Miracle of Sound: Half Man's Song (Game of Thrones)

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
I think this is my first comment about one of your songs. Truly impressive work, Gavin.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Someday I'll play the game or see the movie/show before you make the song, I swear... Someday... Until then, all I can do is offer my ignorant context lacking opinion XD

This song seems very folksy to me, like a song you would hear in an old Pub (Like the bards in Skyrim). It gives me a "tribute to an antihero (or villain?) that accomplished great things" vibe, kind of like the praise for Bonnie and Clyde and other outlaws (obviously with a different aesthetic though).

The music itself is outside of what I usually listen to genre wise, so it'll take more listens than normal for me to decide whether I like it or not, but so far so good. Two thumbs up would do business again :)

...And now that I have more money I can stop being cheap and buy your stuff on Bandcamp instead of Itunes. You deserve more than a paltry 0.99 $ for these tunes!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm almost caught up with Game of Thrones, and I think if I wasn't into the show I probably wouldn't appreciate the song as much as I do now.

The lyrics to the song fit really well with him, and is probably something he would say.

Love this song Gav. :D

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Slycne said:
blackdwarf said:
"And the ravens black against the winter's mist
Are whispering the half-man's song"
While I used imagery of the Night's Watch in the video because I liked the double entendre nature, felt very Tyrion-esque. I took the line to mean that the messages the raven's carry around the realm are laced with Tyrion's plots, schemes and such as he manipulates those around him.

Or at least that was my interpretation.
The Ravens are also notorious for huge flocks of them eating corpses, naming someone as Raven food etc is declaring them to be dead. I think its a duel message, both for carrying his plots and messages and for the way many of his enemies end up dead.

As for the song, great lyrics and well sang. The Music didn't really grab me but the lyrics where awesome.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
J Tyran said:
The Ravens are also notorious for huge flocks of them eating corpses, naming someone as Raven food etc is declaring them to be dead. I think its a duel message, both for carrying his plots and messages and for the way many of his enemies end up dead.

As for the song, great lyrics and well sang. The Music didn't really grab me but the lyrics where awesome.
Sounds like Tyrion to me, lots of misleadingly vague notions, most of the time required to keep his head where it belongs.

The Scollard said:
tied with Jon and Arya.
Yeah, both Jon and Arya are awesome, though I've also grown fond of Bronn. I mean seriously, how can you fight this logic?

Jon is a wee bit of an idiot at times though...

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
JaceArveduin said:
J Tyran said:

Sounds like Tyrion to me, lots of misleadingly vague notions, most of the time required to keep his head where it belongs.

The Scollard said:
tied with Jon and Arya.
Yeah, both Jon and Arya are awesome, though I've also grown fond of Bronn. I mean seriously, how can you fight this logic?
True, Tyrion often hides his true intentions in his actions and makes them seem something else and then often serve a dual purpose.

As for Bron I think he is a great character,
I think despite his work ethics meant him parting from Tyrion and taking someone elses coin (for which Tyrion held no grudge and understood and wished him well) he was fond of Tyrion and appreciated the way he took him from a common sellsword to a wealthy land owner. He named his adopted son Tyrion, probably as a joke and a nod of thanks.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
To quote David Mitchell, "All this not being able to reach things from shelves, one day will be made up for when I kill millions of people. I shall stand on their bodies to reach the jam."

mastermerrick

Bored. That is all.
Jul 7, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I'm almost caught up with Game of Thrones, and I think if I wasn't into the show I probably wouldn't appreciate the song as much as I do now.

The lyrics to the song fit really well with him, and is probably something he would say.

Love this song Gav. :D
Don't worry yourself too much. I haven't seen any of Game of Thrones, and I still think this is one of his best pieces.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Slycne said:
blackdwarf said:
"And the ravens black against the winter's mist
Are whispering the half-man's song"
While I used imagery of the Night's Watch in the video because I liked the double entendre nature, felt very Tyrion-esque. I took the line to mean that the messages the raven's carry around the realm are laced with Tyrion's plots, schemes and such as he manipulates those around him.

Or at least that was my interpretation.
Also, he has no imagery from the show of the toll of Winter on the land. Winter shapes Westeros, especially in the North (hence "Winter is Coming"). It is a time of lean and death and speaks to the coming darkness that is built from book one up to book six "The Winds of Winter" so to me it is perfectly suited to the notion of someone planning ahead.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Also, the line "cruel tricks of romance" hit home to me and the character. In his past how his heart has been the play thing of others and why, in part, he carries his cynical view.

The scene of him strangling Shae was as tragic as it was cathartic for her betrayal condemning him to death. Truly, she felt the half man's reach in the end of her game.

shadowslayer81

May 9, 2011
Aw man, I love this so much.
I really can't wait to get Season 3 going Davos Seaworth gets seriously badass (reading through Book 3 right now and want to finish it before I start up the show).

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
-slackjawed-
Gosh, that was just Amazing! I really can't find any other words to describe it.

I love you, man :'-)
...in a platonic way!

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
This song is amazing, took me a few rewatches to truly like it. But it grows on you quickly, and as always the quality is apparent from the start :p

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
Very nicely done indeed.
If I'm not mistaken I hear strings but what I'm not sure as to what is that which they are occasionally accompanying.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
That was quite wonderful. Peter Dinklage, take note, this needs to be your theme tune from now on.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Do you know what I love most? That Gavin revealed he was working on this in an interview with me, ages ago. And it's well worth the freaking wait! Nice, smooth and sexy. Just like the Imp himself, am I right?

ConjurerOfChaos

Feb 23, 2011
Long time listener, first time poster.

My thought process:
Game of Thrones on Miracle of Sound? Sounds rad, let's check ... aw, come on. Tyrion?! Really?! Hasn't he been worked to death because we ALL love him. Anyway, let's give it a try.
And this better be good, because I friggin' love Tyrion.

I am now currently listening to the song for the twelfth time, and the gooseflesh on my arms is not really decreasing. This is amazing. I thought "Rise" was your masterpiece, but this ... this is so amazing, I'm beyond words.

This is Tyrion. This song, literally, is Tyrion.

A masterpiece. Thank you, Gav.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Despite not knowing anything about Game of Thrones, this was very enjoyable to listen to.

mastermarty

Feb 13, 2010
Is that a mockingbird I hear in the background, or am I imagining things?
But anyway, great song!