Miracle of Sound: Life In Bullet Time (Max Payne 3)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Life In Bullet Time (Max Payne 3)

I keep watching the world go by in bullet time.

Watch Video

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
00:45 - Bruce Willis?

DVS BSTrD said:
Was a little wary at the beginning
I agree with this sentiment. I wasn't a fan of the visuals or the song at first, but it got better.

L3G0kees

Mar 25, 2010
Love it, the raw beginning, the ending and everything inbetween is awesome :D. Can't wait for it to come up on itunes

Jungy 365

Sep 13, 2010
As someone who has never touched a Max Payne game before, I don't think I can offer much, but, from what I can tell, that was a pretty good effort.
I really liked the piano sections with 'sometimes a man with nothing good left to die for' really great, as it felt really close to what I have always thought the Max Payne games were about: a grizzled Noire detective giving an overly dramatic yet undeniably awesome narration in a deeply stylized setting. The rest of the song felt like quite a different tone to that, but I imagine that might have been your goal, as Max Payne 3 seems to be a big leap for the series in a new direction (setting wise), but I never felt like it was out of touch with one another, and I thought it was a good merging of the two. The buildup near the end was also really well done.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Really liked the piano bits and the parts where your voice was the deepest.
And like most of your songs, this one as well made me want to play the game you sang about. So, quite the good job, I´d say.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I haven't played Max Payne 3, so I can't really judge if the song fits the game's mood. However, I do remember the previous instalments, and you most definitely retained some of the noire atmosphere, especially in the lyrics and the plaintive piano keystrokes.
Judging the song on its own merits as a piece of music, it's awesome. Dark, gritty and raw - instant Top 10 material right there. :D
(Btw, should I take this song as a recommendation to play the game?)

sean360h

Jun 2, 2010
Got a very strong sweet L.A. vibe from the song. the song has a really great Style to it the lyrics and the way they are delivered really sound epic. Personally I think this is now your best song the sooner this gets on to itunes the better

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I can't wait until I get to play Max Payne 3, love the first two and the third looks really impressive. This song only made me more excited for it, from the "man with nothing to lose" reference to the way that so many sounds come together so well, the piano especially was fantastic.

Also, I saw your comments about homophobia on twitter Gav, and wanted to say thank you. It's great to see someone be so direct with both those who don't understand and those who are simply ignorant. To be so blunt as to say "don't buy my music if you're homophobic" is incredible and I really respect you for it.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Max Payne 3 failed to impress me. This song, however, does. The piano, catchiness and general awesome.

Ditto what the other person said. A guitar solo would be epic.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Chichik Boom ? :D

Damn, for a moment, i thought i was listening to some old Paradise Lost/Faith No More songs... Thank you very much for that Gavin. It's good to know that -> M <-usic didn't die.

Hollyday

Mar 5, 2012
I'm finding that every new song is just that little bit more awesome.

I loved the opening. I haven't played any of the Max Payne games, but it really takes you into a noir, hard-boiled setting. It made me think of the old Billy Wilder and Howard Hawks films (I'm thinking about 'The Big Sleep' especially) if they were given a modern reboot. Nicely done. At least I now have something to get 'Keep Drifting' out of my head!

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Draconalis said:
00:45 - Bruce Willis?

DVS BSTrD said:
Was a little wary at the beginning
I agree with this sentiment. I wasn't a fan of the visuals or the song at first, but it got better.
Yeah I got a Die Hard 4.0 vibe from that scene when I played the game, also I agree with these 2, wasn't sure at the start but it got much better.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
The game looks good, song was good as always.
Liked the piano bit close to the ending.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Not a song I like as much, but still good. Oh, and you seem to be workin overtime XD that's a song a week for 3 weeks now.

Kelgair

May 20, 2012
Love it! Not only did the lyrics seem to be spot on for Max Payne 3 itself, but the style seemed exceptionally appropriate for a "'bullet time' era" game IMO. ;)

Regardless I loved it for the same reason I love The New Black Gold, The Crucible, Joker's Song, Commander Shepard, and Khajiit Like to Sneak. :) It's good music.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
I think it fits really well with the feel of the game, and Maxs mental state probably in all the games, but even more so in number 3. So excellent work!