Miracle of Sound: Dream of the Sky (BioShock: Infinite)

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
...well.

yeah...

Wow. Just... Wow. I wouldn't think it'd be possible to encapsulate all the different emotions the game held in a single song, but god dammit you did it.

Blew me away almost as much as the game itself did.

Also, how much fun did you have with the Irish section? Loved it!

Larcenist

Apr 22, 2011
I love how the guitar playing scene is used as an opening when the first section of the song reminds me so much of the actual song played in the game. Then follows the next section with excellent playful themes that mirror the image of Columbia perfectly. I almost thought you were going for your very own Bohemian Rhapsody for a while here.

Including the Little Sister theme was an excellent move as well not only to link two great songs with each other, but to constantly remind us that these amazing games are related.

My favorite part of the whole song though is something completely different. I kind of felt the CAGE reference to be mandatory in a BioShock: Infinite song but really Gav, at 3:46 you introduce Elizabeth to a mellow plucking of C-A-G-E-D? Hands down the best part.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Listened to it earlier when I bought Level 3 (Fantastic by the way) and I absolutely love the call back to Little Sister, excellent flow. I am already looking forward to Level 4: With a Vengeance.

Fapmaster5000

May 13, 2011
Nice work, Gavin.

I loves how the song shifted about, turning into different songs, about different perspectives, trying to answer the "what is Bioshock:Infinite" question, and the different song traditions employed; the C-A-G-E joke was brilliant; the final product was awesome. Swing and a hit, sir, excellent work.

I have to ask though, was this intentionally written as the multi-verse song, or did you start on one song and go, "Nah, this doesn't really cover it", try again, repeat, and eventually decide, "Frack it, everything goes in"?

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
When it comes to composition, you've outdone yourself this time, Gav.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Like a 6 minute play, telling all the important stories through several different acts and it never feels incongruous. Loved that one-note piano in Songbird part and how it ties to Little Sister. Really nailed this one Gav.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Man, this is good stuff. Especially loved it when you whipped out your Irish vocals.*

However, since I haven't played Infinite yet (grumble grumble grumble), I feel that I can't really appreciate this as much as I should. And while I get why you had Little Sister (kinda) in, it seemed a little too much Little Sister to me, partly because I couldn't help but think "You're singing it wrong!" (I'm a doof, I know).

However, once I finally get to play, I'll give this another listen, and probably need a new change of bottoms and a pack of cigarettes.

*Yes, I know you're Irish thus your vocals are technically always Irish, but for the most part your Irish-ness doesn't really come through in your songs.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Ok, you know what, I was always amazed by how good Gavin is in conveying game feel into the song, but now I have a suspicion that it's Gavin who writes song first, and then game is developed to follow... simply amazing.

phoenixbeast

Apr 14, 2009
Wow...Just wow...Here I go thinking nothing could come close to the New Black Gold or The Best I Can...But you just have to release this song now...This is absolutely stunning work...Incorporating what is essentially 3 separate songs into one coherent piece that works from perfectly from start to finish...Its making it really hard to avoid going out and dropping money on Infinite right now (something I can't afford to do at this moment)...The call back to Little Sister at the end definitely had me smiling too...

Just one more thing as an addendum...Can we get a full song in the style of the first part because DAMN you have the voice for that style of song...I mean it doesn't have to be soon or anything...Just at some point in the future...Cause (like I said before) DAMN that was perfectly done...

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Larcenist said:
My favorite part of the whole song though is something completely different. I kind of felt the CAGE reference to be mandatory in a BioShock: Infinite song but really Gav, at 3:46 you introduce Elizabeth to a mellow plucking of C-A-G-E-D? Hands down the best part.
I'm glad you noticed that! That's a little musical Easter egg I put in :)

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Wonderfully done. I love how you captured all the different tones of the game.

Zeles

Oct 3, 2009
Wow. Bravo! I hope there's an article explaining the process of this one, because DAMN!

I think my favorite part was when in got ominous during the Luteces' verse, but I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

At first, I thought that this would be a kind of dissonant song with the happy sound and the dark lyrics, but then it changed into a dark march-ey sounding tune, and I thought "Oh. So it's going to be a powerful song like Savage Side of Me and stuff". And THEN the fiddle (I think that's what it was) kicked in, and I got kind of confused. But it switched back to the "Revolt!" and then right after to a hymn like thing, and I just- And THEN the Luteces' verse came in... and after that I just accepted that this wasn't a normal kind of song, with the verse, chorus, verse structure. The ending part was strange for me, because it's been a while since I've heard Little Sister, but I still recognized it, so the call back was a bit lost on me (Especially because I've never played Bioshock).

Anyways, I really really liked this. I think it really fit the nature of Bioshock Infinite, especially the very last line, and the echoing and...

Damn.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Fapmaster5000 said:
the C-A-G-E joke was brilliant; the final product was awesome.
Again, nicely spotted ;)

Fapmaster5000 said:
I have to ask though, was this intentionally written as the multi-verse song, or did you start on one song and go, "Nah, this doesn't really cover it", try again, repeat, and eventually decide, "Frack it, everything goes in"?
Right from the get go I planned this one all out in my head. I knew I wanted it to change and twist all over the place and also be kind of chronological to the game , focusing on Columbia first then Booker & Liz for the second half - with the Lutecce's section to act as a metaphorical 'tear' from the Columbia song to the Booker/Liz one :).

thephill

Nov 24, 2010
Amazing! I love the way this song mirrors the story of the game. The different styles of music like tears. And the little sister reworked lyrics just cap it off perfectly. Best MiracleofSound song yet!
P.S I'm off to buy the new album.

MrCollins

Power Vacuumer
Jun 28, 2010
Really good one this month, Dammm...

I really liked the parallels both lyrical and musical between this and Little Sister.
Very well done indeed.

Sqrt(-1)

Jul 12, 2012
I was already going to buy Level 3, but this song... It makes me mad that I won't be able to until tomorrow.

This song is genius, like always.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
wow
this is really impressive, even considering that most of your work is rather impressive(specially recently, you seem to be on a roll)
the only thing bad about this is that it once again remind of bioshock infinite and that it will be month before i can replay it(because i know myself, if i replay it now i will not have a lot of fun)