Mirror's Edge For PC Coming In January

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mirror's Edge For PC Coming In January

Just as Mirror's Edge is launching on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Electronic Arts has announced that the PC version will ship in January 2009.

A PC version of the highly anticipated first-person action game was known to be in the works, but an actual release date has been kept firmly under wraps until today's announcement. EA also revealed that the PC launch will coincide with the release of new Mirror's Edge DLC from EA studio DICE [http://www.dice.se/], the developer behind the original game, for both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game.

Mirror's Edge tells the story of Faith, a courier living in a dystopian future in which all communications and data movement is closely monitored by the government. As a result, the only way to confidentially move information is through the use of "runners" like Faith, who employ vertigo (and chunder [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/11/3/])-inducing maneuvers through the dizzying heights of a vast cityscape. When her sister is framed for murder, Faith finds herself on the run from a totalitarian regime bent on her elimination.

"We set out to create a game unlike any other; from the core gameplay controls to the main character and the look of the world, we wanted to give gamers a new experience," said DICE Senior Producer Owen O'Brien. "We're eager for players to experience what true first-person movement feels like in a game. Faith is a very human heroine with no super powers or even a weapon that has been put in an extraordinary situation where she must rely on her agility, intelligence and strength to stay alive."

Unlike other first-person games, Mirror's Edge is noteworthy for having no HUD, as well as the focus on "body awareness" - visible arms, legs and even torso that enhance the feeling of real motion in the game's environment. Some of that feeling has been a little too real, even for some seasoned FPS veterans - see above - leading to the inclusion of an optional, small targeting reticule as a focal point for woozy gamers.

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
Goody, I'm currently hooked on Fallout and Farcry with Left for Dead hooking to my IV sometime in the next few weeks.

January is perfect, hope they don't fuck up the port. Or are wasting time with new DRM that will take me a Google search to get rid of and leave me once again wondering if I should have saved effort and money by just going strait home rather than via the store and getting it all from a Google search. It?s sad to think that anti-piracy measures are driving me to consider what its supposed to prevent.

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
Do we know if we're getting any extra content cause of the wait?
an editor would be nice.

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
IGN gave it a 7.3, Is that fair? or the result of the reviewer being a jaded touch-hole? The main gripe was repetition, but I don't think that is fair unless every level is the same as the one before. I was looking forward to this game and will still buy it, but does the score that IGN gave it evidence of the indutry's bassackwards-ness?

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
the monopoly guy said:
If it is on STEAM (which I doubt) I'm buying it.
Otherwise I'll just play it at my friends'.
Shhh! Don't tell them that! Now they'll never release a PC port....in fact, if they read your comment, they'll never release another PC game again, and you'll be responsible for killing gaming on the PC!

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Good news is good. This game look amazing, I haven't played it myself but anyone here have it and find it to be great or what?

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
fuck EA. they cant do anything right. their releasing ports late, they cant be bothered to release a game on pc at the same time as console. its probably to give them time to at their fucking drm. maybe if i dont install it within two days of purchase i wont be able to install it ever. who knows. im thinking that if they put their stupid DRM on mirrors edge, its gonna drive me to pirate it. i didnt plan to, i wanted to spend money, i think that dice deserves it, but im not buying a game that i wont really own.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
josh797 said:
fuck EA. they cant do anything right. their releasing ports late, they cant be bothered to release a game on pc at the same time as console. its probably to give them time to at their fucking drm. maybe if i dont install it within two days of purchase i wont be able to install it ever. who knows. im thinking that if they put their stupid DRM on mirrors edge, its gonna drive me to pirate it. i didnt plan to, i wanted to spend money, i think that dice deserves it, but im not buying a game that i wont really own.
"fuck EA"? When you don't even know what the DRM's like? Also, you do know PC gamers are getting a better version?

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
curlycrouton said:
josh797 said:
"fuck EA"? When you don't even know what the DRM's like? Also, you do know PC gamers are getting a better version?
fuck EA because the DRM for Spore sucked, and if thats the way they are moving, itll be just as crap for mirrors edge. also what makes you think pc will be a better version? the DLC mentioned in the article is only for ps3 and 360

pjhardly

Oct 15, 2008
speaking of Mirror's Edge, they are releasing an accompanying Remix EP. The focus will the the game's theme song, "Still Alive" and features 5 remixes from some of music's biggest names!

the Remix EP is digitally available NOW!

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
pjhardly said:
speaking of Mirror's Edge, they are releasing an accompanying Remix EP. The focus will the the game's theme song, "Still Alive" and features 5 remixes from some of music's biggest names!

the Remix EP is digitally available NOW!
1. You sound like you work for them.
2. The song's called Still Alive? This is a travesty to the good name of Portal!

Solo508

Jul 19, 2008
It looks like its going to be a great game but I simply wont buy it. I'm not going to wait that long for a game thats already come out just so I can play it on my choice of platform. I'm not going to pay EA more money so they can make more Console - PC ports months after the release. Assholes.