Miracle's Whip - Bioshock 2

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Miracle's Whip: Bioshock 2

Welcome to my very first 'Miracle's Whip'.

Feel free to leave constructive criticism.

[img height= 200]http://thexboxdomain.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/bioshock_2.jpg[/img]​

When Bioshock arrived in 2008, it pleased many a gamer with its fourth-wall breaking twists, philosophical musings and its sub-aquatic art-deco dystopia.

It was not without its flaws, however, many complaining of the overly long fetch quests, enemy difficulty scaling and its final confrontation, which was about as much fun as a slap in the face with a dead kipper.

Have a new developer and a new protagonist done the wondrous city of Rapture justice? Well, yes, for the most part.

Story

The city is now in an even worse state of disrepair than it was back when Jack came to visit, and the drug addled human waste (or Splicers) have become even more jacked up on Adam, making them a far more formidable foe this time around.

[img height= 300]http://xbox360media.gamespy.com/xbox360/image/article/986/986695/bioshock-2-20090526054225702.jpg[/img]​
Big Daddy's suit allows him to channel his farts into his hands and light them in your face... ouch

There are new leaders rising to power in Rapture, and an elusive but always ominous character named Sophia Lamb takes over from Andrew Ryan as your unseen antagonist. There are also the Big Sisters, female versions of Big Daddy, but their origin and purpose is a mystery. You play a prototype Big Daddy who has awoken from a long, shall we say... absence and your goal is to re-unite with Eleanor, the little sister you are scientifically and emotionally bonded to.

To say any more about the story would be ruining it for you, suffice to say that it is very well told and has some intensely emotional moments.

Visual Presentation

It should come as no surprise that Rapture looks fantastic again. It's like the entire game was designed by a 1950s Caravaggio. The developers use dynamic lighting and tenebrism to make every corner feel like a threat, every ruined monument a gorgeous, eye catching focal point. The visual style oozes class, with Neon signs flickering on and off, eerie blue shrines reminding you that Lamb is watching, and the beautiful art deco theatres, restaurants and train stations crumbling into ruined, violent hellscapes.

So, eh, your ominous glowing uni-eye is nice, wanna go grab a coffee? No? You'd prefer to set me on fire and rip my face off? Damn... shot down again.

There are some underwater sections which look impressive too, with strange plants glowing in fantastic colours and various fishies popping along to have a look at you.

It's not perfect, however. There are some very low-res textures here and there, and some clunky looking items and furniture with, I hate to say it... big old jaggies. It wouldn't be so bad if the rest of the game didn't look fantastic, just be prepared now and again to be knocked out the immersion by some last-gen graphics.

Character models are a lot better than the awful, hideous monstrosities in the first game, but can still look a little unfinished and clumsy in parts.

Sound

The sound design is excellent for the most part. Voice acting is of a high standard throughout and really draws you into the stories of the crazy, tragic characters of Rapture. Lamb and Eleanor in particular have some excellent voice-work, and the little sisters will break your heart with their sad little voices.

There are some sound balance issues, however. Each gun has a very different volume level. The machine gun is barely audible and feels a tad unsatisfying because of it, while the shotgun just blows your damn ears off. There was also a truly horrible music bug, which I will discuss in a bit...

Gameplay

Gameplay is certainly a step up from the first game. Guns feel meatier, you can now use your plasmids and weapons simultaneously and the aiming mechanic feels more precise.

The focus is more on defensive gameplay this time, showcased by a new mechanic in which you defend a little sister from hordes of incoming crazies as she gathers you some ADAM.

You can harvest or save her as expected, with the rewards for each varying. You eventually get gifts from saving them so I honestly feel the good road is, in the long run, the better bet. Plus, how the hell could anyone kill them, I mean look at their little faces...

If you pressed 'X' here, I hate you.

There are a great variety of combat styles to pick from. Want to freeze your foe and shatter him with your electrocuting shotgun? You got it. Prefer to set a swarm of bees in his face, stand back and laugh at his misfortune before setting a whirlwind under him and throwing into the ceiling? No problem. Want to lay traps everywhere and fall off your chair with delight as they get mangled by trap rivets, mini turrets and hypnotised Big Daddies? Off you go.

And then there's the drill... my god is this weapon satisfying to use. Its charge attack works in a similar way to the biotic charge in Mass Effect 2 and it is just wonderfully violent and satisfying. You can choose to focus on the drill too, and this play style is very rewarding. Drill plus plasmids = spellsword build.

Tonics upgrade your abilities again, and can be used to make the (quite irritating) hacking minigame easier. Hacking gives you access to cheaper items and mechanical allies, as before.

Combat can become a mess sometimes though, most noticeably in large battles with a few enemies at once. The blur effect when you get shot is very annoying and causes confusion, and elemental effects can cause the frame rate to drop quite badly, which is pretty much unacceptable in a 2010 mainstream release.

Also, when a Big Daddy gets involved in a ruckus between you and splicers, it becomes utter chaos. Which can be fun, but is mostly just frustrating.

Big Sister battles are strategic and fun, but nothing to get too excited over.

Rapture's residents don't really do subtle, it's all about the hyperbole

I encountered no less than three game breaking bugs in my first playthrough. My left trigger and right stick both stopped working, forcing reloads, and on one level the screeching string crescendo music for a Big Sister's entrance got stuck on a loop all the way to the end of the level, which was utterly maddening and forced me to start the whole level again in order to experience it properly.

Multiplayer:

Competitive gaming gives me anal herpes. My Gold Account is happily inactive right now, and I don't plan on returning to the rage-inducing world of online anytime soon, so this review is focusing on the campaign.

Overall Opinion

I really enjoyed Bioshock 2. It was a little on the short side, but the ending I got was so moving and beautiful I didn't mind. Seriously... if you are a bit of a sap like me the 'good' ending of this game will make you cry like a baby, it's that stunning. I youtubed the bad ending, it's also pretty emotional.

Rapture isn't quite as mesmerising this time around, but that's only because nothing can compare to the first time you discover a new universe. This applies to every sequel ever made.

It's fun, it's pretty and it feels good. All in all, it has bettered the original in almost every way and whether or not you plan to get into the multiplayer, it's well worth getting for the campaign.

Take another trip along the great chain and lose yourself in Rapture.

Verdict:

Buy.

A side note- I have to thank my awesome girlfriend for buying me the game as a surprise, as I was broke and couldn't afford it. respect!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
"If you pressed 'X' here, I hate you."

As you might guess from my avatar. (EDIT: It was a little sister at the time)
I LOVE THE LITTLE SISTERS SO FUCKING MUCH!

I got the saviour achievment in my first play through.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Demented Teddy said:

As you might guess from my avatar.

Yeah I got that too, was a nice little surprise. I definately agonised over Alex the Great though...

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Pretty good review though your humor sometimes breaks the flow of the review; well placed humor is great but when it comes out of no where I had to stop and reread. I also have to point out that you do actually find out who are the big sisters and what is their purpose from the audio tapes.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Rednog said:
Pretty good review though your humor sometimes breaks the flow of the review; well placed humor is great but when it comes out of no where I had to stop and reread. I also have to point out that you do actually find out who are the big sisters and what is their purpose from the audio tapes.
Yep, I'm aware of that, I was describing the story as it exists at the beginning of the game, so as to avoid spoilers.

The humour was only there for the captions, but it's a fair remark nonetheless.

TheNamlessGuy

Jan 7, 2009
I applaud you sir!
[Applauds]

Two points:
1. There is a genetonic that makes it so plasmids nearly doesn't drain your EVE, but it limits your weapons to the Drill, the Research Camera and the Hack Tool.
That. Was. Awesome.

2. How. In. The. HELL can you have 6 First Aid Packs and 6 EVE Hypos?
I could only have 5...

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I likey much.

Easy to read, didn't require any backtracking and a good length. I award this review my personal stamp of Bruce Campbell.

This is the first time I've ever awarded this, so good for you!

As for Bioshock 2, I wasn't going to get it, but I might now. I'll wait until they patch it for PC first and the price drops.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Brad Shepard said:
nice review, really liked the humor, please do more
Thanks a mil :)

TheNamlessGuy said:
I applaud you sir!
[Applauds]

Two points:
1. There is a genetonic that makes it so plasmids nearly doesn't drain your EVE, but it limits your weapons to the Drill, the Research Camera and the Hack Tool.
That. Was. Awesome.

I could only have 5...
Thank you!

1. I should have pointed that out actually when I was describibg the spellsword build.

2. You can acquire tonics that raise your carrying capacity for each.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Furburt said:
I likey much.

Easy to read, didn't require any backtracking and a good length. I award this review my personal stamp of Bruce Campbell.

This is the first time I've ever awarded this, so good for you!

As for Bioshock 2, I wasn't going to get it, but I might now. I'll wait until they patch it for PC first and the price drops.
Wow... if Bruce likes it then I'm definately doing more!

TheNamlessGuy

Jan 7, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Thank you!

1. I should have pointed that out actually when I was describibg the spellsword build.

1. If I remember correctly, you get that near the end*, so it would be something of a spoiler, wouldn't it?

2. Oh...
Why didn't I find those?

Gil Alexander stage?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Thank you!

1. If I remember correctly, you get that near the end*, so it would be something of a spoiler, wouldn't it?

2. Oh...
Why didn't I find those?

Gil Alexander stage?
No, they were somewhere in the middle as far as I recall. In fact, I'm pretty certain I purchased them at a gatherer's garden!

TheNamlessGuy

Jan 7, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
No, they were somewhere in the middle as far as I recall. In fact, I'm pretty certain I purchased them at a gatherer's garden!
I do believe I found mine in the Gil Alexander stage.
You know, the part right before the stage, with the pool, a Little Sister vent and a "Experimental Shock Something"?
There's a locked door with a code you can open, and there's a corpse in there, as well as a Gene Tonic with that drill-EVE Hypo thing

Disaster Button

Feb 18, 2009
I agree with most of what you said but I always thought the Big Sister battles were amazing and really exciting, in that kind of OH SHIT OH SHIT I'm gonna die kind of way.. exhilirating would be the word I'm looking for.

The only real problem I've had is the music repeting bug but that only happened once, oh and another problem would be I can't play the damn thing now because my PC exploded.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the drill charge was satisfying, I was beginning to worry about my sanities.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
The Ammunition-Tonic you are talking about comes from researching alpha series.

(Didn't flag it as a spoiler, because the information can be taken from the games main menue)

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
I applaud you sir!
[Applauds]

Two points:
That. Was. Awesome.

I could only have 5...
i think its an ADAM upgrade or a tonic, since ive seen the max being 5 6 7 and 8

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Would ya mind going into more detail with the weapon variety?
Sorry, as a fan of the more basic FPS's I prefer a large library of instruments to rip people's organs out from varying distances and ranges so I need to know this before I make a decision on this game.

TheNamlessGuy

Jan 7, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
Sorry, as a fan of the more basic FPS's I prefer a large library of instruments to rip people's organs out from varying distances and ranges so I need to know this before I make a decision on this game.
There are 6 different weapons.
8 if you count the Camera and Hack Tool.

The Shotgun
The ...first gun
The SpearGun
The Grenade Launcher
The Machinegun
The Drill

EDIT: And you can upgrade them at the Power To The People stations, just like in the first game

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
Ninjamedic said:
There are 6 different weapons.
8 if you count the Camera and Hack Tool.

The Shotgun
The ...first gun
The SpearGun
The Grenade Launcher
The Machinegun
The Drill
That's it? What about weapon modification?

TheNamlessGuy

Jan 7, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
That's where the Power To The People stations come in.

You can upgrade the weapons 3 times, once per station.
I think there are about 7-8 stations in the game, total

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
Ninjamedic said:

Any Advice prior to renting it?

TheNamlessGuy

Jan 7, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
Fully upgrade the shotgun.

It's worth it.
It really is.

Get the ammo upgrade first.

Oh, and save all the Little Sisters.

Oh, right, I forgot: BUY IT

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
Ninjamedic said:
Fully upgrade the shotgun.

It's worth it.
It really is.

Get the ammo upgrade first.

Oh, and save all the Little Sisters.

Oh, right, I forgot: BUY IT
Right, right and right then.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
wait... hold up... Gold account? do you need to pay for Bioshock 2 multiplayer?

edit: didnt notice it was the 360 version.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:

Actually, there are 14 of them if gamefaqs is to be believed. (Yeah, I don't want to miss any upgrades, so sue me for taking a peek! :p)

OT: Good work! Appropriate length, fitting pictures, nice wording... and I definitely enjoy your brand of humor. Please, keep it up, I want to see more reviews!

(It's a weird coincidence... since I can't play AvP until Friday [damn you, Steam!] I rented Bioshock 2 today to bridge the time. Heh. Now I probably won't stop playing until 4am. ^^)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Heh. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the glitches.

Can I backtrack EVERYWHERE, or are some audio diaries are missable?

SamuelT

Jan 7, 2021
Country
Nederland
Huh. The choice "Harvest" and "Adopt" were swapped at my game. So I had to press X to adopt the Little Sister.

So, I pressed X.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Korten12 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
You have to pay for any multiplayer on XBOX Live.

Ninjamedic said:
Noted for next review.

My personal fave is the fully upgraded shotgun, as it fires electric bucks. The Rivet gun is great for traps, the Spear gun becomes a sniper rifle when upgraded and there's a machine gun, rocket launcher and my beloved drill.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

Actually it's not like the first game, once you're done with a level you can't go back. Kinda sucky.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Actually it's not like the first game, once you're done with a level you can't go back. Kinda sucky.
Awww fuck. I'm about 1-2 hours in (at the part where you need to get Incinerate, to minimize spoilers, since that doesn't spoil anything), and was hoping to backtrack...

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Ninjamedic said:
Noted for next review.

My personal fave is the fully upgraded shotgun, as it fires electric bucks. The Rivet gun is great for traps, the Spear gun becomes a sniper rifle when upgraded and there's a machine gun, rocket launcher and my beloved drill.
No that's all i needed to know, your review was perfect anyway, hope you do a BBC2 review!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Sonicron said:
OT: Good work! Appropriate length, fitting pictures, nice wording... and I definitely enjoy your brand of humor. Please, keep it up, I want to see more reviews!

(It's a weird coincidence... since I can't play AvP until Friday [damn you, Steam!] I rented Bioshock 2 today to bridge the time. Heh. Now I probably won't stop playing until 4am. ^^)
Indeed you will, it's a pretty compelling game! And thanks for the comments, much appreciated :)

Onyx Oblivion said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Awww fuck. I'm about 1-2 hours in (at the part where you need to get Incinerate, to minimize spoilers, since that doesn't spoil anything), and was hoping to backtrack...
I don't think you've missed any power to the people stations anyway... just make sure you find the one at the start of that level you're on, it's to the left before you go into Ryan Amusements.

But if you're collecting all the audio diaries it might be worth starting over and exploring thoroghly... it's up to you!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Ninjamedic said:
Noted for next review.

No that's all i needed to know, your review was perfect anyway, hope you do a BBC2 review!
I can't afford BBC2 for a while, plus no Gold Account means no multi... but I have Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2 to keep me busy and might do reviews on them!

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I don't think you've missed any power to the people stations anyway... just make sure you find the one at the start of that level you're on, it's to the left before you go into Ryan Amusements.

But if you're collecting all the audio diaries it might be worth starting over and exploring thoroghly... it's up to you!
Eh...I'll replay it. And on the second playthough, I will press X instead of Y.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Ninjamedic said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Ninjamedic said:
Noted for next review.

I can't afford BBC2 for a while, plus no Gold Account means no multi... but I have Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2 to keep me busy and might do reviews on them!
Looking forward to that, also your girlfriend is god. My brother's gf got me borderlands and a wii classic controller for christmas. :D

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

since the game is pretty linear I don't THINK you can backtrack... I haven't tried, but yes: almost all of them are missable if you aren't paying attention :p

Side Note: your avatar... It's almost hypnotic...

EDIT: dammit! stupid OP ninja!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Grrrrr..... [sobs]

Ninjamedic said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Ninjamedic said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Ninjamedic said:
Noted for next review.

Looking forward to that, also your girlfriend is god. My brother's gf got me borderlands and a wii classic controller for christmas. :D
Why thank you... I like her a lot, haha

Your brother's GF? I hope she got him something that awesome too!

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

It's okay if you missed some audio diaries, as there are more than the hundred required for the achievement. But if you wanted them purely for the history then I'm sorry.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Grrrrr..... [sobs]

Ninjamedic said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Ninjamedic said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Ninjamedic said:
Noted for next review.

Why thank you... I like her a lot, haha

Your brother's GF? I hope she got him something that awesome too!
Well me and my bro banded together to get her (lulz), a ps3 copy of dragon age if that counts?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
MiracleOfSound said:
You know, the part right before the stage, with the pool, a Little Sister vent and a "Experimental Shock Something"?
There's a locked door with a code you can open, and there's a corpse in there, as well as a Gene Tonic with that drill-EVE Hypo thing
Ah... you are probably right. My mistake. That level was annoying actually, the ADAM harvesting downstairs was tough.

Disaster Button said:
I agree with most of what you said but I always thought the Big Sister battles were amazing and really exciting, in that kind of OH SHIT OH SHIT I'm gonna die kind of way.. exhilirating would be the word I'm looking for.

The only real problem I've had is the music repeting bug but that only happened once, oh and another problem would be I can't play the damn thing now because my PC exploded.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the drill charge was satisfying, I was beginning to worry about my sanities.
It was so much fun... aim and SMASH! Blood everywhere! What's not to love?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
[
Well me and my bro banded together to get her (lulz), a ps3 copy of dragon age if that counts?
I'd be happy if someone had bought me Dragon Age so yeah, definately counts!

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
This was a good review and gave me a well rounded look at the sequel, though it did feel a little short. In general however, I think it was a good review, so you get the new LITV seal of approval

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Korten12 said:
MiracleOfSound said:

Ninjamedic said:
Noted for next review.

oh whoopsie. I didnt notcie this was a review of the xbox version. sorry. Cause I heard that bioshock 2 on pc requires windows live and I believe that has gold and silver accounts.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Lost In The Void said:
This was a good review and gave me a well rounded look at the sequel, though it did feel a little short. In general however, I think it was a good review, so you get the new LITV seal of approval
Cool! Thanks dude. And thanks, Vault Boy!

Korten12 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Korten12 said:
MiracleOfSound said:

Ninjamedic said:
Noted for next review.

oh whoopsie. I didnt notcie this was a review of the xbox version. sorry. Cause I heard that bioshock 2 on pc requires windows live and I believe that has gold and silver accounts.
Now that I did not know... hmm, I wonder if I should have pointed out in the review that it was the 360 version I played? I'll note that for the next one.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Good job, but the formatting is a bit off. I don't understand why you brake it up so much. Why not make those many sentences into an actual paragraph?

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
MiracleOfSound said:
It's in the vending machines too, I think. Maybe?

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Dude.

I'm playing through it evil.

It is so fucking hard. Like really. I played through it good (Ending was AAWWWWEEEESSSSOOMMMEEE) but I want to see it evil. I have to Harvest them before they say anything, or else I'll be guilted into not killing them.

THEY SAY "I've been good Daddy!"

HOW CAN I KILL SOMETHING THAT SAYS SOMETHING THAT CUTE!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
Good job, but the formatting is a bit off. I don't understand why you brake it up so much. Why not make those many sentences into an actual paragraph?
Simply because it's easier on the eyes due to the small text on the site.

I do it with all my posts too!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Mrsnugglesworth said:
Dude.

It is so fucking hard. Like really. I played through it good (Ending was AAWWWWEEEESSSSOOMMMEEE) but I want to see it evil. I have to Harvest them before they say anything, or else I'll be guilted into not killing them.

I hate you rraaaargh!

Did you at least get them to gather ADAM for you and then harvest them? You get more ADAM that way.

I have never harvested a little sister, I just ... can't. I've never even seen the animation for it.

Fuck killing little girls. Not a fantasy I wish to partake in!

Jenova65

Oct 3, 2009
Good review, dude, and thanks cos you know I suck at FP and Bioshock is a game I wish I could play, so yeah, thanks for making it worse ;-) Seriously though maybe I'll give it a go, after all I can kind of play Halo (only) in Co op mode and that is FP, soo....My son will let me play his Bioshock and I am getting him Bioshock 2 in the next couple of days or so.
I love the mix of Deco style with a feel of the late 40's/early 50's (well that is how it looks to me in the bits I have seen)
And you already know what I think about your lovely GF (not after an invite to the wedding, lol)and the fact that she supports your gaming habits.
You gonna review 'Awakenings', after this success?
Well done you! :)

Jenova65

Oct 3, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Pimppeter2 said:

Leave it the way it is, it works. Bite size chunks are easier to take in online, iygwim?

Zani

May 14, 2008
I'm still on the fence about this game, I honestly hated the first game, but the gameplay was the worst, whenever I was trying to immerse myself into the story and setting the terrible gameplay catapulted me out.

Is the gameplay really that different in this game?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Zani said:
I'm still on the fence about this game, I honestly hated the first game, but the gameplay was the worst, whenever I was trying to immerse myself into the story and setting the terrible gameplay catapulted me out.

Is the gameplay really that different in this game?
No. it's quite similar but it just feels more refined and a little more precise. It's better, but it still has room for improvement.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Jenova65 said:
Good review, dude, and thanks cos you know I suck at FP and Bioshock is a game I wish I could play, so yeah, thanks for making it worse ;-) Seriously though maybe I'll give it a go, after all I can kind of play Halo (only) in Co op mode and that is FP, soo....My son will let me play his Bioshock and I am getting him Bioshock 2 in the next couple of days or so.
I love the mix of Deco style with a feel of the late 40's/early 50's (well that is how it looks to me in the bits I have seen)
And you already know what I think about your lovely GF (not after an invite to the wedding, lol)and the fact that she supports your gaming habits.
Thanks Jen!

Like I said, if you want to give it a try just throw it on easy and enjoy the fantastic scenery.

If you play the intro to Bioshock 1 (which has no shooting until about 15 minutes in) I guarantee you'll at least be a little hooked :)

I'm glad that my GF supports my habit too... as she said herself 'Jesus I'm such an enabler'

ha!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Well Miracle, you may have made me, The man who has an undying hate for the first into at least renting this.
The first had horrible flaws, nothing buy fetch quests, a shitty escort mission at the end then a piss poor final boss...combined with annoying and poorly done shooting mechanics, It was just a mess.

However, after this review I might rent it to see if it really is a step up from the first.

Jenova65

Oct 3, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Jenova65 said:
Thanks Jen!

Like I said, if you want to give it a try just throw it on easy and enjoy the fantastic scenery.

If you play the intro to Bioshock 1 (which has no shooting until about 15 minutes in) I guarantee you'll at least be a little hooked :)

I'm glad that my GF supports my habit too... as she said herself 'Jesus I'm such an enabler'

ha!
Funnily enough it's half term at college and 'L', was at home and brought Bioshock in to my room and played the beginning for me to have another look at a couple of days ago so it is quite fresh in my mind.
Tell your GF she is not an enabler she's a little gaming angel sent by the gaming Gods (that should soft soap her a bit ;-) ) And at least when you are gaming she knows where you are and what you are up to, lol.

Insert Comedy Here

May 22, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Did you at least get them to gather ADAM for you and then harvest them? You get more ADAM that way.
AKA the Super Dick move.

I have never harvested a little sister, I just ... can't. I've never even seen the animation for it.
Unfortuantely I saw a video showing what happens if you harvest a Little Sister as Delta... it's bad. It's freaking terrible.

Anyway good review.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Jenova65 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Jenova65 said:
Thanks Jen!

ha!
Funnily enough it's half term at college and 'L', was at home and brought Bioshock in to my room and played the beginning for me to have another look at a couple of days ago so it is quite fresh in my mind.
Tell your GF she is not an enabler she's a little gaming angel sent by the gaming Gods (that should soft soap her a bit ;-) ) And at least when you are gaming she knows where you are and what you are up to, lol.
Exactly :D

Wierdly enough she actually likes it when I'm gaming. I use headphones so as not to disturb anyone, so she sits in the room reading her mags, watching Sex and the City on youtube, or looking at gossip sites.

And if I'm playing Oblivion she always wants the sound left on, because she likes the music.

I just realised what a lucky bastard I am... my previous GFs thought gaming was basically the devil...

Jenova65

Oct 3, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Jenova65 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Jenova65 said:
Thanks Jen!

ha!
Exactly :D

Wierdly enough she actually likes it when I'm gaming. I use headphones so as not to disturb anyone, so she sits in the room reading her mags, watching Sex and the City on youtube, or looking at gossip sites.

And if I'm playing Oblivion she always wants the sound left on, because she likes the music.

I just realised what a lucky bastard I am... my previous GFs thought gaming was basically the devil...
Everyone's a winner! My husband often watches me play (he is getting my daughter's 360 this week as she is getting my 'Halo edition', 360 cos I am getting an elite for the extra memory) he doesn't play often and when he does it is on his old, old Xbox he plays the same games over and over, so I am getting him Forza 3 maybe with my bundle. But he enjoys watching Mass Effect and Dragon Age (phew) and used to watch me play Skies Of Arcardia on 'Cube (still have it)
Having a partner who supports (even if they don't play) gaming is pretty awesome and we should appreciate them :)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Jenova65 said:
[
Everyone's a winner! My husband often watches me play (he is getting my daughter's 360 this week as she is getting my 'Halo edition', 360 cos I am getting an elite for the extra memory) he doesn't play often and when he does it is on his old, old Xbox he plays the same games over and over, so I am getting him Forza 3 maybe with my bundle. But he enjoys watching Mass Effect and Dragon Age (phew) and used to watch me play Skies Of Arcardia on 'Cube (still have it)
Having a partner who supports (even if they don't play) gaming is pretty awesome and we should appreciate them :)
He sounds very cool! I can understand the Bioware thing, non-gamers can enjoy watching them too because they're so story rich.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Insert Comedy Here said:
MiracleOfSound said:
AKA the Super Dick move.

Unfortuantely I saw a video showing what happens if you harvest a Little Sister as Delta... it's bad. It's freaking terrible.

Anyway good review.
Just went and watched that on YOUtube. I wish I hadn't. :(

MrSnugglesworth

Jan 15, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
Dude.

I hate you rraaaargh!

I had to just Harvest them.

But I just beat it.

The evil ending was amazing.

Like, Good ending was all "Oh, how nice"

Evil really was gratifying.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Mrsnugglesworth said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
Dude.

I hate you rraaaargh!

But I just beat it.

Yeah I watched the evil ending and it was also pretty epic.

Still, I prefer the good end. It's so sad but so beautiful...

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
Pimppeter2 said:

Now I do that too im my posts, but its a bit silly from a reviewer stand point. Techinically, what your writing tells me is that something like this

Character models are a lot better than the awful, hideous monstrosities in the first game, but can still look a little unfinished and clumsy in parts.
is important enough to deserve its own paragraph. It just generally flow breaking and doesn't make much sense. When you break the page you are telling us you have completed a though, and when you do stuff like that it makes your thoughts seem completely unorganized and throws us into disarray.

And stuff like this

Combat can become a mess sometimes though, most noticeably in large battles with a few enemies at once. The blur effect when you get shot is very annoying and causes confusion, and elemental effects can cause the frame rate to drop quite badly, which is pretty much unacceptable in a 2010 mainstream release.

Also, when a Big Daddy gets involved in a ruckus between you and splicers, it becomes utter chaos. Which can be fun, but is mostly just frustrating.
Is not as effective when you break it up like this. Read the passage out loud. And count to 3 in your head when you break the paragrah. Thats what its like to the people reading this.

Not to mention that whole paragraph is a giant run on sentence. Something like this would be more effective.

Large battles with few enemies? WAHH?

Combat can become quite a mess sometimes. Most noticeably in larger battles with multiple enemies charging at once. This isn't helped by The blur effect when you get shot being annoying and a major cause of confusion. All while elemental effects can cause the frame rate to drop quite badly, which is pretty much unacceptable in a 2010 Triple A release. And When a Big Daddy gets involved in a ruckus between you and splicers, it becomes utter chaos. Which can be fun, but is often just frustrating.
Anyways, love the review series name.

-Take this as it is, its just friendly constructive criticism.
-Pimppeter2, "Pimpin reviews"

[sub]Just somehting I plan on signing my opinions in here with[/sub]

MrSnugglesworth

Jan 15, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
Dude.

I hate you rraaaargh!

But I just beat it.

Yeah I watched the evil ending and it was also pretty epic.

Still, I prefer the good end. It's so sad but so beautiful...
Have you seen the Neutral one yet? If not I recommend it.

I teared up a bit. The All Good and All Evil are amazing endings, but Neutral touched me.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
What's the saviour achievement? I played on ps3 and saved every little sister, but only got a trophy for "dealing with" every sister...

And what framerate drop? I was electro shocking and drill charging and I usually had hacked bots with me and never noticed a framerate drop. Not once.

MrSnugglesworth

Jan 15, 2009
Wolfram01 said:
What's the saviour achievement? I played on ps3 and saved every little sister, but only got a trophy for "dealing with" every sister...

And what framerate drop? I was electro shocking and drill charging and I usually had hacked bots with me and never noticed a framerate drop. Not once.
Probably only on the Xbox then.

My game froze from to much action when I unloaded 6 Phosphorus bucks into a big daddy right before it did the stun thing.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Wolfram01 said:

It's for saving every little sister and
sparing the three people you are given the option of killing

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
imahobbit4062 said:
Well Miracle, you may have made me, The man who has an undying hate for the first into at least renting this.
The first had horrible flaws, nothing buy fetch quests, a shitty escort mission at the end then a piss poor final boss...combined with annoying and poorly done shooting mechanics, It was just a mess.

However, after this review I might rent it to see if it really is a step up from the first.
Yaya! But don't blame me if you hate it, now , hehe!

And there are one or two fetch quests, just so you know. And a fuckton of Escort missions but they're ok because the little sisters are invincible now.

Pimppeter2 said:
Now I do that too im my posts, but its a bit silly from a reviewer stand point. Techinically, what your writing tells me is that something like this

is important enough to deserve its own paragraph. It just generally flow breaking and doesn't make much sense. When you break the page you are telling us you have completed a though, and when you do stuff like that it makes your thoughts seem completely unorganized and throws us into disarray.

And stuff like this

Is not as effective when you break it up like this. Read the passage out loud. And count to 3 in your head when you break the paragrah. Thats what its like to the people reading this.

Not to mention that whole paragraph is a giant run on sentence. Something like this would be more effective.

Large battles with few enemies? WAHH?

Combat can become quite a mess sometimes. Most noticeably in larger battles with multiple enemies charging at once. This isn't helped by The blur effect when you get shot being annoying and a major cause of confusion. All while elemental effects can cause the frame rate to drop quite badly, which is pretty much unacceptable in a 2010 Triple A release. And When a Big Daddy gets involved in a ruckus between you and splicers, it becomes utter chaos. Which can be fun, but is often just frustrating.
Anyways, love the review series name.

-Take this as it is, its just friendly constructive criticism.
-Pimppeter2, "Pimpin reviews"

[sub]Just somehting I plan on signing my opinions in here with[/sub]
Couple of points here....

It was 'a few enemies at once', not 'few enemies'. That sentence makes sense and didn't need to be corrected.

I appreciate the constructive comments but I don't think I'll be changing the format as most people seem to like it.

Personally I know I would read reviews on this site more often if they weren't always such long walls of text, and I'm try to avoid that.

And your new avatar is making me happy!

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Personally i thought that Bioshock 2 was a bit too similar to it's prequel. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, but it could have been even better with a bit more improvements.
I liked the drill, but fuel was rare and used up much to fast, so i alternated between the weapons quite often.
What i really loved about the game was:
the part where you could play as a little sister and saw everything from her viewpoint. The environment was suddenly changed into a much cuter version of Rapture to reflect what the brainwashing had done to the little sisters. And you get the explanation why the little sister call the corpses angels

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
lapan said:
Personally i thought that Bioshock 2 was a bit too similar to it's prequel. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, but it could have been even better with a bit more improvements.
I liked the drill, but fuel was rare and used up much to fast, so i alternated between the weapons quite often.
What i really loved about the game was:
the part where you could play as a little sister and saw everything from her viewpoint. The environment was suddenly changed into a much cuter version of Rapture to reflect what the brainwashing had done to the little sisters. And you get the explanation why the little sister call the corpses angels
That part was sublime... I didn't mention it in the review because it's such a spoiler but it really was a wonderful moment.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Demented Teddy said:

Yeah I got that too, was a nice little surprise. I definately agonised over Alex the Great though...
I got that one on my first try too!

But, I had to harvest 1 little sister (I'm saving the rest) in the new one to get a diff ending, but I just felt rotten for a week afterwards. And whenever I adopt any little sisters now, they're all scared and asking if I'm angry, or going to hurt them, and then I just feel incredibly guilty. (as I should)

Antiparticle

Dec 8, 2008
Catchy Slogan said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Demented Teddy said:
I still feel I was cheated out of that achievement. I mean, the guy repeatedly said that there was nothing left of him in what he had become, and begged me to kill him, so I grant his last request and electrocute that grotesque monster, and then suddenly I'm a bad person? Come on. Well, doesn't matter, I'll play through the game on Easy some time and get that achievement. (I already did a playthrough on Normal and Hard.)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Catchy Slogan said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Demented Teddy said:

But, I had to harvest 1 little sister (I'm saving the rest) in the new one to get a diff ending, but I just felt rotten for a week afterwards. And whenever I adopt any little sisters now, they're all scared and asking if I'm angry, or going to hurt them, and then I just feel incredibly guilty. (as I should)
4 playthroughs of Bioshock 1, 2 of Bioshock 2 and I have never harvested a sister. I can't do it!

magicman4443

Mar 25, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Catchy Slogan said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Demented Teddy said:

4 playthroughs of Bioshock 1, 2 of Bioshock 2 and I have never harvested a sister. I can't do it!
I know what you mean. I've never harvested a Little Sister, but I watched a friend harvest one while playing a Bioshock game for the first time. He was totally horrified.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Catchy Slogan said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Demented Teddy said:

You're a better person than I am. I could never go through with it in Bioshock 1 after the first time, mostly because of the sad-voice-guilt-trip-thing that Tenenbaum puts you through.

Also, I was dissapointed that she wasn't in the second one more. If you're going to put her in, then actually use her, otherwise it's just a waste.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Catchy Slogan said:
You're a better person than I am. I could never go through with it in Bioshock 1 after the first time, mostly because of the sad-voice-guilt-trip-thing that Tenenbaum puts you through.

Also, I was dissapointed that she wasn't in the second one more. If you're going to put her in, then actually use her, otherwise it's just a waste.
Not harvesting them works out better in the long run anyway as you get gifts from Tenenbaum.

And yeah, she was kind of criminally underused in the sequel, I'd have liked her character to have been developed more. She just kind of dissappeared off the radar somewhere along the line.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Ooo, Bioshock 2 review! *Reads in silence*

OK, done. A very nicely written review, as usual. No problems as far as I can see so very nice work, Miracle.

I love the fights in this game as there are a lot more satisfying and meaty. I also agree with you and many others, I cannot harvest the Little Sisters. I accidentally did harvest one and felt like a complete and total bastard for doing so, for about 24 hours afterwards. So, that lead to me reloading a save two hours previously. And I also feel like a tosser after you've killed their Big Daddy and they start crying over them.
The Bioshock games do tug at your heart strings a bit, which is a good thing. More games need to do this I think. The only other game that has done it for me in recent times is FF XIII which I have yet to finish.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Apr 11, 2008
Exterminas said:
The Ammunition-Tonic you are talking about comes from researching alpha series.

(Didn't flag it as a spoiler, because the information can be taken from the games main menue)
I'm pretty sure you get the Arms Race Tonic from researching regular Big Daddies. And I don't think the game mneu tells you where any tonics are. Even if it did, you're right, it's not a spoiler.

Menu doesn't have an 'e' on the end btw.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Apr 11, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
Catchy Slogan said:

Not harvesting them works out better in the long run anyway as you get gifts from Tenenbaum.

And yeah, she was kind of criminally underused in the sequel, I'd have liked her character to have been developed more. She just kind of dissappeared off the radar somewhere along the line.
At least they gave her a proper face this time. In the first game her appearance was that of a generic splicer.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Sassafrass said:

OK, done. A very nicely written review, as usual. No problems as far as I can see so very nice work, Miracle.

I love the fights in this game as there are a lot more satisfying and meaty. I also agree with you and many others, I cannot harvest the Little Sisters. I accidentally did harvest one and felt like a complete and total bastard for doing so, for about 24 hours afterwards. So, that lead to me reloading a save two hours previously. And I also feel like a tosser after you've killed their Big Daddy and they start crying over them.
The Bioshock games do tug at your heart strings a bit, which is a good thing. More games need to do this I think. The only other game that has done it for me in recent times is FF XIII which I have yet to finish.
Just saw this now.

Cheers for the kind words :)

You're right, killing the big daddies brings on major guilt. It's not just for the Lil Sisters' sake... they sound so sad as they let out their death groan!

The good ending is a hell of a heartstring puller too.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
MiracleOfSound said:
Sassafrass said:

Just saw this now.

Cheers for the kind words :)

You're right, killing the big daddies brings on major guilt. It's not just for the Lil Sisters' sake... they sound so sad as they let out their death groan!

The good ending is a hell of a heartstring puller too.
No problem, man.

I've started playing it again to try towards one of the super secret hidden endings which is probably going to kill me as you need to harvest at least one Sister. ;_;

After playing through it again and again, starting it again nearly every time as FF XIII distracted me and I forgot about it, I've noticed that the Little Sisters when you have adopted one say some quite hilarious things when use a plasmid on a Splicer. Use Incinerate on one and she may go "Mmm, marshmallows" which had me laughing for ages and sometimes when you use Electro Bolt she'll say "Look Daddy, they're dancing!"
It is one of the funniest and cutest things I have ever heard.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Sassafrass said:
After playing through it again and again, starting it again nearly every time as FF XIII distracted me and I forgot about it, I've noticed that the Little Sisters when you have adopted one say some quite hilarious things when use a plasmid on a Splicer. Use Incinerate on one and she may go "Mmm, marshmallows" which had me laughing for ages and sometimes when you use Electro Bolt she'll say "Look Daddy, they're dancing!"
I noticed that too, the marshmallow line was hilarious!

It's kind of creepy when you think about about it... how sadistic the little sisters are... 'Kill him Daddy! Hurt him!'

And the daily mail thought Hit Girl was bad...

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
MiracleOfSound said:
Sassafrass said:

It's kind of creepy when you think about about it... how sadistic the little sisters are... 'Kill him Daddy! Hurt him!'

Yeah, it is actually.
But they are adorable so you can forgive them anything.

And I saw the review they did of Kick Ass. Jesus Christ...

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Sassafrass said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Sassafrass said:

Yeah, it is actually.

That was just bad comedy.

Did you see the comments section got shut down because so many people were calling them out on it?

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
MiracleOfSound said:
Sassafrass said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Sassafrass said:

Yeah, it is actually.

That was just bad comedy.

Did you see the comments section got shut down because so many people were calling them out on it?
They closed the comments section?
Heh, well it was the biggest rage against anything since that X-Factor bru-ha last year.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
I hope you got the neutral ending too, and just didn't mention it because it's too good.
Because it's the best.

And I finished the game 3 times
And the drill is mah favorite. It's just so... big daddy-tastic!

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
MiracleOfSound said:
nope, it's behind the curtains at the theater.

EDIT: wait a minute, that's what you said! shocking!

OT: loved the game, good review, and I see potential in you writing more.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Sassafrass said:
Heh, well it was the biggest rage against anything since that X-Factor bru-ha last year.
What was that? Jedward? They make me ashamed to be Irish.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
MiracleOfSound said:
Sassafrass said:
Well, that and the Christmas number 1 thingy as well.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Sassafrass said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Sassafrass said:
Oh yeah I forgot about that. That was actually pretty cool. RATM were a big band for me growing up in the 90s!

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
MiracleOfSound said:
Sassafrass said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Sassafrass said:
Oh yeah I forgot about that. That was actually pretty cool. RATM were a big band for me growing up in the 90s!
I never really listened to them but I've heard one song by them. Guess which one? :p
And you'll like one of my up-coming reviews then. X-Factor, anyone?

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
The first game was a miracle. This one was a snivelling puddle of burned down testicle crust. Good review though.

loooooowwww

Dec 10, 2009
nah man i disagree the story isnt nearly as good as the first one, no twists and turns, that would you kindly bit in bioshock 1 blew my mind. I did think the bad ending was one of the best ive seen in a while though lol I was getting quite proud of how evil elanor was before the ***** killed me :p