Miracle of Sound: Little Sister (BioShock)

PortalThinker113

Jul 13, 2010
Wow... So haunting and deep, and it even got the watery effects perfect... You outdo yourself every single time. It's getting the point that it's really hard for me to pick my favorites, as every week there's just another fantastic song out. Well done, sir. Well done.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
This now easily my favorite one, I love the chorus. This fits really well with the game, really haunting.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Sonicron said:
Do I detect a little Damon Albarn in there?
Not intentionally at least, I was going more for a NIN kinda vibe. But I do like me some Blur!

timelordrick said:
This was more epic than anything that has ever graced my ears.
Every time a new vid goes up there's at least one comment that makes my day... this is one of them :)

SomeBritishDude said:
The choras gives me chills.

Your fantastic Miracle, don't go anywhere.
I'm here to stay!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Owlslayer said:
Hells yes, that was awesome. Some parts of it really sounded... umm, watery? Wave-y? I don't know, but it did feel right.
That was indeed deliberate, I used a compressor called a Sidechain to get the sound:

What it does is links instruments to eachother... so when the kick drum hits in it sucks the volume down on the synths for a split second - that's what gave it the pumping, 'wavey' effect. :)

Captain Epic

Jul 8, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Owlslayer said:
Hells yes, that was awesome. Some parts of it really sounded... umm, watery? Wave-y? I don't know, but it did feel right.
That was indeed deliberate, I used a compressor called a Sidechain to get the sound:

What it does is links instruments to eachother... so when the kick drum hits in it sucks the volume down on the synths for a split second - that's what gave it the pumping, 'wavey' effect. :)
How do you get your songs recorded? Do you have your own mini recording studio or what? You did a really good job with the atmosphere. Also those clips reminded me why I hold Bioshock in such high esteem and they worked well with the music. My favorite song of yours is still "I suck at Call Of Duty" but this one was really good! Nice job! Also the title reminded me of The Queens of the Stone Age.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Captain Epic said:
How do you get your songs recorded? Do you have your own mini recording studio or what? You did a really good job with the atmosphere.
I record in my bedroom, on my computer. I have pretty limited equipment to be honest, Cubase, Ableton, a microphone, a bass and my guitar.

SouthpawFencer

Jul 5, 2010
I've enjoyed quite a few Miracle of Sound songs, some more than others (and, so far, none where I've though "this sucks"), but I think this is the first Miracle of Sound song where I feel compelled to share the link to people who have never even HEARD of the game in question to say "even if you don't understand the lyrics, this song is worth listening to ANYWAY".

Captain Epic

Jul 8, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Captain Epic said:
How do you get your songs recorded? Do you have your own mini recording studio or what? You did a really good job with the atmosphere.
I record in my bedroom, on my computer. I have pretty limited equipment to be honest, Cubase, Ableton, a microphone, a bass and my guitar.
Wow. My band has done sessions at a true recording studio and you sound way more polished and professional than we do. That's bloody impressive.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Captain Epic said:
Wow. My band has done sessions at a true recording studio and you sound way more polished and professional than we do. That's bloody impressive.
Thank you :)

I am of the opinion that it's not about the gear you have, it's how well the engineer can use it. You can great sounds from very limited equipment Liam Howlett made an entire Prodigy album in his bedroom on his laptop!

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
I love the range you and your band has. Already you've written at least 5 songs that are as legendary as "Mayes sims 3 song"

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Sonicron said:
Do I detect a little Damon Albarn in there?
Not intentionally at least, I was going more for a NIN kinda vibe. But I do like me some Blur!
Damn, I was gonna say that.. I was just thinking early NIN (Pretty Hate Machine era) - You should try to get Trent Reznor to cover this ;-)

Some of the harmonies are similar to Erasure (in a good way)

(yet another) Awesome track BTW (in case you didn't get that I liked it from the post)

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I liked it, but I'll always associate this song with Bioshock:
Queens of the stone age - Little sister [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGRqnNEOpe0&ob=av2e]

Little sister can't you find another way,
No more livin life behind a shadow...

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Kenji_03 said:
I love the range you and your band has. Already you've written at least 5 songs that are as legendary as "Mayes sims 3 song"
There be no band! 'Tis just me.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
GrizzlerBorno said:
I think it would've been more apt to make this about both Bioshock 1 AND 2, since you do play as a Big daddy in the latter (as opposed to just pretending to be one).
That's a fair point. I wasn't attempting to make some overheated commentary on the superiority of one game or the other. I just felt the visual storytelling and atmosphere of the first game were a better fit for this song.

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
MiracleOfSound said:
Kenji_03 said:
There be no band! 'Tis just me.
So... what program do you use to make such a diverse range of instruments in your music? 0.o or do you actually know how to PLAY all of the instruments we've heard? (Also, my jaw just hit the floor)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Kenji_03 said:
So... what program do you use to make such a diverse range of instruments in your music? 0.o or do you actually know how to PLAY all of the instruments we've heard? (Also, my jaw just hit the floor)
I use Ableton to do the synths and atmospheric stuff, I use Cubase to program the drums and I play the guitars and keyboards and mix it all in Cubase.

Sweet L.A. was an exception, I got in jazz sax and piano players for that one.

I should really do a setup video someday, show you guys how I work.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
You are an evil man.
I JUST traded in Bioshock!
Great song as always Miracle.
The two repeated versus are pretty haunting, but in a good way. It's cool to hear game themed music that isn't generic rap/rock, such as Mind of the Bat, Sweet L.A., or this. Also, one of the few times I like having two vocal lines at once. Think it works well here because I imagined it as sound waves reverberating in the water (if I used that wrong, sorry. I'm tired). The instrumental work here was also amazing.
[sub]I liked your rock music, just the change of pace is refreshing[/sub]
Have you ever played Oblivion Miracle?
*not so subtle music request*