Miracle's Whip - SILENT HILL 2 (and why it's still the scariest game ever made)

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
DarthFennec said:
afaceforradio said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Ninjamedic said:
Wait, Did you just insult Resi?
Depends... If you consider 'not scary' an insult then yep!

afaceforradio said:
[
I have SH3 but no PS2 any more. It's not in a box, but if you want it, it's yours (if I can find it). IM me if you're interested cos I'm moving house soon and it'll only get thrown out :)
Nah don't go to trouble man, I'll find it eventually :) there's a great second hamd game place in my street and I'm sure it'll pop up in there at some point!
You sure? Would cost me less to send it to you than it would for you to buy it! If you change your mind, lemme know :)
If you want to give it away so bad, I'll take it ^_^
Cool :) it's no trouble at all; I'd rather send it to a loving home than chuck it in a bin! :D

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
afaceforradio said:
DarthFennec said:
afaceforradio said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Ninjamedic said:

afaceforradio said:
[
I have SH3 but no PS2 any more. It's not in a box, but if you want it, it's yours (if I can find it). IM me if you're interested cos I'm moving house soon and it'll only get thrown out :)
Nah don't go to trouble man, I'll find it eventually :) there's a great second hamd game place in my street and I'm sure it'll pop up in there at some point!
You sure? Would cost me less to send it to you than it would for you to buy it! If you change your mind, lemme know :)
If you want to give it away so bad, I'll take it ^_^
Cool :) it's no trouble at all; I'd rather send it to a loving home than chuck it in a bin! :D
Yep ^_^ I don't have a playstation 2 but I'll get one soon, and it's always a pity to see a good piece of software just go to waste.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
I almost feel like the game is made scarier by the level of graphics. They're detailed enough to represent what they need to, but not good enough to fully do the job, so your mind wanders and fills in the blanks; making it scary to you specifically.

Great review, this is probably the one series that I've wanted to play for the longest time but am too chicken to actually play. Saw silent hill 1 being played when I was younger just after it came out for an hour or so and got creeped the hell out. Needs to be done one day tho.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
afaceforradio said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Ninjamedic said:

afaceforradio said:
[
Really? Are you sure? I don't want you to go to any trouble! How could I repay you? Subscribe to your channel and 'like' every vid 60 times maybe? :D

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
afaceforradio said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Ninjamedic said:

afaceforradio said:
[
Really? Are you sure? I don't want you to go to any trouble! How could I repay you? Subscribe to your channel and 'like' every vid 60 times maybe? :D
Hehe yes! Do that! Sub my channel and tell everyone I'm better than Perez Hilton. Cos y'know, I am ;o) hehe

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
afaceforradio said:
[

Hehe yes! Do that! Sub my channel and tell everyone I'm better than Perez Hilton. Cos y'know, I am ;o) hehe
Ha ok, deal. What should I do so? PM you my address? You know I'm in Ireland right?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Danzaivar said:
I almost feel like the game is made scarier by the level of graphics. They're detailed enough to represent what they need to, but not good enough to fully do the job, so your mind wanders and fills in the blanks; making it scary to you specifically.
Very true, probably one of the only times the uncanny valley effect works to the benefit of the game.

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Danzaivar said:
Very true, probably one of the only times the uncanny valley effect works to the benefit of the game.
Eh? Wait, someone from America just sent me their address!!! Oops. I should tell them I meant you cos you're the one who said you didn't have it.

I'm in the UK so it won't be a prob :)

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
afaceforradio said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Danzaivar said:
Eh? Wait, someone from America just sent me their address!!! Oops. I should tell them I meant you cos you're the one who said you didn't have it.

Yeah I called it earlier in the thread because Miracle didn't want it. But I guess he still has dibs if he changes his mind.

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
DarthFennec said:
afaceforradio said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Danzaivar said:

Yeah I called it earlier in the thread because Miracle didn't want it. But I guess he still has dibs if he changes his mind.
Darth: I have other unwanted PS2 games, if you want I can send you a list. They're boxless so won't cost alot to send!

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
afaceforradio said:
DarthFennec said:
afaceforradio said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Danzaivar said:

Darth: I have other unwanted PS2 games, if you want I can send you a list. They're boxless so won't cost alot to send!
No, dude, it's not a big deal ^_^ As I said, I don't even have a ps2 at the moment. Although, if you're just going to throw them out anyway, and if you're planning on trying to convince me like you did with Miracle, I guess I can see a list ...

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
This was an entertaining read. Mind you, I'm still not going to play the game(call me chickenshit if you want XD), but you somehow made it sound appealing to me. Way to make my brain explode!
Thanks for sending me the link!

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
Would you recommend it if I can't stand horror games?
That's really something I need to know because I've seen the reviews and I've heard the music, and, damnit, I want to play this.
But I can't stand horror games.
Oh, and good review, although you should definitely have talked about the music some more.
As someone who also generally finds "horror" games to be nothing more than gorefests and jump scares, I would recommend SH2 just for being so odd and disturbing. It's one of the few horror games where I actually felt powerless against the creatures that were assaulting my character. Sure, you can bash 'em with a stick or shoot 'em a few times, but you just know that more are waiting around some dark corner.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Nicely done. I commend you for not mentioning the final corridor before the final boss. Any mention of what happens in there is almost always a big spoiler.

EDIT:
Silent Hill 2 isn't really all that scary while you play it. The scares really start once you turn off the game, and suddenly you find yourself thinking of it.

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Until then, dig out your old PS2 or XBOX and revisit gaming's most memorable town.
Thanks for this excellent and well written review. I might just go and give this a try now. I've been putting off playing proper horror games for way too long now, even though they've always tempted me.

And I'm certainly missing out on a large chunk of gaming culture by turning down Silent Hill constantly.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
I bought this and got quite into it, but then I stopped playing it for some time. When I went back to it, I had no diea whatsoever I was doing. I'll probably start it again so i know what's happening throughout.