Mirror's Edge: Catalyst is "Not a Sequel", But Honors The Original

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst is "Not a Sequel", But Honors The Original

DICE promises a big showing of Mirror's Edge: Catalyst at E3 this year.

The original press release [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/mirrors%20edge?os=mirrors+edge] exclaiming that the game is real, has a title (Mirror's Edge: Catalyst) and will be shown off at this year's upcoming E3.

"The team has spent a lot of time re-evaluating every aspect of the game and making it a new experience," said DICE, stressing "This is not a sequel, this is not Mirror's Edge 2."

For those of you hearing the words "new experience" and "not a sequel" and are terrified of the game morphing from its unique free-running parkour simulation to some sort of samey cover shooter, fret not. "We have landed on a vision that honors the first game - pushing the boundaries of first person movement and diving deeper into the story behind our heroine Faith - but also brings a lot of great new, interesting gameplay and features to the experience for our players," explained DICE.

I guess we will just have to wait until E3 to see what DICE's exciting new vision for Mirror's Edge is.

Source: DICE [http://www.mirrorsedge.com/#blog]

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
fret not. "We have landed on a vision that honors the first game - pushing the boundaries of first person movement and diving deeper into the story behind our heroine Faith - but also brings a lot of great new, interesting gameplay and features to the experience for our players," explained DICE.
Im not convinced on the "fret not" in that description, to be honest.

First person movement, great... But I dont really want "lots of great new interesting gameplay and features", I just want a refinement of the gameplay of the first game. There was some things that needed sorting from the first one (guns and combat, etc) sure, but they make it sound like theyre adding a whole lot of new things which I worry is only going to detract from the streamlined experience that was a big part of the appeal of the first one IMHO. "Lots of features", even if theyre great features, is not what Mirror's Edge was about to me.

But we'll see at E3. Maybe they mean something different to what Im imagining. ("Maybe its not published by EA", replies the cynical side of my brain)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'm scaaaaaaaaaaaaaared

This has the potential to be the best of this E3... but it also has the potential to be the absolute worst. Maybe they've figured out that giving guns to players was a terrible idea, because no one ever tried evasion, where the game shined?

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
"This is not a sequel, this is not Mirror's Edge 2."

Except it is, by the very nature of it existing and all.

Five Nights at Freddy's 2 is very much a sequel to the original game, and yet the big twist there is that

it's a prequel.

Don't mince words, DICE. It's a sequel to the original game. End of.

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
Z of the Na said:
"This is not a sequel, this is not Mirror's Edge 2."

Except it is, by the very nature of it existing and all.

Five Nights at Freddy's 2 is very much a sequel to the original game, and yet the big twist there is that

it's a prequel.

Don't mince words, DICE. It's a sequel to the original game. End of.
I mean, sure, if we ignore the definitions of 'sequel,' 'sequential,' and 'prequel.' Definitions are all semantics, anyways, right? /s

OT: Yep, terrified. Last I heard, none or very few of the original staff is involved with this project. So I'm not expecting too much.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Does anyone know if Sarkeesian is still involved in this thing? If so, then fuck this game. Fuck it twice. Fuck it in the ear.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lets hope that the information they give us will be promising and of course the end result is amazing. good to hear we get more infos about the characters and maybe the story it self. this sure lagged in the first game.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
I don't know why I like the idea of a dev calling a do-over so much, but there's just something simultaneously very amusing and kind of admirable about it. They aren't just doing the 'and another one', they want to go back, do the idea again and try to nail the landing a bit better. I can get behind that, and in spite of some particular faults I still loved the first one. So count me on board.

Captcha: "Yeah right"

What is it with the sarcasm from you lately? It's freaking me out.

LysanderNemoinis said:
Does anyone know if Sarkeesian is still involved in this thing? If so, then fuck this game. Fuck it twice. Fuck it in the ear.
That was an unsubstantiated rumor from the beginning. Fear not.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
See, I was never under the impression that it was a sequel. It kept being billed as a prequel if I recall right, which I didn't like. I was happy to get more Mirror's Edge, especially if they refined it, but I don't like it when stories go backward when the current story isn't really wrapped up. Mirror's Edge ended on a bit of a cliff hanger. Yeah, the sister is safe, but there are still some serious problems to deal with.

But still, I will happily pick this game up. :)

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
See, I was never under the impression that it was a sequel. It kept being billed as a prequel if I recall right, which I didn't like. I was happy to get more Mirror's Edge, especially if they refined it, but I don't like it when stories go backward when the current story isn't really wrapped up. Mirror's Edge ended on a bit of a cliff hanger. Yeah, the sister is safe, but there are still some serious problems to deal with.

the same thing can be said about serious sam too. "to be continued" after the credits (the most hilarious one i might ad) of part 2 and part 3 was before the very first encounter(BFE). ok, serious sam isnt really a story driven game but still head scratching as to why part 3 went in to this direction instead continuing were part 2 left off.

but maybe, and its a big maybe, they will surprise us with some characters we didnt really see in the first game (like these big fish) and/or will fill in some gabs that were unclear in the first title.
lets hope during the E3 they will reveal enough information what we can expect in the game.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
LysanderNemoinis said:
Nah, take it from someone who pretty much disagrees with all her videos, she's not on the project and that was just a rumour thrown around for ages.

Also... DICE, if you ruin the minimalist platformer that I sunk weeks of my life into (Damn time trials...) AND ruin Battlefront Three... Well I know I, and likely a lot of the rest of the internet, will be purchasing stock of torches and pitchforks.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
If it's not a sequel or prequel, it does not "honor" the original by default. It is a reboot. And reboot of a franchise with one game in it is both ridiculous and stupid. In any case, they also said it will be open world, so I lost my final bits of interest towards this project.

SamTheNewb

Apr 16, 2013
I'm guessing what they mean is that is is going to be so different from the original, that they can't justify calling a sequel. But then again, this is DICE, and their perception on what a sequel means... well from their history, what constitutes a sequel is quite restrictive.

It is a sequel, just not a DICE (style) sequel.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
tbh I don't trust DICE at all so I'm not even looking forward to this despite the original Mirrors Edge being one of my favourite games.

Vlado

Independent Game Journalist
Feb 21, 2015
"Great new, interesting gameplay" reads to me like it'll be losing (or at least changing/dumbing down) the thing that made the original stand out - parkour. Somehow, Faith's model got much uglier, too, which is extra disappointing because they have better hardware now...

I was really looking for a sequel that would fix the glaring flaws of an otherwise amazing game, but it doesn't look like we'll be getting that. It seems the Mirror's Edge vision died at some time after the first game.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Metalrocks said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

the same thing can be said about serious sam too. "to be continued" after the credits (the most hilarious one i might ad) of part 2 and part 3 was before the very first encounter(BFE). ok, serious sam isnt really a story driven game but still head scratching as to why part 3 went in to this direction instead continuing were part 2 left off.
Because both Second Encounter and Serious Sam 2 (two unrelated games) had both a conclusion. Even First Encounter had somewhat of an ending - at least enough to not call it a cliffhanger.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Rituro said:
Is this still an Origin exclusive or will it come to Steam?
No official word on it as far as I know, but considering every game EA has published since Mass Effect 3 was an Origin exclusive, I guess this one will also be exclusive.

OT: So it's a reboot? They can just say "It's a reboot". It's like they don't want to use this term because they think it puts people off.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
So we're just supposed to ignore that the last thing we saw on this was all about the combat and didn't seem to involve any freerunning whatsoever?

Yeah, I'm pretty terrified about this. Each and every sentence you quoted makes me more scared. Especially when they've also thrown around comments like "the original ME was too difficult".