Miracle of Sound: Distant Honor (Dishonored)

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
I appreciate that even if you haven't played the games these songs are based on (I haven't had a chance to pick up Dishonored yet), you can still easily love the songs; they are stand-alone works of awesome!

JFSOCC

Apr 5, 2010
I don't know why I never listened to miracle of sound before, these videos are quite frankly superb.

Nathan Mayoras

Oct 9, 2012
I love the song. It's the first one I ever listened to for you guys and now I have been going on a rampage watching all your videos as well as this one 20 times. I don't really like the melody of the chorus but that's merely because its not my kind of melody if you understand. The lyrics for it were perfect, that includes the whole thing. I am glad you chose to focus on the Corvo & Emily relationship aspect of the game because the game was incredible but that whole thing was my favorite part (when I got the first note and drawing from her in Corvo's room my heart jumped a little) so I see this song as perfect. The way I look at it, and you have a lyric for this too being "Damn the guilt my past is dead", Corvo realizes that there is more hope for Emily than there is for him so he is doing his best to ensure her protection more so than vengeance which is why I think the tag line for the actual game is flawed. Boy, that was a rant wasn't it? Any who, great song!

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
VeryOddGamer said:
Thank you for confirming my suspicions.
Okay, fine, I expected some digital voice manipulation, but it still totally counts.
And now I'm going to go completely off topic here and tell you that I named a soldier in XCom: EU Gavin Dunne. He was recently shot to death by Sectoids.
I have a lot of people killing me in that game :/

Also, yep any man can sing in falsetto with a bit of practice. Well, maybe not Tom Waits. Or Kratos.
See you just became even more awesome to me for mentioning Tom Waits... I love listening to Tom Traubert's Blues

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
And now there's a rock lullaby, to lull me to sleep while I think about stabbing dudes or having them eaten by rats. Another gold star there, Gav.

Susan Arendt said:
soren7550 said:
This song makes me want to rock out with my (nonexistent) cock out!

(That may or may not say more about me than I'd like. -_-')
I believe the phrase you want is "jam out with your clam out."

:)
Love that phrase. I always see a couple of people on guitar while the clam somehow plays drums. Or maybe it's on vocals, singing something slow and soulful, like Don't Fear the Reaper.

soren7550 said:
Hahaha, never heard that one before, but it does work!

Although that too still may or may not say more about me than I'd like.
Whatever it says, feel free to join in! Cock, clam, ken doll, whatever euphemism you're working with, we'll find a way to make it rhyme!

...Unless it's purple.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
And a distant honor calls me to your side.
Good job, like usual.
It seems you're blessed with "spot less obvious things in games" perk.
Plenty of people forget about relationship Corvo has with young Empress.

P.S.
I'd like to hear a song with you and "Faith no More".
And that's the bottom line.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
Life In Bullet Time was my attempt at ripping off Faith No More, lol. I also namecheck them in Binary Divide ;)

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
I listened to Distant Honor twice, and while I hope all my problems with it are from not playing the game, the content was neither compelling nor particularly memorable. Muddy isn't the right word, but in listening to it I felt like it was created more by procedure than passion or inspiration. And that may all be because I just don't have the connection to the characters in the game.

Not that it was bad or offensive, but when I go back to listen to past songs the only reason I'll check out Distant Honor is if I forget I've listened to it before. Or perhaps if I play Dishonored I might give it another chance.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
JesterRaiin said:
Life In Bullet Time was my attempt at ripping off Faith No More, lol. I also namecheck them in Binary Divide ;)
One of biggest banalities of the world : there's a very big difference between thievery and homage or inspiration. After all, without Black Sabbaths or other Presleys Faith no More wouldn't be what they are.

Just do your job since you're very good at that you Irish rascal - those who recognize tunes won't mind. ;]

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
CounterAttack said:
The song is good, as always, but I still don't know enough about Dishonoured to properly comment.

It's bizarre. I've seen trailers, reviews, even a snippet of gameplay thanks to Rooster Teeth's 'Things To Do In' series, but nothing I've seen has told me enough about the game to properly capture my interest.
Did you read the Escapist's review of Didhonored? Or watch Yahtzee rip it to shreds? Thos eshould help you make up your mind.
And Gavin, this was a great song. You captured the mood of the player character on his quest for vengeance in such a scary, grim world full of wicked men asking for a knife in the neck. If that's you're thing.

TheOrb

Jun 24, 2012
I like the sea-shanty beats about two thirds of the way in and at the end...
#What shall we do with a drunken sailor...#
And the chorus, it has a moving tempo.

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
This song really makes me want to play this game..

The Escapist review raved it 5 stars.
Yahtzee didn't hate it, although he did compare it to Thief2 a lot. I didn't see a lot of tearing to shreds though... it was typical Yahtzee really wanting it to be better than it was and pointing out those points.

I will buy as soon as I get back to the UK, looking forward to being Slitpipes McGee.

As for the song. AWESOME.. listened to it about 12 times now.. for me, I love the drums.. definite sense of urgency in the song while also being very upset about the situation.

Mourne

Jan 28, 2010
At first, I didn't care for it. Then I got to the Drunken Whaler and thought, "Woah."

After I reached the end, I was at, "... Maybe if I listen again." And then again. And then then again. And then then then again.

It's grown on me. Great job, Gav. =)

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
Honestly I loved it. Only one listen and it was terrific, although I haven't played the game, so don't know anything about "the atmosphere". What I do know is I loved the "drunken sailor" allusions and the use of strings. The way the song faded out with just those violin type keyboardy sounds reminded me very much of Porcupine Tree, if you're familiar with their work.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
xplosive59 said:
Loved it, I haven't played the game so I don't know if it fits the game or not but the chorus is ultra catchy! :D
I know this is an old post, but I'd say yes it suits the game. If you haven't played it you really should. It's like a modern Thief with a bit of Deus Ex and in my opinion a lot closer to Deus Ex then Human Revolution. But that's just my two cents.