Miracle of Sound: Shadow of the Ash (Shadow of Mordor Music Video)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Shadow of the Ash (Shadow of Mordor Music Video)

Broken blade. Black blood falling. Shadow of the ash.

Watch Video

micuu

Mar 28, 2014
Rockin. Also, nice call back to 'Call of Home'.

edit: and can anyone else hear shades of 'Shadows in the Moonlight' at 3:16? Don't think it's exactly the same, but it certainly is reminiscent. Same key I guess.

The Scollard

Aug 10, 2010
That was really good, Gavin. It was completely awesome and... it's now stuck in my head.

DAAAMMMMNNN YOOOUUUUU, DDDDDUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Why do you have to write such awesomely catchy songs.

Anyway, in all seriousness, I really enjoyed the callback to "Call of Home", and this is coming from someone who didn't really like "Call of Home" as much as your other songs. However, it worked really well here, as you took my favourite part and the most catchy part, and it exclusively. During the song, I much prefer the second time you used it to the first.

Congratulations on another great song. Can't wait for Level 5. By the way, does Level 5 have a release date yet? I'm really excited for it, as it has some of my favourite songs of yours on it.

EDIT: Added pink text to make sarcasm more obvious.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Move over, Beneath the Black Flag; I have a new favorite Miracle of Sound song! Strong like Nightwish, and rough like Running Wild.

The Scollard said:
That was really good, Gavin. It was completely awesome and... it's now stuck in my head. DAAAMMMMNNN YOOOUUUUU, DDDDDUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEE!!!!! Why do you have to write such awesomely catchy songs.
Dude? Why would you EVER complain about *this* song stuck in your head?! Consider it a blessing! If anything, I?m going to be complaining about the neck pain this song is eventually going to give me.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
TakerFoxx said:
Well. That was badass.
You can say that again. I think my mind found a new home on the wall behind me.

Keep up the great work Gavin! You are simply awesome!

The Scollard

Aug 10, 2010
Steve Waltz said:
The Scollard said:
That was really good, Gavin. It was completely awesome and... it's now stuck in my head. DAAAMMMMNNN YOOOUUUUU, DDDDDUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEE!!!!! Why do you have to write such awesomely catchy songs.
Dude? Why would you EVER complain about *this* song stuck in your head?! Consider it a blessing! If anything, I?m going to be complaining about the neck pain this song is eventually going to give me.
In case you couldn't tell, I was being sarcastic. I love Gavin's music, and I love it when I randomly get one of his songs stuck in my head. The last half of my comment is talking about how much I love the song. I probably should of used the pink font, so I'll fix that.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Great one again Gav!
Haven't played Shadow of Mordor but it hasn't stopped me from liking your previous music either.
And this is my favorite type of music (Rock/Metal) so I was pretty much bound to like this song :D

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Is it just me or am I hearing a bit of the hobbit song in there? Second verse I think.

Badass song by the way. A new favourite!

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
Nice one. Seems like I have to go and dig up my old hammerfall and blind guardian albums; this got the old power metal vein pumping.

Oct 10, 2011
I loved the song as always but... I'm actually not a fan of how you add in callbacks to earlier songs. Just by looking at the comments above I can tell that I'm in the minority, so I know it wouldn't be reasonable to expect you to stop doing it, but it nearly ruins this song for me.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
This is certainly one of those songs that just sticks in your head and doesn't want to leave (nor do you want it to). Very enjoyable indeed :)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
The Scollard said:
Congratulations on another great song. Can't wait for Level 5. By the way, does Level 5 have a release date yet? I'm really excited for it, as it has some of my favourite songs of yours on it.

Hopefully it'll be out in early december :) Still have a few more songs I wanna get done ;)

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
It a good song but feel something in the song impeding me from fully enjoying the song. I am just sure what in the song is causing that.

Edit- I does now flow very well. I have no clue if flow is the right word to describe my criticism.
the beginning has a great energy to it that get me to initially like song, then some part after words just kinda take me out of it, then get good again, then it stops be as good. that not exactly how I saw the song but think gets the basic meaning my criticism if I am use the wrong terminology.

the only specific thing I can be sure so far is

Through rubble, rock and stone
The ashes are my home
The silver sting of hatred
It creeps into my bones

does not fully feel like it belongs in the song imo. I mean that as in the way it sounds compared to the other parts of the song. I don't really have any issue with is it being a callback to Call of home.

Edit 2:
the Alternate Vocals Version is definitely an improvement.