Miracle's Whip - SILENT HILL 2 (and why it's still the scariest game ever made)

devildog1170

Apr 17, 2009
I'm honestly too afraid to play this game. Even during the day I get sucked into its atmosphere. I think I'm still on the motel in the beginning of the game.

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
Silent Hill 2 is still one of the best games I've ever played. I still need to try other games in the series, I try Homecoming but I hated that. From what I hear most fans hated homecoming.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Is it bad form to resurrect a review?

Well, too bad.

Fantastic review you've written, here. Personally, I thought Silent Hill 3 was scarier .

If you ever play it, I wanna see the review. While the enemies have less significance than in Silent Hill 2, the horribly warping locations have more.

I'll put it this way: Otherworld Hospital left me physically sick for two days after playing it, that's how disgusting and well-imagined it was. And the final Otherworld section left me sicker. Nothing like a sudden explosion of blood flowing UP the walls to scare the FREAKING CRAP out of you.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
I am too afraid.
I literally can't stand being startled but what kills me more is the anxiety.
So, yeah, I can't bear horror.
Sorry for being the tenth guy to quote you, but if you're hankering to play it, you might want to check out the first 10 minutes of a Let's Play, so you can get a feel for what the game would be like.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realise this was a resurrected thread. You probably don't even remember posting.

as for OT: Great read, Silent Hill 2 is one of my favourite games and I'm glad OP hit the nail on the head. 5 stars, thumbs up and all that jazz.

For me, one thing that made SH2 more scary (and games like Manhunt) was exactly because of the now dated software. The falseness of the footsteps and the awkward controls alienated me and made me feel as if I wasn't in control, which is just what a good horror game should do. the rigidity of it made me feel as if the game wasn't quite right, which it wasn't. And I think that's been a problem for more recent games; he hardware is too good. Things look too real, so it's easy to tell danger from a distance. For example, in Silent Hill 2, it's hard to distinguish monsters and scenery from a distance, where as current hardware eliminates that problem and with it, the uncertainty and fear.

Oh god I've gone all cross eyed.

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
It was a good review and I was glad that you mentioned the bad parts of the game too, far to many reviewers have a bias opinion and wont give half a minute to the negative side of the game or movie.

Although one thing came to my mind when you were mentioning Horror games, why no Penumbra or Amnesia the Dark Decent? Both of those game are poop your pants scary and not due to monsters popping out randomly, I think Amnesia, the latter, is a really great game that you would love playing if you like Silent Hill 2. It is only $20 on Steam, $10 on a sale, I would definitely recommend it to a lover of Horror or a lover of great games. If you decide to play it then let me know, because I would like to know if I could convince someone to buy a great game.

Other than that, great review and I look forward to more reviews from you, you might just have yourself a regular :D

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Dimensional Vortex said:
Although one thing came to my mind when you were mentioning Horror games, why no Penumbra or Amnesia the Dark Decent? Both of those game are poop your pants scary and not due to monsters popping out randomly, I think Amnesia, the latter, is a really great game that you would love playing if you like Silent Hill 2. It is only $20 on Steam, $10 on a sale, I would definitely recommend it to a lover of Horror or a lover of great games. If you decide to play it then let me know, because I would like to know if I could convince someone to buy a great game.
Ummmm, did you check the date of the review? Amnesia wasn't even out.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Dimensional Vortex said:
[

It was a good review and I was glad that you mentioned the bad parts of the game too, far to many reviewers have a bias opinion and wont give half a minute to the negative side of the game or movie.

Other than that, great review and I look forward to more reviews from you, you might just have yourself a regular :D
Hey!

Thanks for the kind words. If you look at the date of the review you'll see it was written a while back, before Amnesia was not released yet. I have never played Penumbra but I've heard it's great :)

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Dimensional Vortex said:
[

Hey!

Thanks for the kind words. If you look at the date of the review you'll see it was written a while back, before Amnesia was not released yet. I have never played Penumbra but I've heard it's great :)
Really? Because it was the first in the user reviews section so I thought it would be recently released. I didn't check the date because I thought the game I was talking about, Amnesia, had been released in 2010 which it was, and I thought this review was only recent.