Miracle's Whip - RED DEAD REDEMPTION

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I'm not that far into the game (as always, I've rented it before considering a purchase), but on the parts I've seen thus far I agree with your review on all accounts. The most pleasant thing about RDR for me is that it's actually pleasant - to me every single game Rockstar churned out after Vice City was an unbelievably smelly piece of shit, and with this game they've finally returned to form.

Saying I'm going to buy RDR solely due to your wang-wiltingly huge and excellently written review would be lying, but it's done its job in convincing me that the rest of the game will most likely be just as enjoyable as what I've played so far. Good job! :)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
scobie said:
]Don't worry, it's not just that. I was on the edge of not buying it, and a proper analysis of the game's flaws tipped me over the edge. Most other reviewers haven't seen fit to do anything but gush at me.

Also, it wasn't just the occasionally frustrating missions that bugged me in GTA IV. It was the fact that the game couldn't find any middle ground. Almost all the missions were so easy as to be simply dull. The few that were actually challenging went overboard and became maddening instead. I have a very distinct memory of finally completing "The Snow Storm", an absolutely hair-tearing mission which I had to do about 20 times, and immediately afterwards doing a mission that consisted in its entirety of driving from one place to another. There was no difficulty slider and my attempts to increase the difficulty by turning off auto-aim were foiled when I realised that the game had not been designed in the expectation that anyone would want to do that.

I'm not saying that I'm certain RDR is a bad game. It just sounds like it has inherited a few of the flaws of GTA IV. Considering that I have a ton of other games I want to buy and a ton I already own that I haven't played, as well as a lot of other stuff to do, I'm not going to take a chance on something I'm still skeptical about. Maybe when I hit a games drought I'll consider it.
Oh God, I remember Snow Storm... that mission was such a pain in the ass, and there were no fucking checkpoints...

I hear you, everything you said there is true and if those flaws bugged you too much then they'll piss you off again in RDR.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Sonicron said:
Saying I'm going to buy RDR solely due to your wang-wiltingly huge and excellently written review would be lying, but it's done its job in convincing me that the rest of the game will most likely be just as enjoyable as what I've played so far. Good job! :)
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Your review makes me wanna FAP play Red Dead. (Very detailed, you have done well young Padawan)
Neonbob said:
That was a good read, Miracle!
It felt pretty substantial, and yet spoiler-free! Yay! Now I don't have to track you down and murder you in a horribly painful way! :p
Now, if you'll excuse me...
*goes back to pacing while waiting for money to get the game*
Thanks chaps, glad ye enjoyed it and the new format wasn't too off-putting.

braincore02

Jan 14, 2008
Great review. I had the same experience with duels. "OK a tutorial!" I thought, "Pay attention- wait I'm dead. So how do you duel again? Nothing in the manual or in game menus- bad form" Thankfully the internet had me sorted out before too long.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
braincore02 said:
Great review. I had the same experience with duels. "OK a tutorial!" I thought, "Pay attention- wait I'm dead. So how do you duel again? Nothing in the manual or in game menus- bad form" Thankfully the internet had me sorted out before too long.
I forgot to mention that it wasn't in the bloody manual either. That was a bit of a cock-slap and I was too stubborna and proud to get help from the web (stupid me)

loooooowwww

Dec 10, 2009
dude why the hate this is one of my favourite games of all time I just this second finished it 100% it took me 1 day 19hr and 42 sec over 6 days, its been a long time since a game has completely filled me with the need to finish it. So allow me to hit you with some counter arguments.

1. you said the random encounters got too repetitive, in the real world if for example stealing someones wagon is a crime that works then a lot of ppl are going to do it so i think having the same random encounters is more true to life than having every andom encounter be different.

2.I never had any problems wit tutorials, if you dont like dead eye then dont use it, if you dont like the targeting system then turn on expert targeting mode. seems to me rockstar is making the game excessable to everyone. If you find horse riding tedious then use the stage coaches. not enough checkpoints? set up a campsite before your reach your destination bam! save point, or you could buy a horse in store and everytime you use the paper thing in consumables to summon a new one the game saves it also saves after every challange checkpoint,

3. find it annoying that your lasso defaults back to your pistol, i was gratefull it defaulted back to ANY gun and didnt just stay on lasso til you changed it.

No frame rate issues for me, one crash but other than that it was smooth sailing. and who cares about the damn cows when i was doing a mission for my own ranch the stupid bastards stampeded in front of a train and i lost 3 right there.

im not saying its perfect im just saying you seem to be complaining about thing that are easily fixed (aiming system, horseriding etc) or things that didnt happen in my game (frame rate issues)

If i was gonna complain id complain that skunks are apparently on the brink of extinction in the world of red dead redemption and that it seems to be a world where its night time 3/4 of the bloody time !

just a difference of opinion i guess but i love this game so much im gonna buy the first one on ebay play that and then play a 2nd playthrough of this just in case i missed anything :p

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
loooooowwww said:
1. you said the random encounters got too repetitive, in the real world if for example stealing someones wagon is a crime that works then a lot of ppl are going to do it so i think having the same random encounters is more true to life than having every andom encounter be different.
It ain't hate, just criticisms!

It's not the real world, it's a game. Games should be always be fun, unlike the real world.

loooooowwww said:
im not saying its perfect im just saying you seem to be complaining about thing that are easily fixed (aiming system, horseriding etc) or things that didnt happen in my game (frame rate issues)

just a difference of opinion i guess but i love this game so much im gonna buy the first one on ebay play that and then play a 2nd playthrough of this just in case i missed anything :p
Ha, I can see you're pretty passionate about it man. We have just got different views on the game, I find fault where I see it and but pointed out all the good stuff too. I think I was as fair an unbiased as I could be (you should see my review of 'Gamer' if you think this one was hateful...)

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Great review. I really want to dig this game, I love Westerns and the Wild Wild West. Sadly, no cash and no time. But Summer is almost here!

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
I love this game with a passion. GOTY, definately. I've been playing since launch (on 360), and I've encountered bugs only in multiplayer, which were corrected in an almost immediate patch.

I will agree that the honor system is a good idea, just not quite as well implemented or impactful on your game as it could have been.

As for your indication that you find the missions repetitive, I disagree. While yes, there are generic types of missions, the originality of the missions comes from the mission settings themselves and the free-roaming granted by a sandbox game.

Example,
When you're asked to sneak onto a train, steal it, and then use the gatling gun on it to kill all the Mexican soldiers in the camp, I decided to do it a different way. I snuck in, killing the guards on the train, then as the game prompted me to use the gatling gun, I instead tossed a stick of dynamite into the middle of the sleepy camp, demolishing nearly everyone in it, laughing with maniacal glee.

So yeah, that jumpy gatling gun? Leave it and switch to your rifle or something. I did. It worked marvelously and the game doesn't fail you for doing so. After some practice, I got better with it, and it is excellent for cutting horses out from under pursuers.

Anyways, it's all about freedom, and I see this problem in many sandbox games, where people have no imagination or simply aren't used to being able to do what you want, instead of what the game tells you to. Having an imagination and being creative can lead to so-called repetitive missions being new and fresh each time, ie., see a guy stealing a horse? Drag his ass off with the lasso and skid his happy behind you, across the plains, leaving him in cougar country as punishment for horse thievery. The next time it happens, kill the horse, ride up to him and laugh like Nelson Muntz. Third time? Try shooting him off the horse without killing him, then trample him to death for poetic justice.

And yeah, you do know that you can save anytime with your campsite kit, right? So, yeah, that checkpoint thing's a moot point.

As for the 'only 3 save slots' thing, how many do you need, man? Geez. I've been playing since launch and I'm only on one. I mean, I guess if you have multiple people wanting to play it on a single console, but that's the only valid reason this could be a true complaint that I can see.

I digress, decent review, perhaps a bit rushed, but I can tell effort was put in, so credit where it's due, y'know?

And yeah, I said it, GOTY. I've already braced for all the 'the year's not over' and 'ME2' hate, so fire away if you must.

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
Just pointing out that Nico Bellik is grim, angsty and dull. He didn't need to be put in comparison to anything else.

And, good review. Mind, I think you should've talked more about all of the glitches. Like the Mutant Donkey Woman.

Sybban

Jul 25, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Shame the multiplayer is terrible...Awful, even.

No friendly fire off option, and people get EX for killing you. Turns random matchmaking free roam into Deathmatch.
I've heard free roam is a disaster alright, surely they should have made it so that you can only do PVP if both players agree?

I keep hearing this from every review that free roam is rubbish. As far I can tell everyone thinks it's an extension of the game. You aren't meant to go about it alone, if you do then yes it will be crap. I really just did the matches because the idea of gathering up a bunch of people to do gang hideouts didn't really appeal to me. I just think of the free roam as the world's biggest waiting room.

The mp matches are ok, only 2 modes and 2 objectives. Was fun for about a week then got incredibly repetitive. Doesn't take long to figure out left tigger, flick LS up, shoot. But ya, I just wanted to clear up everyone's issue with free roam.

loooooowwww

Dec 10, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
loooooowwww said:
It ain't hate, just criticisms!

It's not the real world, it's a game. Games should be always be fun, unlike the real world.

loooooowwww said:

Ha, I can see you're pretty passionate about it man. We have just got different views on the game, I find fault where I see it and but pointed out all the good stuff too. I think I was as fair an unbiased as I could be (you should see my review of 'Gamer' if you think this one was hateful...)
yup I reapsect your opinion man and love the reviews. throw me a txt later when your online me you and collin should really have a crack at multiplayer. whats this about free roam being a disaster? ive been so busy with single player that i havent tried multiplaer yet.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
loooooowwww said:
[
yup I reapsect your opinion man and love the reviews. throw me a txt later when your online me you and collin should really have a crack at multiplayer. whats this about free roam being a disaster? ive been so busy with single player that i havent tried multiplaer yet.
The problem with free rome is that people can attack you without you agreeing to go PVP, so it just turns into a big killfest.

We should do some private co-op missions that would be fun.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
Great review.
In part due to your good advice :)

Sober Thal said:
Way longer than needed. You ramble on for a longer time than should be viable.
Have you played this game? I left more stuff out than I put in, it's massive. I really don't think I rambled on that much.

Sober Thal said:
Run on sentence, plus a lack of originality and seriousness....
I have no idea what 'Run on sentence' means, as somewhat ironically your grammar seems to be kind of all over the place.

Sober Thal said:
: 'But as you yell 'Giddy Up' and race down that cliff-side path in a whirlwind of dirt and adrenalin, drawing your six-shooter and racing towards the besieged carriage, the only thing missing being the William Tell Overture, you will only be breaking off one little spike from a massive, juice filled cactus.'

It is ok, most people who add these critic like reviews have no idea what they are doing, and should be stopped. It is no shock that people add to this forum thread because they don't know any better.
We do it for fun, buddy. It's not a 'special club', anyone can do it and we all chip in to help them improve and get better. If you have a problem with that then we won't see eye to eye.

Now, if you have some genuine criticisms that make sense I'll be happy to listen to them.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
King of the Sandbox said:
I love this game with a passion. GOTY, definately. I've been playing since launch (on 360), and I've encountered bugs only in multiplayer, which were corrected in an almost immediate patch.

I will agree that the honor system is a good idea, just not quite as well implemented or impactful on your game as it could have been.

As for your indication that you find the missions repetitive, I disagree. While yes, there are generic types of missions, the originality of the missions comes from the mission settings themselves and the free-roaming granted by a sandbox game.

Example,
When you're asked to sneak onto a train, steal it, and then use the gatling gun on it to kill all the Mexican soldiers in the camp, I decided to do it a different way. I snuck in, killing the guards on the train, then as the game prompted me to use the gatling gun, I instead tossed a stick of dynamite into the middle of the sleepy camp, demolishing nearly everyone in it, laughing with maniacal glee.

So yeah, that jumpy gatling gun? Leave it and switch to your rifle or something. I did. It worked marvelously and the game doesn't fail you for doing so. After some practice, I got better with it, and it is excellent for cutting horses out from under pursuers.

Anyways, it's all about freedom, and I see this problem in many sandbox games, where people have no imagination or simply aren't used to being able to do what you want, instead of what the game tells you to. Having an imagination and being creative can lead to so-called repetitive missions being new and fresh each time, ie., see a guy stealing a horse? Drag his ass off with the lasso and skid his happy behind you, across the plains, leaving him in cougar country as punishment for horse thievery. The next time it happens, kill the horse, ride up to him and laugh like Nelson Muntz. Third time? Try shooting him off the horse without killing him, then trample him to death for poetic justice.

And yeah, you do know that you can save anytime with your campsite kit, right? So, yeah, that checkpoint thing's a moot point.

As for the 'only 3 save slots' thing, how many do you need, man? Geez. I've been playing since launch and I'm only on one. I mean, I guess if you have multiple people wanting to play it on a single console, but that's the only valid reason this could be a true complaint that I can see.

I digress, decent review, perhaps a bit rushed, but I can tell effort was put in, so credit where it's due, y'know?

And yeah, I said it, GOTY. I've already braced for all the 'the year's not over' and 'ME2' hate, so fire away if you must.
All fair points there, and like I said in the review it was all minor niggles. There was nothing in the game I felt was really bad.

The repetitive missions I had a problem with weren't the free-form ones, they were the ones where you ride and ride and ride and then shoot. I know it's the core of the game but still felt they could have added a little more variety. Were you not just a little bit disappointed when the mine cart escape stopped after about ten seconds? I was hoping for an awesome resident Evil 4 style section!

I did not know you could save during missions, thanks for pointing that out. That's a new addition for a Rockstar game and a well needed one too.

I know I pointed out a lot of bad things but believe me, I loved the game and thought it was better than GTA4 in every conceivable way.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

No friendly fire off option, and people get EX for killing you. Turns random matchmaking free roam into Deathmatch.
I've heard free roam is a disaster alright, surely they should have made it so that you can only do PVP if both players agree?
Thats why playing with friends in a closed session is good :)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
RicoADF said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Thats why playing with friends in a closed session is good :)
That's what I'm planning alright, I tried the competitive multiplayer and all it reminded me of is how much I hate competitive multiplayer. :D