Miracle of Sound: The Spy Who Survived (Skyfall)

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
TimeLord said:
My only criticism is that the opening to the video should have had Gavin walk on in a suit and turn his guitar at the audience Bond style :D
I was actually expecting that to happen.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
You need to make your own little Bond film to go with this, it is great!

colostomizer

Jun 7, 2011
Well, it was much, much better than Adelle's song.
Nicely done, as always. Loved the "Bond" style music! Way to tiptoe neatly around copyright!

Song's probably better than the film, seemed a little... random. Seemed like the producers were making it up as they went along. Like Lost.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
YES!!! That's a Bond song! That has to be a theme song for a future movie, or at least on an official soundtrack!

captcha: I can do this!
Well, not nearly as good as gavin can.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Akalabeth said:
Hmmn . . I like it, but the bond sounds don't seem to quite get there. Though I suppose it's a thin line between imitation and infringement. Maybe I'll like it more after I give it a few more listens.
Yeah I couldn't just rip off the melodies wholesale, that would cause a copyright issue (and to be honest, an ethical one too, it would be kinda dickish)

maxmanrules

Mar 30, 2011
Oho, I see your little Bond melody there!
Another great song Mr Dunne, can't wait for the next one.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
TimeLord said:
My only criticism is that the opening to the video should have had Gavin walk on in a suit and turn his guitar at the audience Bond style :D
That would have been awesome! :D

OT: Great song, feels like it would be a great alt song for "Skyfall" during the opening credits. Can't wait to see what you do next!

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Akalabeth said:
the bond sounds don't seem to quite get there.
I like those parts, but they do seem... weird (not bad though). idk I keep expecting to hear the bond music, but then it's something different. I mean I'm glad it is different because it would just be copying otherwise, but... idk

psychology's messing with me I guess XD

xplosive59 said:
Captcha: Ear Candy

That is a good way of describing Gav's music actually :)
Ear steak good sir! Ear steak! This is high quality stuff here :)

OT: I don't really have much to say about this one other than I like it. I will say that we need to get you actually doing music for the movies though. This song is as good if not better than Adele's. Unfortunately my pull in the industry is... limited. So I probably won't be very much help :(

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Akalabeth said:
Well, what I mean is not that I want classic bond sounds. Obviously he cannot do that. But he has um, what is it the violin? Or something that does the sharp sounds? It's mostly bond-like but seems to be it could be pushed a bit more without infringing.

But the song's pretty good. I thought a Halo 4 song was coming up from what I read on facebook, maybe I was dead wrong.
I guess it could be closer... I'm not sure that would make it better though. I'd still be expecting one thing then getting another in the melody... it's jarring? I don't know. I'll get used to it. The song is very good so that's all that matters.

I was hoping he was going to do a Halo song, but didn't he say he wouldn't (I don't remember the details)

@Gav: Didn't you?

EDIT: Saw the Halo song you just posted on youtube... It was awesome :)

The actual game, however, I have mixed feelings on :/

EDIT 2: Posted in Relevant thread.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
The cost of survival is losing your edge? Isn't one of Bonds best traits to be calm and collected in every situation? Or am I misunderstanding this?

Yumi_and_Erea

Nov 11, 2009
Long time fan, first time commenting on one of these.

I'm honestly a little conflicted on this one. A lot of the song works amazingly well: the main hook with the Bond guitar, the vocals in the verses, the lyrics, it's all a) very reminiscent of Bond music in general and Skyfall in particular and b) perfectly awesome in its own right.

And yet, somehow the chorus doesn't sit very well with me. Not the lyrics, those are fine. But somehow the actual music in the chorus seems less unique and Bond-ish than the rest of the song. I can hear all the different layers at work so I know there's more to it than just this, but somehow the chorus comes across as just three voices doing vocals with some vague strings in the background.

That probably sounded a lot more snarky and unpleasant than I actually feel and I do apologize for that. Let me clarify: I like the song overall. It's Bond through and through, has a great intro, and the vocals on the verses are some of the best I've heard from you since Sweet L.A.. It just seems like the chorus wandered in here from a different (not necessarily bad) song. That's it, I think. The chorus doesn't quite gel with the rest of the song for me. Maybe it's how the strings become more prominent there and the bass less so. I'm not entirely sure.

In summary: I liked it, and it really fit the movie, but the chorus didn't quite fit in with the rest of the song.

Either that, or I'm just spoiled rotten with how good the themesong to Skyfall was.

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
I have to say, the instrumentals were fantastic. I could really feel the Bond essence in them and you did a fantastic job with them.

It feels like, however, that your voice doesn't quite fit with the song. Don't get me wrong; you have a fantastic singing voice. It just doesn't seem to fit with the song. It's really hard for me to describe so take what I say with a grain of salt but, for a song about a spy, your voice doesn't seem to be "smooth" for the role.

Yeah, I suck at this. Sorry.

IMAGinES

Jun 1, 2009
Haven't seen Skyfall yet but my wife suggested I listen to Adele's theme after I heard this.

I think I prefer this one... :)

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Very nice work there! You captured the feel of a bond song excellently; the musical style, the lyrics, everything. Speaking of the lyrics, you did an excellent job of capturing the story arc of Craig's Bond. Seriously awesome song. Can't wait to buy it. WHY MUST I HAVE NO SPENDING MONEY LEFT. Seriously, literally have 13p to my name.
Once again, Gav, fantastic work. :D