Miracle of Sound: You Died (Dark Souls)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
You Died (Dark Souls)

You pause to catch your breath and die another gruesome death.

Watch Video

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
After watching the commentary on Youtube, I was just kind of expecting three minutes of crying. Although I'm quite content with what we did get. ;)

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
That video in the intro sequence really reminded me of this cover...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_74Mwrnj4DKo/STVSDQhuheI/AAAAAAAAAQI/DaRNcKZWPTo/s400/the+fathomless+mastery.jpg

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
I'm pleasantly surprised. I thought you would only keep the style to the intro, and then switch over to drums'n'guitars like you usually do (even though that also works at times of course.)

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Not sure about this song if I'm honest. Maybe it's because I've never played Dark Souls, but I just don't think it flowed very well. It jumped from upbeat chorus bits which I liked to slow lines that I thought dragged along and I didn't think it worked well. The lyrics were good and the music itself was very dark and foreboding. I just didn't think it gelled well together.

Sorry Gav, not one of your best for me :(
Good thing you released Nord Mead today though! :D

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I really love the way you sang this song, especially the "YOU DIED" parts. I felt like I was being mocked which I exactly how I feel every time I die in Dark Souls. You really managed to capture that feeling of utter despair I get sometimes too. It's catchy as well, how are you doing this?

phoenixbeast

Apr 14, 2009
Intro was a bit long, but it sets the mood so I can deal with it (and probably learn to enjoy it)...Once the lyrics come in though, it becomes really catchy and I love it...Really moves right along, but keeps the mood...Loving what you've been doing with the instruments now...Another great one and purchased in 2 weeks when it shows up on Bandcamp!

Edit: And now that I've listened to it a few times the intro has definitely grown on me...The abrupt ending almost makes it seem like a rage quit (which while it may or may not have been on purpose is AWESOME)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
TimeLord said:
Not sure about this song if I'm honest. Maybe it's because I've never played Dark Souls, but I just don't think it flowed very well. D
That's the whole point - Dark Souls doesn't flow. It stops and starts and stops and starts and sends you bouncing back and forth between a slow, painful trudge and feeling elated.

Forst1999

Mar 29, 2011
Liked it and i haven't even played the game. Like "Joker's Song" it has a Danny Elfman vibe to it.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
TimeLord said:
Not sure about this song if I'm honest. Maybe it's because I've never played Dark Souls, but I just don't think it flowed very well. D
That's the whole point - Dark Souls doesn't flow. It stops and starts and stops and starts and sends you bouncing back and forth between a slow, painful trudge and feeling elated.
Well as I said, never played the game. So I don't think the gameplay translated well into musical form, sorry :(

the big fluffeh

Nov 7, 2011
I'm sorry, but all i could think about was:

I had a cat named Snowball...
She died!
She died!
Mom said she was sleeping...
She lied!
She lied!
Why oh why is my cat dead?
Couldn't that Chrysler hit me instead?

Source: http://vimeo.com/3019157

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Did anyone else read the title in the voice of Dooley from King of the Hill. You know, the little redheaded kid who only ever says two or three words at a time?

Anyway, pretty good one Gav. I've never played Dark, but I have played Demon's so I got a nice chuckle out of this one.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
I had some unreasonably high expectations going into this song so I can't say this is one of my favorites, but I was certainly not disappointed in the least. I think you captured the feel of the game pretty perfectly. I wasn't to0 enthusiastic about the beginning "YOU DIED" section because it just seemed a bit too funny to me compared to the rest of the song. BUT, it definitely fits with the how the game is, so I can't call that a fault.

Another thought, as much as I like Dark Souls as a whole(which is a lot), I think it's a shame that pretty much all the focus is on its difficulty when the story is actually fairly deep and interesting, if a bit too minimalist and purposely ambiguous.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Haven't played Dark Souls, but I love how reminiscent the musical style is of old-school RPGs, brings back memories of getting utterly lost (and repeatedly slaughtered) in the dungeons of High Rock and Hammerfell.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
still have to play dark souls (high on my priority list) but i expected a totally different tone with this song. i expected more of a slow paced song with emphasis on being alone and the atmosphere of the game.

but you said you based it more on the flow of game play which is a interesting choice, but i don't know. i had the feeling i was listening to a bad guy Disney song, which is not something negative, but i didn't expected it. maybe it has to grow on me.