Miracle of Sound: The Best I Can (The Walking Dead)

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
I liked the song. I still prefer City of Night though...

*goes back to reading Biotechnology textbook*

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Eric the Orange said:
I would have thought Justin would have used this scene
With the lyric "I wont always be there for you" the scene at the end where she has to shoot/leave you.
Though I guess your reason not to was spoiler based.
Yeah, Gav and I discussed how much spoiling we did or didn't want to have in there.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
That... that was just terrifyingly haunting. I just experienced the entire 5 episodes worth of emotion all again in one song. I can't emphasise how beautiful that was, Gav. Thank you so much for bringing this to our world.

The last scene, of Clem handing Lee the hammer, while the line "The darkest road ahead you're gonna have to face it, cause I can't always be there..." made me think that the lyric might be from Clem's POV as much as it is meant to be from Lee's.

After all, what exactly is the darkest road?

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
MrFlipFlops said:
I have even yet to play the games (thanks, uni) and this still hit me right in the tear ducts :( Absolutely amazing work, Gav. This one is going straight to the MoS masterpieces collection.

Was it me projecting or did you sound a bit chocked up at around 2:27? Either way your voice-work in this is incredibly heartfelt and genuine. Hats off, good sir.
I'm more shocked he was able to sing it at all without bawling :O

riftermcriftington

Dec 11, 2010
I loved every second of TWD. It is a rare gem not just in gaming but narrative story telling in general, even the show has lost a bit of bite in the shadow of my time with Clem and Lee.

hino77

Mar 4, 2010
Great song, punched straight in to them feelings.I especialy love the lyrics, that last line without the: "for now ill do the best i can" , that made the water thingys start comming. And i advise people who didnt checkout his yt channel, to do so, becouse the city of night song is fenomenal,and the refrences to the cyberpunk pen and paper game were a really nice touch.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
It didn't actually make me cry, like some others here... It was good though, mostly reminded me of the ending. I'd love to see a sequel of the game, with an older Clementine as main character.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Dammit Gav! I don't have any feels, but you got me right in them anyway!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Good job Gavin, you really did a good job capturing the emotional aspect of the game :D

All dem feels!

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Really good song! Not exactly crying, but dammit I did get a bit choked up. I have a sudden need to reach beyond the screen and hug Clementine (then again, who doesn't?).

My favorite lines are probably:

And I can see your smile is withered-I just love that shot of Clementine that goes with it.

And I can take your hand and guide you-For some reason I'm suddenly reminded of times where Clementine would hold Lee's hand.

Honorable mention: It's better not to care-Though I think this may have to do with that shot of Molly and the face she makes.

I like the first half more than the second half (not for any particular reason though), but its still a very good song, so great job!

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Fuck. Seriously. Fuck.

The only criticism that I have is that the last chorus has a bit of empty space that some simple guitar or even more strings could fill, but other than that it's pretty much perfect.

Probably the best of your music as far as being a companion to the game.

EDIT: After listening to it all day, I can confirm that this song is masterpiece and possibly my favorite since Sovngarde Song.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
[small]I'm not gonna cry...I'm not gonna cry...I'm not gonna cry...[/small]

(Please note that I don't mean any disrespect in this next comment):

A lot of the songs that you do seem to...for lack of a better description, scratch the surface layer of the game and leaves it at that. They sound great and they look great but they never really (for me) make me remember what it was like playing the game. They don't fully capture the game.

THAT....that was just perfection. Maybe it's easier to do with a game like The Walking Dead but you seemed to have turned your talents up to 11 for that one.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Wow, just wow. You perfectly captured the mood of the game right there. I may have said this about a lot of your songs, but this is one of your best, Gav.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
This opens up recently mended wounds...
Lovely work nonetheless.

Irridium said:
That was beautiful.

I'm scared for season 2 of Walking Dead. Scared it'll break me even more.
There is nothing left that they can do to me..

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I really like how you sang the chorus the second time, it sounded like you were almost crying, it's very theatrical, like something you'd hear in a musical, anyway I liked it a lot.
[sup][sup]Also instant buy, I normally like to wait until you release the compilation album because I'm kind of a cheap bastard, but I had to buy this one immediately, it was only 1 dollar though, because I'm cheap.[/sup][/sup]

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
Oh my goodness. That was seriously emotional.
Loved especially the second time you went into the chorus and your voice sounded like you were about to start crying! Sent shivers down my spine. Bravo Gav. Bravo.

EDIT: Heh, looks like I was beat to the prize, but my point still stands!