Miracle of Sound: Fires Far (Dark Souls II Song)

The_State

Jun 25, 2008
I came for the Dark Souls. I stayed for the excellent musical composition and haunting melody.

This track not only evokes the spirit of decayed and mysterious Drangleic, but it stands on its own as a memorable piece of music.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Really great stuff Gav, and it really fits what's going on in the game from what I understand. Haven't finished the first one and I'm planning on getting this one since it looks like a good ride.

Video was nicely done as well.

Good stuff all around! :D

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I've always loved it when you made songs like this, going in slow, then pull out the guitars about halfway through to give the song another level. You did the same thing for Sovngarde Song, and it's still a favorite of mine.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
The callback at the end was fucking haunting. Really liked the tempo and build up. Another beautiful song. Thanks Gavin! :D

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
Another damn fine song, Gav! Hearing "Sisters of solace singing" made me think of the Milfanito you meet towards the end, singing the first Dark Souls' ending credits theme. Heck, "The mourning bells are ringing" made me think of, well, I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't gotten to that part yet, but I think anyone who has gotten to that point will know what I'm talking about, haha.

colostomizer

Jun 7, 2011
A new song?! 'Bout time! I've had the shakes it's been so long!
This really takes me back to the songs I spent my youth listening to. Keep up the good work, sir! In these bleak modern times, your stuff reminds us we don't have to mourn the death of rock and roll quite yet

Oct 10, 2011
First you give me my favorite song of all time in the form of Amnesia, now you perfectly capture the mood of one of my favorite games.

Well, off I go to give Gav some more of my money.

micuu

Mar 28, 2014
I created this account to post in this thread and say: How do you keep out-doing yourself Gavin? That was amazing.

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
This song is amazing and playing the melody of You Died at the end was just perfect. Really, great work.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Mistilteinn said:
Hearing "Sisters of solace singing" made me think of the Milfanito
That's exactly what the line references :)

micuu said:
I created this account to post in this thread and say: How do you keep out-doing yourself Gavin? That was amazing.
Many late nights, obsessive personality and not enough sleep :p <3

Jamous said:
The callback at the end was fucking haunting. Really liked the tempo and build up. Another beautiful song. Thanks Gavin! :D
Thank YOU!

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
I think I speak for everyone when I say that we would all like to give a hearty welcome back to a long missed talented friend.

Welcome back Mr. Dunn, welcome back!
And what a great comeback it is.

Fapmaster5000

May 13, 2011
So brooding. Much fatalism. Wow. Very epic. Wow.

Seriously rocking work here, Gavin. I was just thinking yesterday, "It has been far too long since the last MoS." Never stop, dude.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
I closed my eyes and listened to this song and Suite Sister Mary popped in my head. Ha ha ha! Isn't that proof of quality? A song so damn good it reminds me of Suite Sister Mary.

I've never played Dark Souls because it doesn't seem like my cup of tea, but I think I might borrow it from a friend so I can understand the lyrics to this song a little more. That's something I've recently noticed -- The less I know about the game/movie/tv show, the harder it is to comprehend the lyrics to some of your songs. It doesn't make the songs any less enjoyable, but it just makes me asks questions like, "What does he mean be 'Fires Far?' What do you do in Dark Souls 2? Light fires?" :p

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Steve Waltz said:
I closed my eyes and listened to this song and Suite Sister Mary popped in my head. Ha ha ha! Isn't that proof of quality? A song so damn good it reminds me of Suite Sister Mary.

I've never played Dark Souls because it doesn't seem like my cup of tea, but I think I might borrow it from a friend so I can understand the lyrics to this song a little more. That's something I've recently noticed -- The less I know about the game/movie/tv show, the harder it is to comprehend the lyrics to some of your songs. It doesn't make the songs any less enjoyable, but it just makes me asks questions like, "What does he mean be 'Fires Far?' What do you do in Dark Souls 2? Light fires?" :p
I get that :) The songs are full of references so knowing the source material gives a new interpretation of them. And yep, you light a whooooole lotta fires in DS2 :D

Larcenist

Apr 22, 2011
Yeah I'm pretty sure this song just knocked The Day The World Died from my #1 Gav song spot. The line "the mourning bells are ringing" is a melodical masterpiece. Unfortunately I have yet to play Dark Souls 2 (I made the mistake of pre-purchasing in the same order as Watch Dogs which in turn delays DS2 until late May as well, at least I'll get twice the fun then) so I'm most likely missing some of the greatness in this tune. Nevertheless fantastic work as always.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
I feel like I lack the words adequately convey awesome this song is, and I can't help but crack a smile at 2:30. But non the less, this popping up just before I went to bed last night, managed to make a rough day into a good one. So thank you for that.
Sadly, I've yet to play Dark Souls (or DS2). But, given all the recent praise for these games, I'll probably give it a go soon... and get horribly murdered over and over again xD
Also, I've got to say that the music in this one is fantastic. Really one of your best yet Gav, and I'd love to hear an instrumental version some time in the future.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Haunting and lovely, amazing as always Gavin! I loved the transition from a simply haunting melody with great visuals chosen to some straight up damn fine doom metal track.