed - Corvo and Emily's relationship and the notion that he is doing everything in his power for her safety and happiness, which I found to be a noble and uplifting sentiment.

lord Claincy Ffnord

Feb 23, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
It's your job to make great music, which this is, but you usually stick closer to the game/movie when you do.
I found that to me, it fit pretty well, though, yes the feel of a game is highly subjective. But even beyond that in dishonored, I feel the mood of the game is, while never 'cheerful', very different between if you were going for a slaughter everyone or a well this is terrible but I'm doing everything I can to fix it/pacifistic approach. Or anything in-between those two extremes. From my viewpoint if you were going with the kill every bastard/revenge at all costs approach to the game, then...yeah the song doesn't fit that too well. But honestly as I was playing, most of the time revenge wasn't a priority, it was just a minor subgoal to the main problem of trying to fix things and to help Emily. From that perspective the song fits pretty well, you are succeeding after all =).