Miracle's Whip - SILENT HILL 2 (and why it's still the scariest game ever made)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Miracle's Whip - SILENT HILL 2 RETROSPECTIVE

It's difficult to scare a gamer who grew up on a diet of horror and gore movies as a teenager. Horror games have a tendency to focus on jump scares, blood and action than on tension and dread. Sure, Dead Space was scary. It made me jump a few times, in between bouts of being a one man wrecking machine blasting the limbs off anything that moved. Condemned had some real jump-out-of-your-seat moments (Locker Room, anyone?), and who can forget the exhilarating panic of being chased through the log cabin in its sequel? Alan Wake was scary for the first hour until you realised the game was just filled with the same easily killed nasties for its entire duration. Resident Evil 4 had the Alien style Right Hand sequence, pitting the player against a terrifying creature but ruining the experience with immersion breaking QTEs. Resident Evil 5's only frightening aspects were Sheva's AI, and the spectacularly stupid racial caricatures.

This is why playing Silent Hill 2 makes me sad. Not because it's bad, but because it's so good. It's hard to believe that in almost a decade since its release, not one developer has managed to create a horror title with anywhere near the same level of primal, gut wrenching fear that this masterpiece instills in the player. One would think with the technical advances of today, devs would be able to enhance the medium's ability to get under our skin and make us quiver like jelly on a washing machine. Not so. So why is it that Silent Hill 2, with its now dated graphics and clunky control scheme, is still by far the most terrifying game on the market today?

The Silent Hill trans-gender clinic really needed to come up with a better name.

The reason is that it isn't just scary, it's deeply, intensely unsettling and disturbing. For ten hours, Silent Hill 2 worms its way into the player's mind, rattling the psyche and bringing us face to face with our deepest, most primal fears. Death, sex, guilt, isolation, anger, disease... all are presented in subtle, terrifying ways that pry into the subconscious and unrelentingly distress the player on a profound level. The game is ingenious in its synergy, making the most of imagery, sound, a fantastic soundtrack and an emotionally charged story. Everything gels together wonderfully to create, in my opinion, the most atmospheric game created to this day - an astounding achievement given its age.

The first thing that struck me playing this game was the wonderful oxymoron of its ugly beauty. Beginning in a disgusting public toilet, we meet James Sunderland, our protagonist, as he whispers cryptic questions into a dirty mirror. The walls are crumbling, filthy and gritty. A hellish red-brown colour dominates the walls, giving an impression of decay, rust, dried blood or old meat. This brilliantly horrible hue is the primary colour in the game's interiors, and a huge factor in giving the game its unique aesthetic. Despite its ugliness, there is something darkly compelling and beautiful about it. We learn that James has received a letter from his dead wife, asking him to meet her in the town of Silent Hill, where they used to spend their holidays together. This is the first example of a very important feature: the game never questions its own bizarre logic or condescends the player by trying to make its themes obvious. Some players have misinterpreted the story as making no sense, but everything in Silent Hill 2 is there for a reason. The story is told almost entirely through metaphors. Nothing is there simply to seem weird or creepy, every event, area and creature has some significance, no matter how seemingly opaque and evasive their meanings are.

Nurse? I've a 'wink wink' downstairs problem I need you to look, at... oh, wait... actually never mind.

Take, for example, the masterful creature design. The monsters in Silent Hill 2 are horrifying, but not just through ugliness. They tap into our dark, psycho-sexual subconscious. The first monster we encounter is a strange shuffling humanoid. Though its top half is trapped and sheathed in a condom-like mess of leathery, bloodied skin, vomiting green bile in James's face, its bottom half is feminine, elegant and dare I say it, almost sexy, dressed only in boots and a thong. It is this perplexing mix of sex and death that informs most of the creature design, the reasons becoming ever clearer as the story goes on and the monsters become more deranged and frightening. Everyone remembers the nurses, with their teasing cleavages, tight, short skirts and bloody, bandaged faces. The Abstract Daddies are particularly sinister, exploiting our fears of rape, captivity and suffocation.

Most iconic, of course, is Pyramid Head. Though somewhat bastardised nowadays due to the movie version of Silent Hill completely missing his meaning and context, he is a terrifying presence in the game. He is not scary because he wears a big metal hat, he is scary because he represents the darkest, most animal and vicious parts of the male mind. He is agony, guilt, desire, violence and power and he is there inside all of us.

'Excuse me, have you seen Chris Gans? I'd like a friendly word with him about context.'

Environmental design is equally as impressive. After a slow, creepy trudge through the mist-filled streets, we find ourselves in an apartment block. This is where the visuals hit their stride. James can only ever see a few feet in front of him, making every hallway and room a threat. Dynamic shadows and clever camera angles add to the tension. There is nothing quite like turning a dark corner and seeing the flash of a mannikin's legs as it comes to life the moment you see it... I admit I had to stop and catch my breath after one such occasion late in the game, when the level design cruelly, ingeniously robs you of all your items and leaves you utterly defenseless. James's radio is a great effect, emitting static when a monster is nearby. This creates some frightening moments of 'oh fuck- where is it??' type fear. As the game progresses, the environments become more and more ominous, bizarre and ugly, complimented by eerie, alien soundscapes and audio effects. Standout levels include an abandoned hospital with a dark secret, and a subterranean nightmare labyrinth.

One level in particular really stood out to me. I had to travel through a hole in a wall and down a dark, descending stone corridor. The corridor is very, very long and as I descended further and further, a dreadful thumping, droning sound grew gradually louder and louder. For almost a minute and a half I had to continue further, deeper down into the darkness as this unseen horror grew ever more present. By the time I reached the end, I was stressed, terrified and exhilarated. So simple, but so effective.

Come on, guys... turn off the camera, I can't go with you watching.

No game is perfect, and Silent Hill 2 has its flaws. The 'go here, get key, go back and open door' adventure style gameplay can get a little silly at times, with the usual survival horror problem rearing its ugly head - some of the puzzles defy all logic and common sense. There is one puzzle involving tinned orange juice that is completely counter-intuitive and plain retarded. Some of the items you must use on other items are hilariously random too, making for some oblique solutions to puzzles that, in real life, could have been solved with many other items in the inventory. Many dislike the controls, but once I changed them to the '2-D' setup, I found them to be fine. James is a normal guy and should not be an expert with firearms. The combat was never too taxing on normal mode, except for one or two instances where you become suddenly cornered. Ammo is plentiful and you never have to worry too much about running out, which, to be honest, I was thankful for. The camera bugs some people too, and though its tight angles and sudden changes did screw me over in one or two tight spots, it generally works well and adds to the tension. Voice acting is pretty bad throughout the game.

The only real reason not to play Silent Hill 2 is that it may be too much for some gamers, the constant tension and mind-fuckery may be too intense to deal with. To me, and many others, this game is the pinnacle of horror in gaming and a true classic. It's more than a game, it's a stunning piece of interactive art. Which brings me to my question for you all, do you think it will ever be bettered? Will a developer ever again have the vision and imagination to mess with our heads in this way? I certainly hope so and don't see why not. Until then, dig out your old PS2 or XBOX and revisit gaming's most memorable town.

Side note: I must reluctantly thank my XBOX 360 for having a meltdown and inspiring me to go back and play some classic games. Thanks, you stupid piece of crap.

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
Well written sir :) and - kudos on the picture captions hehe.

SH2 is and always will be my favourite survival horror and of the SH series in general :)

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Would you recommend it if I can't stand horror games?
That's really something I need to know because I've seen the reviews and I've heard the music, and, damnit, I want to play this.
But I can't stand horror games.
Oh, and good review, although you should definitely have talked about the music some more.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
A very nice review, well done. Loved the captions too.

I've never really looked into the SH series but have been warned by at least two people on the site to not pick up SH2 unless I want to end up having nightmares for a week.
Considering I've not had a decent dream for about 3 years, I'm willing to take the nightmares. :)

And don't mention your 360's death, mine may here you! ><

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
afaceforradio said:

SH2 is and always will be my favourite survival horror and of the SH series in general :)
Thanks man! I'm dying to get Silent Hill 3 but can't find it :( But yeah... Resident Evil is like care Bears compared to SH.

Sassafrass said:

I've never really looked into the SH series but have been warned by at least two people on the site to not pick up SH2 unless I want to end up having nightmares for a week.
Considering I've not had a decent dream for about 3 years, I'm willing to take the nightmares. :)

It's worth it, believe me! It's such a unique experience, a true piece of art. May your 360 never red ring, friend.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
That's really something I need to know because I've seen the reviews and I've heard the music, and, damnit, I want to play this.
Oh, and good review, although you should definitely have talked about the music some more.
It really depends... does your dislike of horror stem form being too afraid of them or from not liking it as a matter of taste?

If you find horror games too much in general then maybe avoid SH2 because it will mess with your head. I showed my GF two minutes of it and she screamed and had nightmares.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
MiracleOfSound said:
It's worth it, believe me! It's such a unique experience, a true piece of art. May your 360 never red ring, friend.
I shall look it up when I can next then. My PS2 will be happy for the run-out. :)

And my longest lasting one so far is my current 360.
I've had 3 or 4 (Can't remember, they broke so much) and they've all RRoD me. And the best thing is, al free repairs, all broke again. :p So I got a second hand one which has lasted exactly 1 year and 4 months and proven more reliable then a shop new one and a repaired one.

So I'm hopeful this one won't. *Crosses all crossable things*

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
It really depends... does your dislike of horror stem form being too afraid of them or from not liking it as a matter of taste?

If you find horror games too much in general then maybe avoid SH2 because it will mess with your head. I showed my GF two minutes of it and she screamed and had nightmares.
I am too afraid.
I literally can't stand being startled but what kills me more is the anxiety.
So, yeah, I can't bear horror.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
JourneyThroughHell said:
I am too afraid.
Huh. I don't think SH2 is really that scary in terms of startling. But if you can't stand being anxious, well, I think if you want to play SH2 you should probably leave the music down and take frequent breaks, and you might be able to handle it. It's not scary really, but the longer you play it and let yourself into the atmosphere of the game, the more it affects you.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
MiracleOfSound said:
JourneyThroughHell said:

I am too afraid.
In that case, maybe give it a miss. There really is no let up, it keeps you anxious, terrified and tense for the whole game... it might be too much for you, and you wouldn't be the only one... my buddy couldn't even finish the first level.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Great review buddy. But you could pay me to play this game. I'm very easily frightened.

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
afaceforradio said:

Thanks man! I'm dying to get Silent Hill 3 but can't find it :( But yeah... Resident Evil is like care Bears compared to SH.

Sassafrass said:

I have SH3 but no PS2 any more. It's not in a box, but if you want it, it's yours (if I can find it). IM me if you're interested cos I'm moving house soon and it'll only get thrown out :)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
Great review buddy. But you could pay me to play this game. I'm very easily frightened.
Thanks Pimp :)

And yeah... if you're easily frightened don't go near it, like I said earlier, my GF watched 3 or 4 minutes of it, screamed and had nightmares... and this is someone who got through the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Eden Lake :D

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
Wait, Did you just insult Resi?
Depends... If you consider 'not scary' an insult then yep!

afaceforradio said:
[
I have SH3 but no PS2 any more. It's not in a box, but if you want it, it's yours (if I can find it). IM me if you're interested cos I'm moving house soon and it'll only get thrown out :)
Nah don't go to trouble man, I'll find it eventually :) there's a great second hamd game place in my street and I'm sure it'll pop up in there at some point!

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Ninjamedic said:

afaceforradio said:
[
Nah don't go to trouble man, I'll find it eventually :) there's a great second hamd game place in my street and I'm sure it'll pop up in there at some point!
You sure? Would cost me less to send it to you than it would for you to buy it! If you change your mind, lemme know :)

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Pimppeter2 said:
Thanks Pimp :)

And yeah... if you're easily frightened don't go near it, like I said earlier, my GF watched 3 or 4 minutes of it, screamed and had nightmares... and this is someone who got through the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Eden Lake :D
Seriously? I don't know what's wrong with me then, I can't stand horror movies but I don't get scared at all by Silent Hill, or any horror game for that matter.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
afaceforradio said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Ninjamedic said:

afaceforradio said:
[
You sure? Would cost me less to send it to you than it would for you to buy it! If you change your mind, lemme know :)
If you want to give it away so bad, I'll take it ^_^

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
I am too afraid.
It's very scary, but it only has a small handful of jump-out scares... Silent Hill 2 deals in constant atmospheric tension and raw, basic primal fear, not such much in startling moments. It's unbelievably intense, yes, but I always found this game to be just horridly fascinating enough to be unable to look away.
By the way, this is from a gamer who had to return Dead Space to the rental store after 15 minutes because he nearly had a heart attack.

OT: Told you you'd like it. :)
Great review, as always! The only thing I probably would have done differently is add a few more descriptions of weird places you visit in the game.

Oh yeah, and how is it you didn't mention the narrow, often pitch-black corridors...? I mean, you mentioned them, but not explicitly - the house at the beginning and the motel complex in particular were fucking scary for me! Fear of the dark, disorientation and claustrophobia are among my top reasons for this game being so horrifying, because they're primal fears everyone has to some extent.

I do hope your girlfriend will be rid of the nightmares soon. Oh dear... ^^°

Oh, and Silent Hill 3 is still good, but ultimately out of its league when compared to SH2. It loses most of the symbolism that makes SH2 so powerful, dials the wet sticky-icky factor up to 110 and concentrates on the evil cult business from the eye-cancer-inducing first game, which makes having played that one a requirement of sorts if you want to enjoy the story to its fullest.