Miracle's Whip - ALAN WAKE

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Miracle's Whip - Alan Wake

This review does not contain any spoilers, let me know if you like the new format!

Last night at a little past midnight I got a phone call from a friend who had been playing Alan Wake. He was giggling deliriously about it with a mix of nervous excitement and giddy fear. As horror/thriller games go, there's no bigger compliment than getting that reaction, is there? Last time I remember feeling that way was after the notorious bear chase in Condemned 2, and I'll never forget the way it made me feel. Alan Wake gave me that primal panic 3 times in the first hour (although admittedly one of those times was due to my Evil Dead-inspired fear of deer heads). Max Payne developers Remedy spent 5 years working on this game, so let's find out if it was worth the wait...

Story

Now I'm trying to keep this review spoiler free, so the less said about the story the better. There's an aura of David Lynch meets Stephen King about Alan Wake. Imagine The Shining meets Twin Peaks with some Resi 4 thrown in and you'll get a good idea of the game's tone and feel. It is separated into six episodes which all end on cliffhangers. It's a great trick that gives the feel of a TV serial, making you crave the next segment to find out what happens. Alan is a famous pulp-thriller writer who during a bout of severe writer's block takes a vacation with his wife Alice in the little lakeside town of Bright Falls. The idyllic surroundings seem to be the perfect place to relax and forget about his high octane lifestyle for a while, but of course we all know it's going to go horribly wrong right from the first few scenes. Soon Alan is desperately battling his way through a 'dark presence' and watching his whole life go to hell.

Alan was warned against the curry in Bright Falls, but had not listened

That's all the story I'm going to give away, because it is the game's strongest point and is amazing. It twists, turns, messes with your head, defies your expectations and every time you think it's getting predictable it will pull a U-Turn and sneer in your face for being so smart assed. There are numerous fourth wall breaking moments which surpass even Bioshock in the 'I can't believe they just did that!' stakes, along with some visual and verbal references to horror movies. Little touches make it special... for example just when you start tutting about all the seemingly convenient ammo and torch batteries lying around the countryside, the game gives you a totally valid explanation for this seemingly silly gaming convention. It is also surprisingly one of the funniest games I've played, with Wake's manager Barry providing some real belly laughs in a later chapter where he accompanies you on a mission. Alan is a refreshingly flawed, sympathetic and real character who is well acted.

Visual Presentation

The visuals in Alan Wake have gotten a lot of attention due to the ground-breaking lighting engine. Before you all scream 'graphics whore!', let me respond in advance by pointing out that no horror game would be as effective without creating a believable atmosphere. Can you imagine Silent Hill without it's rusty, dried blood hues and hellish shadowy halls? I certainly can't. The funny thing is, the visuals in Alan Wake are a mixed bag. The dynamic lighting effects are stunning, which is a good thing because most of the game is spent wondering through the dark using your torch to both fight (more on that later) and navigate. Shadows dance back and forth over flora and buildings making you jump at dark shapes and things you thought you might have seen. The environment is used really well, with heavy machinery and everyday items all becoming menacing threats that keep you constantly in fear of the next attack.

See those birds? You're going to hate them so much 8 hours into this game.

It's not all good though. Get close to almost anything in the game and you will see jagged, pixelated textures. It's not a big deal, but can be jarring in the daylight scenes when you see pixels the size of Alan's hands on the building he's walking past. My guess is that this was due to a limitation on the hardware's part. I can't imagine my old 360 managing to produce all those amazing lighting effects and maintain high resolutions on everything. Shortcut to red rings, I would think. Again, it's a small niggle but can sometimes break the mood. I did see a fair bit of screen tear too, and the frame rate suffers during some set pieces and cut-scenes.

A bigger problem is that the game contains some of the worst lip-synching of this generation. You'll grimace when you see the first scene between Alan and Alice, her mouth staying creepily half open while she talks. In such a story/cutscene heavy game, it's a terrible pity that such a huge immersion breaker was allowed to slip through. Some of Alan's animations are broken too. Jump onto the edge of any object or environment and watch Alan jerk and glitch around before slipping off and indulging in some physic-defying hilarity. Character models are okay, nothing special, and NPCs have some weird animations.

Ignore the little niggles though, and you will find a great looking game. Some of the vistas, especially later on, had me literally stopping to stare at them for minutes at a time due to their eerie, ghostly beauty. One level centered around a large dam had me slack jawed at the sheer scale and artistry on show. All in all, a unique and fascinating game visually.

Sound

A game like this has two jobs: To scare you and to move you. The sound helps both along very well in Alan Wake. Voice acting is mostly great and the sound design is suitably creepy, full of whispers, distant howls and various little tricks to make you poop your geekpants. The score is a nice mix of melancholy and tense, and the licensed music is inspired. There is also an original song which is used as part of the story, and while not a joke song, I can tell you it's awesome and easily the best video-game song since Still Alive.

Alan enjoyed hanging around bookshops looking at his own picture on the back of his books

Gameplay

This is a game of two halves. There are daytime and night-time segments which both have their own unique play-style. Day is used to explore and interact with the citizens of Bright Falls, talking and investigating. When night falls it's time for the action. The Dark Presence possesses the bodies of the locals, turning them into crazed homicidal animals. Alan must use light to strip away their shadow shields before he can finish them off with conventional firearms. It all works very well, the torch being your 'reticule', which also dictates where your gun will aim. You can use lanterns, flare guns, flash-bangs and various guns to fight off the horde and all serve their own purpose. Watching the slow mo flare gun animation explode into a dazzling shower of sparks and chaos is always an eyegasm. It feels intuitive and fluid and is fun to use for the most part. You will also be attacked by 'poltergeist' objects, which I won't ruin for you, but they're always inventive and fun to destroy.

Unfortunately the night-time game-play is flawed. Far too often you will be subjected to frustrating, cheap attacks by enemies who spawn behind you. It is infuriating when your first clue as to an enemy's existence is getting combo attacked in the back of the head by their meat cleaver. Some sections have infinite enemy respawns, which makes exploring the more open areas a pain in the ass. Platforming sections are glitchy and broken, and you will often fall to your death or stumble into a trap when you felt it wasn't your fault. And don't start me on the birds... I groaned out loud every time I had to fight another flock of cheap, instantly appearing ravens that gang raped my face as I flashed my torch all over the place trying to predict where they'd come from next. Awful, really awful. Puzzles are pathetically, offensively easy. Go here... press flashing green button...win. I really can't imagine why they even bothered to include them, apart from providing another excuse to ambush you with nasties every now and again.

As Alan approached the lighthouse, he could not help but ponder why his work was filled with so many phallic MacGuffins

The first half of the game also contains far too much aimless wandering through identikit copy-pasted woods getting ambushed over and over by annoying enemies. It gets boring during the third act. Thankfully the game picks up from the fourth chapter, becoming more of a relentless, fast-paced action-horror for the remainder, and it's awesome. One later level set on a farm contains two of the best gaming set pieces of the year, both of which are fist pumping, cheer out loud with surprise and joy moments... you will never see them coming or guess what they are and that's what makes them so special. There are some amazing setpieces, including superb chase sequences as the world goes mad and falls apart around you. These are the game's best moments and are wonderfully cinematic, showing off the impressive lighting engine at its peak, along with some clever environmental physics work.

Missions with friendly NPCs tagging along are... shock horror... great. Pay attention devs, this is how you program friendly AI. They are invincible, never block your shots or make you save their stupid asses, and rarely steal your kills. The game has the best friendly AI since Alyx Vance.

Overall Opinion

I've rarely had a game hit such highs and frustrate me in such equal measures. But to miss Alan Wake would be to miss out on probably the best story of the year, an incredible atmosphere and an experience that will scare the pants off you. If you enjoyed Resident Evil 4 or Silent Hill and can get over the repetitive and sometimes frustrating combat and technical flaws, you will enjoy this game thoroughly.

Jack Nicholson in the Shining:

-Engrossing, original and emotional story
-Gorgeous lighting engine
-Very funny
-Very scary
-Break-neck, action packed second half
-Best game song since Portal
-Deer heads are creepy

Paris Hilton in House of Wax:

-Frustrating cheap deaths and enemy attacks
-Crappy, glitchy jumping physics
-Pixelated textures
-Repetitive, dull first half
-Those damn birds

Verdict:

Buy if you loved Silent Hill and Resi 4, rent if you just want to see the story.​

Other Miracle's Whip reviews:

Ico (review wars joint winner)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.193788-Miracles-Whip-ICO-Review-Wars-joint-winning-review

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.189775-Miracles-Whip-Battlefield-Bad-Company-2

Bioshock 2
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.175856-Miracles-Whip-Bioshock-2#5002435

Batman: Arkham Asylum
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.180125-Miracles-Whip-Batman-Arkham-Asylum#5273691

Gamer
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.182897-Miracles-Whip-Gamer

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Furburt said:
Well, sounds interesting enough, something that I might like.

Which is why I'm so pissed off that it's been canceled for PC. Grrr and fucking grrr some more.
One day, maybe.

I like the new reviewing style, very readable indeed. I'm glad you kept the funny captions.
Yeah that really sucks. It would have looked even better on PC and I can't fathom why they would make it an exclusive. I wonder if it will come out later?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Bought the limited edition at the same time as Red Dead.

Guess which game's sitting on the shelf?

Red Dead.

Guess which game I think is BETTER than Silent Hill, even better than 2?

Alan Wake.

Guess which game I can't wait to try on Nightmare mode?

Alan Wake.

Guess when the free DLC is out?

July 28th...

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
Compared to your Review Wars entry, I'd say that this is a definitive step back, in terms of formatting. My only tangible problem with your entry was that there was awkward transitioning between ideas, and this only serves to make that more obvious. I've always preached a flowing piece over sectioned, broken up reviews -- for lots of reasons. It breaks up the flow, it can be pretty unappealing aesthetically, but most of all, I just prefer reading a non-sectioned article.

If you like the style, and if it seems to get a positive response from others, hey, go for it. I just don't see a good reason for using them. Sub-headings are usually a crutch for beginning reviewers, just so they can get all of their ideas on paper. Clearly, you are not a beginning reviewer. In fact, this is a really good review. It references "us" too much for my taste, but the writing is easy to get through, and tells us a lot about Alan Wake. I'm pretty sold on it, at this point. There was some discussion, in my head, about whether to go after Alan Wake or Red Dead Redemption, but I guess that's what renting is for, right? Makes sense to me.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
mjhhiv said:
Compared to your Review Wars entry, I'd say that this is a definitive step back, in terms of formatting. My only tangible problem with your entry was that there was awkward transitioning between ideas, and this only serves to make that more obvious. I've always preached a flowing piece over sectioned, broken up reviews -- for lots of reasons. It breaks up the flow, it can be pretty unappealing aesthetically, but most of all, I just prefer reading a non-sectioned article.

If you like the style, and if it seems to get a positive response from others, hey, go for it. I just don't see a good reason for using them. Sub-headings are usually a crutch for beginning reviewers, just so they can get all of their ideas on paper. Clearly, you are not a beginning reviewer. In fact, this is a really good review. It references "us" too much for my taste, but the writing is easy to get through, and tells us a lot about Alan Wake. I'm pretty sold on it, at this point. There was some discussion, in my head, about whether to go after Alan Wake or Red Dead Redemption, but I guess that's what renting is for, right? Makes sense to me.
Cheers for the honest comments. I've been toying with the idea of getting rid of the seperate segments for a while now, maybe for the next one I'll try it out and see if it flows better.

And believe me, I am definately a beginning reviewer... I've only ever done 7 in my life!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Bought the limited edition at the same time as Red Dead.

Guess which game's sitting on the shelf?

Red Dead.

Guess which game I think is BETTER than Silent Hill, even better than 2?

Alan Wake.

Guess which game I can't wait to try on Nightmare mode?

Alan Wake.

Guess when the free DLC is out?

July 28th...
There's DLC?? It's free?

Any details on it? Surely it's not going to continue the story?

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
A nicely written review, Miracle. Liking the new format as well.
I have can see no major niggles with anything to do with spelling or grammar, except one missed out word.
it's a terrible pity that such a huge immersion breaker was allowed slip through.
I think a 'to' should be in there somewhere. But apart from that, no obviously glaring mistakes.

As for whether or not I'm going to buy this game, I'm not sure yet. You really sell it to me on the story but the infinite enemy respawn and cheap attacks by flocks of birds sounds like something that will make me rage and snap the controller. Add into that I have little money, need to buy a new phone as my one has a massive crack on the screen yet still works, want to get RDR and save up for New Vegas, all while unemployed, it looks like I may have to wait for a bit.

It's also a single player only game, yes?

cloudwolf616

Jul 22, 2009
Country
Ireland
I do not giggle!!!
Seriously man when i rang u i was just in fresh pants fucking hella scary!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Sassafrass said:
A nicely written review, Miracle. Liking the new format as well.
I have can see no major niggles with anything to do with spelling or grammar, except one missed out word.
it's a terrible pity that such a huge immersion breaker was allowed slip through.
I think a 'to' should be in there somewhere. But apart from that, no obviously glaring mistakes.

As for whether or not I'm going to buy this game, I'm not sure yet. You really sell it to me on the story but the infinite enemy respawn and cheap attacks by flocks of birds sounds like something that will make me rage and snap the controller. Add into that I have little money, need to buy a new phone as my one has a massive crack on the screen yet still works, want to get RDR and save up for New Vegas, all while unemployed, it looks like I may have to wait for a bit.

Yep. Single player only.

Which means that with all the reasons you listed I would say rent it. As the story is the most important part, one playthrough will be enough to satisfy you and RDR will give you much more playtime for your cash.

Fixed that error too!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Cloudwolf616 said:
I do not giggle!!!
Seriously man when i rang u i was just in fresh pants fucking hella scary!
You do giggle, ask anyone who's ever played a private game of MW2 on Rust with you and they'll agree :D

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
MiracleOfSound said:
Yep. Single player only.

Which means that with all the reasons you listed I would say rent it. As the story is the most important part, one playthrough will be enough to satisfy you and RDR will give you much more playtime for your cash.

Fixed that error too!
I shall have to rent it then. I'm slowly beginning to wonder if looking for games with split-screen co-op/death-match is worth looking for. Anyway, that is a rant for another time.

I shall have to trade in a shit ton of stuff for RDR. Splinter Cell: Conviction should be worth about £25, hopefully. Will you be reviewing RDR in the future?

EDIT: Woo! I ballsed up that quote. >< Now fix'd.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Sassafrass said:
MiracleOfSound said:

Yep. Single player only.

Fixed that error too!
I shall have to rent it then. I'm slowly beginning to wonder if looking for games with split-screen co-op/death-match is worth looking for. Anyway, that is a rant for another time.

I shall have to trade in a shit ton of stuff for RDR. Splinter Cell: Conviction should be worth about £25, hopefully. Will you be reviewing RDR in the future?
Probably, but not for a while. With open world, huge games like that I would find it hard to give a cemented opinion after just a few days playing... I'll do my best though!

I too have been searching for good co-op or split-screen games and can't find any. My brother loves gaming but hates shooters and there just aren't any games on the 360 we can play together. It sucks.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
That was a good read, Miracle. Well worth my five minutes.
As far as content goes, I can't really judge reviews too well...I tend to think most of the reviews I read here are decent.
But this was nice. You seemed to cover everything you had in mind about the game without going into five and a half tons of detail.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
MiracleOfSound said:
Probably, but not for a while. With open world, huge games like that I would find it hard to give a cemented opinion after just a few days playing... I'll do my best though!

I too have been searching for good co-op or split-screen games and can't find any. My brother loves gaming but hates shooters and there just aren't any games on the 360 we can play together. It sucks.
Excellent. I shall look forward to the PM notifying me. :)

Yeah, the best someone in GAME could come up with when I asked him was a super bike game. And that was after ten minutes of umming and ahhing. It's annoying as nearly all my MP games are shooters, with just a different style of playing. But the endless 'shooting stuff in face' is still the same in the end, at least to me. As for games you and your bro can play, how about Viva Pinata? Has a co-op mode, of sorts, and it's quite clever and makes you think, despite the 3+ age rating on the front. Plus, it's really cute. And I like cute things.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Neonbob said:
That was a good read, Miracle. Well worth my five minutes.
As far as content goes, I can't really judge reviews too well...I tend to think most of the reviews I read here are decent.
But this was nice. You seemed to cover everything you had in mind about the game without going into five and a half tons of detail.
Thanks bud, I'm actually always paranoid about making the reviews too long... with games like this there's just so much to talk about! I actually left out a bunch of stuff I wanted to say because it would have become waffle.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Nice review! I always like reading your reviews because I feel a bit like I'm asking a buddy what he thinks of a game. You get right to the point and never fail to mention the bad with the good.

I think you could lose the section headings, or keep them. It doesn't bother me, but I noticed someone said they didn't care for them. I think your review would work either way, as it is well written.

But I would keep the "Overall Opinion" part separate, simply because some people like to skip right to that to see what you might think before reading the whole review. Some people really like that "score" aspect of a review, and they will appreciate you separating your conclusion.

And admit it, It isn't just Alan Wake who likes to look at his picture in book stores, when you sell your first CDs you will enjoy hanging out in music stores looking at those little jewel cases with your name on them. ;)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Sassafrass said:
MiracleOfSound said:

Excellent. I shall look forward to the PM notifying me. :)

Yeah, the best someone in GAME could come up with when I asked him was a super bike game. And that was after ten minutes of umming and ahhing. It's annoying as nearly all my MP games are shooters, with just a different style of playing. But the endless 'shooting stuff in face' is still the same in the end, at least to me. As for games you and your bro can play, how about Viva Pinata? Has a co-op mode, of sorts, and it's quite clever and makes you think, despite the 3+ age rating on the front. Plus, it's really cute. And I like cute things.
Never thought of that! Must get the demo and try it.

We tried Kingdom for Keflings and it was ok, but not so engaging. Splosion man looks fun though!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
meganmeave said:
Nice review! I always like reading your reviews because I feel a bit like I'm asking a buddy what he thinks of a game. You get right to the point and never fail to mention the bad with the good.

I think you could lose the section headings, or keep them. It doesn't bother me, but I noticed someone said they didn't care for them. I think your review would work either way, as it is well written.

But I would keep the "Overall Opinion" part separate, simply because some people like to skip right to that to see what you might think before reading the whole review. Some people really like that "score" aspect of a review, and they will appreciate you separating your conclusion.

And admit it, It isn't just Alan Wake who likes to look at his picture in book stores, when you sell your first CDs you will enjoy hanging out in music stores looking at those little jewel cases with your name on them. ;)
Hell yeah! I'll be going in going 'that's me! Love me!'

Reminds me of the first episode of Californication actually.

I agree, no matter what format I go into I will keep that final segment, as overall opinion is important.