Miracle's Whip- Battlefield: Bad Company 2

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
Here it is guys, every one's been nagging me to review this game and I'm glad they did because I finally got it and it's awesome! Enjoy :)

Miracle's Whip - Battlefield: Bad Company 2



Imagine for a moment you're stuck in a traffic jam on a hot day. Petrol fumes and stale sweat attack your nostrils. Choking smoke and dead air clog your lungs. Your ears are deafened by a cacophonous din of car horns and people yelling abuse. Your head pounds and aches and you wonder why you subject yourself to this stress on your way home every day.

Now imagine finding a side road. You follow it and find that leads out into a huge, lush expanse of invigorating, fresh countryside.The cool breeze hits your face and suddenly you wonder what you were doing stuck in that crowded, painful cluster-fuck for so long when this epic, life-affirming landscape was there all along.

In case you haven't guessed the analogy yet, I'm getting the big question out of the way first. Yes, BFBC2 is better than that other shooter. It's a huge breath of fresh air. To be honest, the comparisons between the two are lazy and smack of Blur v Oasis style publicity whoring. But enough about that, this review is about one game, not two. So what makes Dice's game so special? Read on...


'What do you mean I'm meant to be spotting for the team? I'm a 1337 Sniper with a 6.1 K:D! (gets kicked from game)

Campaign/Story

Bad Company centers around 4 eccentric weirdos who were apparently too naughty for the real army. As punishment (or reward, in their case) they are sent to BC, the military equivalent of being told to stand in the corner with a dunce's cap (except this dunce's cap fires big ass rockets and blows the corner into smithereens... but I'll get back to that). The first game was a jolly 3 Kings type story about a hunt for gold, while this is a slightly more serious affair, centering around a WW2 super-weapon that sounds like the tripods from War of the Worlds.

Basically... it's a load of nonsense. But it's good, clean, fun with no pretensions to being anything other than some light hearted context for all the violence and mayhem. Your squad-mates have each got their own unique, likable personalities and listening in to their chats is a hoot as they reference everything from Indiana Jones to Bush to a certain other shooter.

The campaign is a fair length, and nicely challenging on first playthrough as enemies are usually well camouflaged (or invisible behind all that damn war-dust) and are pretty damn good at killing you. Your squad-mates couldn't hit a T-Rex at 5 yards, but it's fine because they don't hinder you by dying or blocking your shots. It just makes you feel like a bigger bad-ass than them.

The opening chapter is very clever, and ranks up there with Bioshock and ME2 for great, immersive opening sequences. Things get a little slow in the middle, there are some horrid vehicle sections but all in all it's an enjoyable and fun campaign that really picks up again for the last 2 hours.


Sergeant RedCap never quite got over being molested by palm trees as a child.


Visual Presentation

The graphics engine is very impressive, with some huge expansive levels and vistas. The draw distance is massive, both in the campaign and multiplayer. There are a lot of epic set-pieces in the single player mode, made all the more exciting by the amazing physics engine. Explosions send dust and debris flying everywhere. You'll find yourself in some stunning locations like lush jungles, huge burning cities and satellite towers on mountain peaks.The only real problem with the visuals is that sometimes the environmental and dust effects can obscure your view. But hey... that's war for you.

Character models are detailed and well animated. Building interiors suffer from some low-resolution textures and an eerie lack of furnishings but you'll be too busy gleefully blowing them apart to take any notice.

Sound

This is by far the best sounding shooter out there. The sound team deserve every award in gaming for their work. The entire mix has been perfectly crafted and compressed to a level that makes everything sound massive. Explosions are deafening, reverberating through the speakers to the point where they can be felt on the Richter scale. Your main Assault Rifle kicks like a death metal double bass drum, sending the perfect mix of low frequency waves and high end rattle into your eardrums in an orgasmic, musical ear-assault. Switch the sound setting to 'War Tapes', put on a pair of good headphones and prepare to be amazed.

The score is pretty dull, though you can barely hear it most of the time under all the glorious chaos.


'Dude... you gotta hear this man... my gun sounds like Slipknot!'


Gameplay

Playing Bad Company 2 is fun, intuitive and rewarding. To me the campaign felt (and at times, looked) like a cross between F.E.A.R. 2 and Red Faction: Guerrilla, but better than both.

Like in the first game, 80% of the cover is destructible, which makes the game tactical and keeps you constantly changing your battle plan. It's fantastic. The shooting mechanics are a huge improvement on the first game, feeling more fluid and precise. It's not as fluid as COD, but it works well because it feels ten times more realistic. You feel like a rough, tough soldier as opposed to a floating gun.

Multiplayer is a dream. It's all about helping your team to win, so good teamwork is essential. You won't get very far in BC2 running around thinking your god's gift to K:D ratios. This means that the community is friendly and work well together, Your squad-mate isn't going to question your sexuality or your mother's bedroom technique when you've just saved his ass again with a med-pack, or resupplied his empty SMG. In almost every match I've played I've made a new buddy or two and had a great time engaging in teamwork to win. It is almost never frustrating, and when it is, it's because you knew you messed up yourself.


'Hey camper... stick this up your legitimate strategy.'

Classes are well balanced for the most part, (though the medic does seem to be a tiny bit overpowered when equipped with an M60 LMG). Assault is your basic grunt, restocking squad ammo. Engineer has rockets and blows up that tank that's been pestering you for the last five minutes. Medic heals (duh) and revives team-mates with the awesomely fun defibrillators, which can also be used to get hilariously shocking kills on your enemies. Recon is a misunderstood class, however. Lots of players don't seem to grasp the concept that no... you are not a bloody sniper. Your job is to spot for your team, point out enemies and take the odd headshot if the opportunity arises.

You get points for using your class specific skills, so I was able to place first overall in a game despite getting only 3 kills. I got my points from healing and reviving my squad. Very rewarding. Unlike in the campaign, vehicles are fun and useful to use and even more fun to explode into a thousand burning pieces of scrap metal.

The spawn system is inspired. You can either spawn back at your base or pick a squad member to arrive next to. It doesn't utterly eliminate spawn killing but it is the best system out there.

Lag seems to be a non issue from what I've seen. My bullets never magically passed through enemies, and I never went teleporting around the map like a broken Tardis.

Oh, and get this... players actually go for the objectives in the objective based games! Crazy, huh?

In fact, the only time this game caused me rage was when I accidentally hit the back button while typing the Escapist's code into my picture captions and lost the last half hour of work...

My one complaint is that it takes forever to level up and unlock any perks, or 'Specs'. New players are at a severe disadvantage to level 15 teams firing mortars on them and using red dot sights. But persevere and the game gets easier.

EDIT:

Having played for another few days, I have noticed the multiplayer game does have some hit detection issues. I thought I was imagining it but having seen a bunch of video evidence on Youtube I know now it is the case. This seems to be worse after the recent patch but will hopefully be resolved soon enough.

Overall Opinion:

I can honestly say, as a Battlefield virgin and with no bias, that this is the best multiplayer shooter I have played. It's like every frustration I've had with other shooters has been cut out and thrown away to leave an exciting, tactical, wonderfully immersive and compelling experience. The campaign is flawed but a fun ride, and at times it is sublime.

Verdict:

Buy (Rent if you just want it for single player)

Other Miracle's Whip reviews:

Bioshock 2
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.175856-Miracles-Whip-Bioshock-2#5002435

Batman: Arkham Asylum
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.180125-Miracles-Whip-Batman-Arkham-Asylum#5273691

Gamer
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.182897-Miracles-Whip-Gamer
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
I enjoyed this review! It was very funny in places, which is difficult to do in reviews.

I liked Bad Company 2 a lot more than I did MW2, but still, my favourite remains battlefield 2.

Anyway, it's not really realistic or arcadey enough for me. I like my shooters to either be totally ridiculous like Unreal Tournament 3, or incredibly realistic like Red Orchestra. Still, it was good.

Bring on the next review!
 

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
2,536
0
0
Nice review! I have a friend who keeps trying to get me into these (realistic military based shooters) games.

But your review makes it sound interesting. At the very least I'll know that if I get into the military shooter thing, to start with Bad Company and not MW2.

MiracleOfSound said:
In fact, the only time this game caused me rage was when I accidentally hit the back button while typing the Escapist's code into my picture captions and losing the last half hour of work...
I hate it when I do this. And it only happens when I've just typed a bunch. Never when I've just posted a sentence.
 

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,507
0
1
MiracleOfSound said:
...and I never went teleporting around the map like a broken Tardis.
OI!

Don't blame the TARDIS. It requires 6 pilots to fly properly.

Great review though. I love BC2 over pretty much any shooter out there (except Bioshock 2)
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
Furburt said:
I enjoyed this review! It was very funny in places, which is difficult to do in reviews.

I liked Bad Company 2 a lot more than I did MW2, but still, my favourite remains battlefield 2.

Anyway, it's not really realistic or arcadey enough for me. I like my shooters to either be totally ridiculous like Unreal Tournament 3, or incredibly realistic like Red Orchestra. Still, it was good.

Bring on the next review!
The next one will probably be my Review wars entry, which i'm not allowed to reveal till after the compettion! (oooooh mysterious... hehe)

Thank man, aprpreciate the kind words.

I must give BF2 a try if it's that good. My buddy who's actually in the army loves it.
 

RanD00M

New member
Oct 26, 2008
6,947
0
0
Good review.I really liked the SP for this game,but I din't have time when I played it to try the MP.The only problem with the SP is the fact that I was only 4 hours with it.Which is 4 times too short for taste.
 

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
9,145
0
0
You just convinced me that I want this game. Well done.

I'll miss Titan, though.
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
meganmeave said:
Nice review! I have a friend who keeps trying to get me into these (realistic military based shooters) games.

But your review makes it sound interesting. At the very least I'll know that if I get into the military shooter thing, to start with Bad Company and not MW2.

MiracleOfSound said:
In fact, the only time this game caused me rage was when I accidentally hit the back button while typing the Escapist's code into my picture captions and losing the last half hour of work...
I hate it when I do this. And it only happens when I've just typed a bunch. Never when I've just posted a sentence.
Yes, I almost punched a hole through the wall after that... my pillow got some serious violence and abuse...

If you're gonna try a military shooter this os probably the least frustrating one out there. If you're just looking for single player, MW2 has an awesome one too (in fact, I prefer MW2's campaign).
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
RanD00M said:
Good review.I really liked the SP for this game,but I din't have time when I played it to try the MP.The only problem with the SP is the fact that I was only 4 hours with it.Which is 4 times too short for taste.
4 hours? Really? Man, it took me at least 8. Though I do stop to admire the scenery a lot.
 

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
2,536
0
0
MiracleOfSound said:
If you're gonna try a military shooter this os probably the least frustrating one out there. If you're just looking for single player, MW2 has an awesome one too (in fact, I prefer MW2's campaign).
I watched a buddy of mine playing the Call of Duty(I think) campaign, where you are in a ghillie suit and crawling through the grass underneath enemy soldiers. It seemed really cool.

Maybe it's time for me to branch out from Halo and Gears.
 

lasersandbearsohno

New member
Nov 8, 2009
265
0
0
MiracleOfSound said:
Recon is a misunderstood class, however. Lots of players don't seem to grasp the concept that no... you are not a bloody sniper. Your job is to spot for your team, point out enemies and take the odd headshot if the opportunity arises.
Yeah...Im gonna have to disagree with you there. Until you level up considerably you don't have spotting equipment besides for your motion mines. In my personal experience, motion mine assists are few and far in between, because they are limited time use, and you have to be fairly close to use them. I think that you CAN sit back and just spot for your team, but just because the name says recon, doesn't mean you gotta sit there and wait for your team to do all the dirty work. I felt like the recon class was more for suppression of turrets, vehicles, and objective interferes. A combination of mortar strikes and good aim can really keep an enemy team from screwing with your goals if you have good backup. So in short, I do feel like recon is a 'bloody sniper', and powered up enough to hold its own in the field of battle. Great review overall, I just happened to play alot of recon and thought a friendly disagreement was in order :)
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
TimeLord said:
MiracleOfSound said:
...and I never went teleporting around the map like a broken Tardis.
OI!

Don't blame the TARDIS. It requires 6 pilots to fly properly.

Great review though. I love BC2 over pretty much any shooter out there (except Bioshock 2)
Indeed the Tardis is a feat of engineering genius...

Never seen a broken one. Would that be a Retardis?
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
dementedartist22 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Recon is a misunderstood class, however. Lots of players don't seem to grasp the concept that no... you are not a bloody sniper. Your job is to spot for your team, point out enemies and take the odd headshot if the opportunity arises.
Yeah...Im gonna have to disagree with you there. Until you level up considerably you don't have spotting equipment besides for your motion mines. In my personal experience, motion mine assists are few and far in between, because they are limited time use, and you have to be fairly close to use them. I think that you CAN sit back and just spot for your team, but just because the name says recon, doesn't mean you gotta sit there and wait for your team to do all the dirty work. I felt like the recon class was more for suppression of turrets, vehicles, and objective interferes. A combination of mortar strikes and good aim can really keep an enemy team from screwing with your goals if you have good backup. So in short, I do feel like recon is a 'bloody sniper', and powered up enough to hold its own in the field of battle. Great review overall, I just happened to play alot of recon and thought a friendly disagreement was in order :)
No problem, I see your point.

Spotting is easy even at the start though, just gotta hit that back button! The kind of player I'm referring to is the one who comes straight form COD land and thinks he's only there to get kills.

Basically, the dude in the picture caption!
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
meganmeave said:
MiracleOfSound said:
If you're gonna try a military shooter this os probably the least frustrating one out there. If you're just looking for single player, MW2 has an awesome one too (in fact, I prefer MW2's campaign).
I watched a buddy of mine playing the Call of Duty(I think) campaign, where you are in a ghillie suit and crawling through the grass underneath enemy soldiers. It seemed really cool.

Maybe it's time for me to branch out from Halo and Gears.
Ah yes, 'All Ghillied Up'

That was the most famous and popular mission in COD4, and it was a work of genius. That field scene was terrifying!
 

RanD00M

New member
Oct 26, 2008
6,947
0
0
MiracleOfSound said:
RanD00M said:
Good review.I really liked the SP for this game,but I din't have time when I played it to try the MP.The only problem with the SP is the fact that I was only 4 hours with it.Which is 4 times too short for taste.
4 hours? Really? Man, it took me at least 8. Though I do stop to admire the scenery a lot.
Well I saw it while playing just regularly.And it looked spectacular.But It only took me 4 hours to beat it and get done with it.Sure,I din't find all the special ammo guns,but I did find most of them.
 

Armored Prayer

New member
Mar 10, 2009
5,319
0
0
Why haven't I tried this game yet? Everybody tells me its better than MW2 but I get the felling their both different games. (except the weapons and modern setting)

Your review basically convince me to at least try this game out. Well done considering it hard to influence me like this.
 

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
17,776
0
0
Armored Prayer said:
Why haven't I tried this game yet? Everybody tells me its better than MW2 but I get the felling their both different games. (except the weapons and modern setting)

Your review basically convince me to at least try this game out. Well done considering it hard to influence me like this.
Thanks! :)

They are completely different games. They feel nothing alike in tone or play mechanics, it's all a bunch of BS about them being similar.
 

lasersandbearsohno

New member
Nov 8, 2009
265
0
0
MiracleOfSound said:
dementedartist22 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Recon is a misunderstood class, however. Lots of players don't seem to grasp the concept that no... you are not a bloody sniper. Your job is to spot for your team, point out enemies and take the odd headshot if the opportunity arises.
Yeah...Im gonna have to disagree with you there. Until you level up considerably you don't have spotting equipment besides for your motion mines. In my personal experience, motion mine assists are few and far in between, because they are limited time use, and you have to be fairly close to use them. I think that you CAN sit back and just spot for your team, but just because the name says recon, doesn't mean you gotta sit there and wait for your team to do all the dirty work. I felt like the recon class was more for suppression of turrets, vehicles, and objective interferes. A combination of mortar strikes and good aim can really keep an enemy team from screwing with your goals if you have good backup. So in short, I do feel like recon is a 'bloody sniper', and powered up enough to hold its own in the field of battle. Great review overall, I just happened to play alot of recon and thought a friendly disagreement was in order :)
No problem, I see your point.

Spotting is easy even at the start though, just gotta hit that back button! The kind of player I'm referring to is the one who comes straight form COD land and thinks he's only there to get kills.

Basically, the dude in the picture caption!
I think we have a point of agreement here hidden in all of it. I believe that the recon can and SHOULD be looking out for kills, but I also think that he needs to use his mortars and spotting to let his team advance. A sniper killing people in itself can be a suppressive force, so i think our common goal of team support can be found