Misc: My Favorite Skyrim Mods So Far

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
My Favorite Skyrim Mods So Far

Here are three of the best mods I?ve installed so far.

Read Full Article

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I would like something to stop me from accidentally selling my armor and causing me to go naked, while donating several thousand coins to the merchant when I want to buy it back.

(this is largely caused by the game getting confused by mouse controls)

Also, you have not mentioned the mods that change sleeping bags and horses to My Little Pony themed colors. These mods are largely entertaining for many, many days.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
The mods sound pretty cool so far.
Can't wait to see what they do with the tools.

Seriously, Bethesda should be hiring these people...even if it's just freelance work to help with QC...make that Especially to help with QC.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Another mod to check out if you haven't already is the 4gb ram mode. I have found that a majority of my crashes stop occurring when I have it active. Results may vary, as usual.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I use that interface and the smoke/ember ones as well! Really good.

There's many texture mods I think are good, if you sort by endorsements on skyrimnexus.com in the texture/model section you'll find several for better weapons, magic marks (the burn marks, etc), armor, clothing, and hd textures of the world as well as clutter, chairs, shelves etc.

I also think the face mods are pretty important. I'm using smooth faces, hd faces, hd eyes... I had "smooth bodies" or something but it made it look bad, for example old witches would have dirty wrinkled faces and clean smooth skin. Looked dumb IMO.

Otherwise the one thing that's really good is the LAA 4GB launcher.

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
*Sigh* Yes, I get we get that Skyrim is meant to be a good game, I mean, I've played it, and it's ok, not really my sorta thing, but ok none the less, but really, I don't see articles like this for any other games. This is just silly, why give Skyrim articles about it's mods, it's just another game in the long run, and by this time next year, we'll all be gushing about some other game that's 'Teh best fuckin thang evar!"

Sep 14, 2009
ah the stars/colored sky one is my favorite personally, it's absolutely beautiful being on the peak of a mountain and looking on the horizon to see an absolutely gorgeous filled sky of stars and colors with a HD moon...

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Knife-28 said:
*Sigh* Yes, I get we get that Skyrim is meant to be a good game, I mean, I've played it, and it's ok, not really my sorta thing, but ok none the less, but really, I don't see articles like this for any other games. This is just silly, why give Skyrim articles about it's mods, it's just another game in the long run, and by this time next year, we'll all be gushing about some other game that's 'Teh best fuckin thang evar!"
You said it yourself, it's not your thing so of course you'd feel that way about this article but the modding community for The Elder Scrolls is absolutely huge with thousands of mods across the series. Also you gotta consider the fact that with most games nowadays having on average a single player campaign of 8 hours or so, a game where people have put in 150+ hours without actually doing the main quest line is something special.

Frankly I wouldn't say nay to a weekly/monthly article showcasing the best mods.

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
anthony87 said:
Knife-28 said:
You said it yourself, it's not your thing so of course you'd feel that way about this article but the modding community for The Elder Scrolls is absolutely huge with thousands of mods across the series. Also you gotta consider the fact that with most games nowadays having on average a single player campaign of 8 hours or so, a game where people have put in 150+ hours without actually doing the main quest line is something special.

Frankly I wouldn't say nay to a weekly/monthly article showcasing the best mods.
That's the thing, if this was the start or part of a Weekly/Monthly article for mods it'd be ok, but if this is a one of thing, well, it's just a little stupid.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
NO! Don't send people to file planet for mods, send them here,

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/index.php

They already have a mod manager,and this sight is part of the network of mod sites for fallout3/NV Obliv and others

Also, yes, everyone likes mods, and there are already a plethora of youtube videos, and articles on the net reviewing these mods and others.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Also, if there are any mod authors reading this, would you please make something that allows me to make more than one item at a time. Clicking the "Would you like to craft this item?" box fifty times to make fifty iron helmets to level up Smithing is just bloody annoying.
There's a slider for the amount you want to craft right under the picture of the item, isn't there?

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Before the latest patch I had about 12 mods for graphics installed, and the patch deleted the menu on the main screen so i couldn't play, load or exit. So I had to delete them all. I will wait for the mod tools to come out before I get into modding my Skyrim.

ALSO OP should not be sending people to fileplanet for mods - head here: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Knife-28 said:
Most big game sites already have an article like this out, I presume this is the Escapist playing catch up.

Also there is no other mod community that even compares to the TES mod community, that is why they get an article.

Virmire

Sep 25, 2011
I hate not having the super-computer required to get this game on the PC. I have the PS3 version.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
So far I've got:
Skyrim flora overhaul
Realistic snow
FXAA Injector
Realistic blood
Realistic water
HD Textures
Realistic smoke and embers
Archery realism tweak
HQ faces
Majoras mask moon
4gig launcher

I also fiddled with the script to reduce the draw on shadows, improving overall performance and making shadows higher res at closer distances.

Combined they all make the game look really good.

Zinaxos

Feb 9, 2009
My favorite so far is the killing kids mod. Not because I like killing kids, but that those kids being invincible breaks the immersion for me. I have a few other's but that one's the best.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
more realistic blood mang. It's all about the realistic blood mod!

That and all the facial feature updates. And the night time sky.

Someone already mentioned it but also the 4gb fix.

Flora overhaul is good. I got a stone texture one. Can't remember all of them at the top of my head..

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Wow, 5 mainline ES games and Bethesda STILL can't make a non-disastrous inventory system? Pathetic.

And I will ask again, why doesn't Bethesda try to work out some outsourcing contracts with some of these mod designers? I realise they could take a PR hit of "they're too lazy to fix their own problems, so they just hire some guys on the internet to do it," but that's a fair sight better than "they're too lazy to fix their own problems, so they don't bother".