Miracle of Sound: The Savage Side Of Me (Tomb Raider)

Jungy 365

Sep 13, 2010
Really like this one. This might be completely wrong, but for some reason it feels very similar to the Uncharted song you released, yet entirely different; something about the tone of your voice and the rhythm that captures constant movement ties the song together for me, despite the fact that they have very different thematic tones. Was that intentional in any way, or is it one of those weird things that only I think is there?

Dec 15, 2009
slysean said:
on the bright side, if someone ever uses a bow to kill someone, no one can say that the game taught them to do it.
Ya, because simple things like logic and reality have always stopped those kinds of people in the past... *Sigh*

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
xplosive59 said:
One word. Epic.

I mean that was stunning, it's the kind of song you listen to once and then go "Yeah I am buying this album no question about"! Really reminded me of your first album material as well.
Thanks :) I feel like Level 3 is going to be overall a stronger collection than Level 2 was.
And you can bet that Level 3 is gonna be a day one purchase from me! Also where is Level 3 gonna start? Is it gonna be just 2013 material or is it gonna start off where Level 2 finished?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Jungy 365 said:
Really like this one. This might be completely wrong, but for some reason it feels very similar to the Uncharted song you released, yet entirely different; something about the tone of your voice and the rhythm that captures constant movement ties the song together for me, despite the fact that they have very different thematic tones. Was that intentional in any way, or is it one of those weird things that only I think is there?
It does feel a bit like Keep Drifting, is has similar 2-chord sequence in the verses/bridge. Co-incidence? Well, the two games are very alike... so... maaaybe. hehe ;)

xplosive59 said:
And you can bet that Level 3 is gonna be a day one purchase from me! Also where is Level 3 gonna start? Is it gonna be just 2013 material or is it gonna start off where Level 2 finished?
It's coming out in early April and will cover every song since Level 2 (19 in total I think)

MrCollins

Power Vacuumer
Jun 28, 2010
Listening to this I thought at about the half-way mark that the song was good, but the seoond part really pushed it into greatness for me.
Up there with your other great songs, keep it coming.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
The "down"s and "found"s feel a little strange. It seems like they would work better if they were longer. Right now it's like those lines want to resolve like a wave but end like a pop from a water gun.

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
The blend between heavy guitars, adventure-movie orchestra and the frantic tempo of the game really works well. This is a good song even if you know nothing of the game, which I suppose is your goal every time(?). Looking forward to level 3!

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
I like the song. Good work on capturing Lara's forced transition to savagery in a hostile environment. Although, I remember you tweeting that the radio tower bit was an excellent part of the game. I'm going on the assumption that it was your favourite part of the game when I ask this bit shouldn't you have saved that clip for later on in the clip?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Porecomesis said:
I like the song. Good work on capturing Lara's forced transition to savagery in a hostile environment. Although, I remember you tweeting that the radio tower bit was an excellent part of the game. I'm going on the assumption that it was your favourite part of the game when I ask this bit shouldn't you have saved that clip for later on in the clip?
The video is somewhat chronological for the most part, so it is where it's meant to be. It also coincides with the 'Sun shines through/birds eye view' line, which is specifically referring to that scene :)

Phlakes said:
The "down"s and "found"s feel a little strange. It seems like they would work better if they were longer. Right now it's like those lines want to resolve like a wave but end like a pop from a water gun.
I actually tried those long too but in the end having them short and sharp felt more in theme with the nature of the song (i.e. becoming a savage). Interesting that you pointed it out though

MrCollins said:
Listening to this I thought at about the half-way mark that the song was good, but the seoond part really pushed it into greatness for me.
Up there with your other great songs, keep it coming.
Cheers! Very proud of the mid section in this one.
SoMuchSpace said:
I want to know Gavin's opinion on the game, because i really hope he saw and understood Lara's development (like the video suggest) instead of COMPLETELY missing the point (Yahtzee and his legion of "OMG I AGREE WITH YOU BUT I HAVE NEVER PLAYED THE GAME LOL I TAKE YOUR WORRD COS U GOD" army)

Also great song!I love MoS.Gavin what other music do you do besides on the escapist?
I adored the game :) In fact it's my favourite one I've played in over a year. Would've been my GOTY had it come out in 2012

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
It's a little unsettling how much that pic of Lara looks like Japanese pop legend Kamui Gackt in his "Uesugi Kenshin" costume," but with breasts......

[http://s238.photobucket.com/user/LikaLaruku/media/Hotest%20male%20Jrockers/ScreenShot001_zpsbb1e2578.png.html]

rednightmare

Apr 17, 2009
Great, now I want to play this game. Thanks Gavin, like I don't have any other games to play (Bioshock Infinite, why do I lack the funds for you).
All jokes aside, great song as always. And Level 3 is coming out next month? Can't wait! :D

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
I like the fact that Miracle of Sound's music design has evolved. You have drum beat, guitar riffs, and a male singer, but resisted the urge to make this a rock song by making the guitar riffs the center stage like you did for Sovngarde Song, instead relegating the guitar to the sidelines (and giving it some but not overwhelming attention during interludes) and harmonizing it better with the sounds of rest of the instruments/sounds used. This fits the theme of the game and the song better than anything else I've heard from you.

If only you could go back to Sovngarde Song and fix the part where you go from a wonderful nordic-themed orchestral score into generic rock and roll... but maybe you disagree with the premise that it needs fixing. Still, this song shows that there's still hope; I was completely expecting some heavy metal from you as the video was loading given the title of the song and the lyrics.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I was so excited when you hinted you were doing a song for Tomb Raider, and I am not disappointed. I think this is one of the few songs you've done that I really appreciated the lyrics, I feel as though you're improving a lot in that area.

It suggests to me that the core idea is that Lara is being forced to develop in a savage way for the sake of survival and her unwavering will to set things right again. I really hated Yahtzee's review of the game because he didn't seem to think that this a proper character arc and that she had no development, but I think the key idea is that she is being forced into extremes, and there is no real place for decisions, other than to keep going forward.

Anyway, I especially enjoyed the Japanese percussions at the beginning. Did you take any inspiration from the "Instrument" they created for the soundtrack?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
DjinnFor said:
I like the fact that Miracle of Sound's music design has evolved. You have drum beat, guitar riffs, and a male singer, but resisted the urge to make this a rock song by making the guitar riffs the center stage like you did for Sovngarde Song, instead relegating the guitar to the sidelines (and giving it some but not overwhelming attention during interludes) and harmonizing it better with the sounds of rest of the instruments/sounds used. This fits the theme of the game and the song better than anything else I've heard from you.

If only you could go back to Sovngarde Song and fix the part where you go from a wonderful nordic-themed orchestral score into generic rock and roll... but maybe you disagree with the premise that it needs fixing. Still, this song shows that there's still hope; I was completely expecting some heavy metal from you as the video was loading given the title of the song and the lyrics.
Interesting. This is mostly an issue with two things :

1. Production experience
2. Gear.

While I like the metal feel of Sovngarde Song's second half, if I had had my current studio & knowledge I'd have been able to make that song a hundred times better & had the strings dominate in that segment. I sometimes can't even listen to it nowadays as I hear so many flaws in the mixing etc, particularly the vocal sections. That said, it's still my most popular song ever, so I guess I did something right.

I spent thousands of dollars (and by thousands I'm talking 5-6 grand) on new music gear this year, in particular much better orchestral plugins, which allow me to make those sounds the focus of the songs now without the guitars having to come in and cover up the cheaper stuff's flaws.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Voulan said:
I was so excited when you hinted you were doing a song for Tomb Raider, and I am not disappointed. I think this is one of the few songs you've done that I really appreciated the lyrics, I feel as though you're improving a lot in that area.
It's so much easier to write lyrics when the story has inspiring moments & characters. I loved Lara's arc, even if it did feel a bit too fast at points

Voulan said:
Anyway, I especially enjoyed the Japanese percussions at the beginning. Did you take any inspiration from the "Instrument" they created for the soundtrack?
I took inspiration from the sounds I heard during the game, yeah. Was unaware they made a new instrument, I just presumed it was some Gamelan instruments or something similar!

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
August 2011: Yay, I won a $15 iTunes gift card from a contest. Gonna save this for something good.

May 2012: Ooo, Journey OST. Gotta support this. *spends $5*

November 2012: Hmm, been at The Escapist for a while and never really listened to Miracle of Sound. Video game music? Sure, sounds neat.
*later* Omg I can't get Sovngarde Song out of my head! I gotta buy it and spread the word to all my friends to appease the ear-worm *buys*

December 2012: Aw geeze, New Black Gold...Shadows in the Moonlight...Calamity...Legends of the Frost...soooo good x___x. *spends another $4*

January 2013: Been in an Assassin's Creed 3 sort of mood. Oh lordy, Gav made some good AC3 songs. Gotta buy! *spends $2*

February 2013: Ooo, City of Night sounds great. And ya, I really liked Keep Drifting too...*buys both*

Later February 2012: NO! NO! I'm down to $1 and I WILL resist getting that Walking Dead song for the sake of my poor eyes.

Yesterday: *listens to this awesome new song*...fine Gav, you win *buys*

And that is the story of how Gavin (and Austin Wintory) took my money : (. RIP iTunes card. Your sacrifice for good music was not in vain.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
Voulan said:
I took inspiration from the sounds I heard during the game, yeah. Was unaware they made a new instrument, I just presumed it was some Gamelan instruments or something similar!
Yeah, they built a sculpture that would make all sorts of percussion sounds. I know that some of the music in the game was made entirely with the Instrument alone. It is supposed to encompass the sound of the Island as a living entity, and your overall antagonist.

Here it is:

It features on one of the Final Hours of Tomb Raider episodes.