Miracle of Sound: The Day the World Died (Metro: Last Light)

Colonel Mustard

Jun 2, 2010
Aww, I was hoping for some balalaika action :p

Seriously though, this was superb, and I felt it really captured the very bleak feel of the Metro games, and the subject matter of the song was very nicely related to the games' themes as well. Very powerful, very moving, and definitely an instant download once it comes out on Bandcamp.

colostomizer

Jun 7, 2011
Haunting and soulful. I couldn't imagine a more appropriate song for that game... A song about war and how war never changes. Beauty and bleak at the same time.

That gives me an idea, you should do a Fallout song called Beauty Bleak.
*ehem*

phoenixbeast

Apr 14, 2009
Another great song...How do you do that so often?!? Hauntingly beautiful...I always love the slower parts of your songs a bit too much...More ability to sit back and revel in the music I guess...All in all a great song as usual...

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
If this song doesn't prove you as a lyrical genius, Gav, nothing will. Bravo on another masterpiece good sir, bravo indeed.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Very somber and philosophical. I like it.

Will you be performing it at the expo? ;)

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
The song got particularly terrific once the orchestra and drums kicked in. I wonder, what were your influences for this one?

Lexxicator

May 3, 2011
Too heavy and too sad for my Russian ears. Даешь калинку-малинку на бабалайке верхом на медведе и на фоне ядерного взрыва? :3

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Wow Gav, this is very soulful. I have not played the games, but this song has a very definite ambience that, even though sad, is delicious to my ears. Congrats Gav! As my for my particular tastes, you're on a roll lately. Scheduling this on bandcamp purchase.

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
A rather nice and smooth blend of western vocal style with the old soviet eastern one (not quite the aim I suppose but it might simply be the fact that you are singing English though, sounds nice nonetheless), the 'e' in umer and 'i' in mir could have sounded a bit different perhaps but not all regions speak alike.

Anyway, well done as always.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
5-0 said:
The song got particularly terrific once the orchestra and drums kicked in. I wonder, what were your influences for this one?
There were no particular musical influences really, just me trying to recreate the feelings I felt while going through Metro's story :) Someone did point out a Radiohead-esque feel to the song though, which I guess is fair.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
MiracleOfSound said:
5-0 said:
There were no particular musical influences really, just me trying to recreate the feelings I felt while going through Metro's story :) Someone did point out a Radiohead-esque feel to the song though, which I guess is fair.
It certainly felt "russian,"if that makes any sense. Was there some game track influence to it as well? Wouldn't know seeing as how I've never played the games, but it seemed to be like a folk song of sorts. A depressing one.

Larcenist

Apr 22, 2011
Somewhat late to the party this time around but it seems I lucked out this time. If I get the song correctly it is more about melancholic feelings rather than something very game-specific (seeing as I have not played the game this would've made it more difficult to fully understand the song).

Contrary to one comment I read you can achieve wonders when you leave your tenor range, and I really hope to have plenty more songs hitting the baritone ranges. Also 2:10 to 2:16 is so beautiful and incredibly well pulled off.

This song gains to much power if you listen to the song Anthem from the musical Chess and apply this mindset to the person telling the tale here. The feeling of hopelessness knowing the country you loved so much has been reduced to nothing before your eyes.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
I had to hide the video from my view because spoilersomg, but the song was awesome! One of your best ones in my book.
Sadly I'll have to repeat what another poster said, I don't know music enough to discuss what I liked of it ;)

Did I spot an accordion in the music?

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Depressingly beautiful. Really powerful lyrics, and spot on for the feel of the game (which I finished literally 15 minutes ago)

Venalitor

Jun 15, 2013
This song rocks, and now I must finally go through with the install of 2033. For that, I know not how to feel.

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
This is a second song after "Dream of the Sky" that I've played more than once (and many times). It is very, very good. I even think I've heard some Russian-like accent in the beginning, and both the melody and especially lyrics reminding me a lot of USSR author/bard song tradition of late 80s. Thank you very, very much.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
"Even the Apocalypse didn't stop us from killing one another over ideology." That sums up the Metro-series nicely.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Played metro up to when you get to the second village and was like fuck it. I still love this song though. I could not help thinking how much this fit the Fallout series. for fallout 4 they should just have this as the intro. Great song. Can't stop replaying.

talker

Nov 18, 2011
great song. It has a sad, Russian feel to it.

I only just learned that the band is just Gavin, and I am impressed. job well done!