Miracle of Sound: Dream of the Sky (BioShock: Infinite)

Larcenist

Apr 22, 2011
LolaDee said:
Thanks for all the lovely comments! I am SO impressed by those of you who got the c-a-g-e-d reference! When Gav told me about it, I was thinking 'really? You're gonna make me sing this awkward melody JUST to spell out a word that links in with the game even though no one will even know?'. I totally underestimated you guys! Impressive! :)
Many most likely expected it since it is pretty much a given to include it (and since Gavin never fails to capture the essence of a game in his songs this tiny thing was not getting past him). Also I'm not sure if it's the standard (but it seems logical) but anyone that has studied even a just a little music should (most likely) have started practicing their aural skills with the C-major scale, which should make these particular notes quite easy to catch (especially combined with the first point that you're expecting the C-A-G-E at some point).

I could only really sit there with a smile on my face when I first played the song and reached this part, it was just placed so obviously yet still not sounded forced at all.

Morkel

Feb 17, 2011
The very second I heard "...home." I just thought: HELL! YES!

I honestly didn't see that coming. And when it did, I was overwhelmed. I can't find any superlatives fitting enough. Pure ecstasy!

And yes, this might very well be Gav's best song. So far, I must add. He never ceases to impress, time and time again.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
Excellent, Pretty much the game summed up perfectly and muscially. Oh and Very good video, it fits perfectly with the music.

Overall brilliant, and i will be on on my way to pick up level 3 cheers!

KasraF

Nov 7, 2011
Wow! I thought "Sovngarde Song" was great, but this is far better than anything else you've done. I specially love the call back to "Little Sister". Great job Gav!

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
I loved it! I couldn't help but sing along to the second half of the song, and I usually don't sing along to a song the first time I hear it. Also tying it back to the song "Little Sister" was perfect, as soon as I heard the first few notes, I knew you were tying it back.

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
I find the chorus to be especially good, I love the punch in that "BAPTISED in the water" line.

Loremaster P

Nov 23, 2009
I'm completely in love with this song Gav, annoys me greatly that i have yet to buy the game itself, mostly since my backlog is huge. But this song has just put Infinite on the top of that list, great job there. And the song is among your top three, possibly even number one. Bought Level 3 as soon as i heard the song :)

Shilefin

Aug 18, 2011
I am quite positive that hearing this song could be considered a cure to a wide variety of diseases, cancer included. Also getting laid and generally winning at life. Yeah. It's that good.

Seriously. It genuinely made my day better. Nay, the whole week. These darn songs. 'Ha. 'The Best I Can'. Not going to get any better that that. Surely' - I unthoughtfully put together in my head, and then, of course, my foolish remarks are always annihilated by the next one.

A really great piece about a really great game.

Vitagen

Apr 25, 2010
Everything about this song is amazing. It starts off solid, makes a few excellent stylistic shifts, and then builds to a sublime finish. Yes, you read that right, sublime. By the end of the song, my eyes were shimmering quite a bit.

And then I listened to it again.

And again.

All in all, I think I held up my SW:TOR buddies by around 20 - 30 minutes obsessively listening to this song. And while I am sorry for that, this song is just too good. Keep it up, Gavin. Your work has added a lot of great songs to my collection over the past couple of years, and I expect you to keep 'em coming.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
This moved and surprised me every bit as much as the game itself which, for anyone who has played the game will know, is high praise indeed.

You captured the pure essence of Columbia beautifully, on pretty much every level. The discordant strings that start around the 1:30 mark are a brilliant reference to Garry Schyman's original soundtrack and work wonderfully. It's easy to forget how rotten Columbia is underneath that shiny veneer and I'm always brought back down to earth by the Raffle, this song made that transition every bit as jarring as it should be.

The verse about the "hybrid face of time and space" is quite possibly one of my favourite sections for any of your songs!

I've proclaimed Bioshock Infinite as my favourite game of this generation and to say that you've done it justice several times over... well I hope that says it all.

Thank you, Gav.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
This is possibly one of my favourite of your songs. I've liked a lot of your other work but this is one of my favourites. Fits the game very well, especially in the way that the song has multiple phases which all flow into each other very smoothly.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
Wow, this was amazing definitely one of my favorites if not my new favorite. I not only loved how the song captured the mood of the different sections of the game (especially the whole Black soul music and Irish jig part) but I actually really liked how the video matched up with the song, not sure if I should thank Justin or Gavin for that. Anyways, its a great song I'll definitely be buying it once I get my iPod fixed.

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
I think you just raised the bar with this one Gavin. I'd say your best work yet. Incredible song!

colostomizer

Jun 7, 2011
A game that, by all accounts, is a work of art. Now represented by a song that is, by all accounts, is a work of art.
God, the more I listen to this song, the more beautiful it gets. Just keeps shifting and building and the last 2 minute loving homage to Little Sister is just epic.

Words completely fail to do this song justice.

Bravo.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
doggie015 said:
I have bought Level 3. It was worth it just for this song... DAMN this is awesome!! How is this guy not on the radio already!?
Cause people enjoy listening to crap and MoS is anything but.

I just had to re-post how awesome this song is... I still cannot get it out of my head, and I've heard 5 times.

The "Little Sister" reference bit of the song just plucks at my heart-strings.

Been a long time since a song made me feel that way.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I guess it's all been said before, but I wanted to take the time to congratulate you on this wonderful piece of music you created, Gav. We've known for a long time now that you stand head and shoulders above most of the insipid junk that passes for music these days, but it's tracks such as this one that raise you on a pedestal as far above mainstream music as Columbia is above the Earth. A hearty cheers to you, mate! I love this song! :D

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
That was absolutely sublime. Have you been listening to a lot of prog recently Gavin? Cause that song shifted through so many different moods, and pulled it all off amazingly, like the best progressive rock and metal. Love the guitar work around 4:10- beautiful. Definitely your best work yet.

Sordin

Aug 5, 2011
Certainly up there with new black gold as a definite classic. The stand out but for me was the Lutece bit though.

maximalist566

Jan 10, 2012
The only downside of the song is its Audiosurf track =). Great in every way.

Also, Gav, if next installment of Bioshock will be giant city on the Moon, will your song have verses like

And I dream of the moon
Broken earth in the dune
And I dream of the Moon
I am sorrow-immune

=)

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
This song is so elaborately constructed and well made, on top of being immensely fun to listen to.

Gavin has definitely outdone himself.