Misconceptions about gaming/gamers that annoy you the most.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It's safe to assume that everybody reading this is a 'gamer'. It is also likely that most of you have also come across a person or outside group who has had a misconception about gaming or gamers.

So what's the most frustrating one you have heard or had to deal with?

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
Legion said:
It's safe to assume that everybody reading this is a 'gamer'. It is also likely that most of you have also come across a person or outside group who has had a misconception about gaming or gamers.

I hate when people assume that's the only thing I do or use a computer for. I repair radars and 3D printers, and spend a lot of my work time and free time on a computer. I do a lot more than play some stupid mmo and eat Cheetos.

Also, everyone I've tried to get into gaming at all always assumes they are all super complicated, and just refuses to try things I recommend.

Oh, and the belief that we are all super anti-social and hate talking to people or going outside.

I mean I could do this all day, but I'll stop here.

saints1544

Nov 23, 2009
The idea that gamers are fat, lazy, awkward people. Im in shape, athletic, and love going out on weekends with friends.

Louie Clark said:
I hate when people assume that's the only thing I do or use a computer for. I repair radars and 3D printers, and spend a lot of my work time and free time on a computer. I do a lot more than play some stupid mmo and eat Cheetos.
I work and have worked on PCs and am IT for a foundry now. When Im home I do NOT want to work on more stuff and usually do only use my PC for one MMO or playing old ROMs. And I hate it when people say, "hey, you know about electronics and stuff, could you help my neighbors grandmas, cats, best friend out for me..... for free.... on your day off....". Pisses me off sooooooo much.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Many people, one of them being my sister, seem to think that if you play shooter games (like Call of Duty, for example) that you think you know a lot about guns but really don't know anything. I fail to see how the two are related. I play shooters and know about guns and gun safety. I'm in know way an expert, but I don't know absolutely nothing.

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
saints1544 said:
words about people wanting you to do everything
Oh god, how did I forget that. I can't tell you how many computers I have been asked to fix, and no one ever offers to buy me beer or anything like that. I used to just hold onto it for a week then give it back and say I tried. Now I just flat out say get lost.

Similar, although this probably has something to do with the fact I am a radar tech as well, I used to get people in my Army unit asking me things like this all the damn time: "Hey you play xbox right and fix radars? Can you fix my xbox?" SURE BECAUSE THEY ARE THE SAME THING. And I have xbox replacement parts coming out of my ass. Just because I was always playing a console in Korea, does not mean I can magically fix them for your stupid ass.

Oh, once a guy told me he thought his monitors RAM was bad.

Assassin Xaero said:
Many people, one of them being my sister, seem to think that if you play shooter games (like Call of Duty, for example) that you think you know a lot about guns but really don't know anything. I fail to see how the two are related. I play shooters and know about guns and gun safety. I'm in know way an expert, but I don't know absolutely nothing.
That's a big one too, and really annoys me because of my military time. I get a lot of kids online thinking they know all this crap about weapons and how to shoot, et cetera. It's a little different, guys. You don't control a firearm with a controller (well, unless you have a bad-ass Avenger or tank or something). I am pretty sure there's a whole generation now that think when you fire a weapon, the bullet goes exactly where your crosshairs were. That's not how bullet physics work, kids. They travel up after leaving the barrel then arc down. Science!

America's Army, on PC at least, did a really good job at recreating the use of an M16 at the range. Best I've seen in a game.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Well i'm lazy and socially awkward so let's rule that out ...

Oh i'm black so people assume i play CoD , madden and GTA ... While smoking weed and fucking bitches . I don't do any of those . I like Jrpgs and fightif games . When they learn this they say i'm black on the outside only . Racist stereotypes for the win!

saints1544

Nov 23, 2009
Louie Clark said:
All of what he just said.
Dear God, if I get another, "Hey you went to school for Computers, can you look at my (insert brand) phone?" Exact same response goes through my head as yours.

And the monitor RAM is a new one on me, funny but sad simultaneously.

I do also want to punchasize every 11 yr old COD player when they try and talk gun BS. Live in the country and have been shooting since 11, think I might know your BS when I hear it....

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
krazykidd said:
Well i'm lazy and socially awkward so let's rule that out ...

Oh i'm black so people assume i play CoD , madden and GTA ... While smoking weed and fucking bitches . I don't do any of those . I like Jrpgs and fightif games . When they learn this they say i'm black on the outside only . Racist stereotypes for the win!
Haha, my roommate used to rage over that same thing when people would ask him to come play Madden or some NBA game. He'd make a scene so they'd never bother him again. Was pretty funny.

I had a character on an rpg named RiceBall once when I was a teenager, and I cannot tell you how many times I was called the most racist Asian slurs, usually combined into some new racist-baby of words. Then they would call me a liar when I would point out the fact I was a white kid.

That being said, it's a misconception that all gamers are like that. Like the kids that just scream at people on XBL, and basically sexually harass any females they come across. I'd say it's the norm for us to be pretty damn accepting of anyone. It's just that those people are the more vocal ones. Things like Child's Play show that we're not all bad people.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
That I only play games with/because of my boyfriend.

I guess it's because it's seen as a `guy thing` but it's damn irritating. I also get this from people who are gamers but don't know me personally. (Especially when they ask my boyfriend how he got me to play games, that's super annoying).

I don't have many I guess cause people don't usually know I play games unless we're talking about that. And because I surround myself with other gamers so I can have a nice nerd-out.

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
I hate how I can't group with a girl on a game without rumors starting that we are dating or something. That happens a lot in real life as well I guess, but it's caused me endless drama (and lost friends) via online games.

Hey look, we are having fun together we must totally be doing it via the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Apparently they rot mah brainz. Sure i'll just go and watch men kick a ball around a field instead. Cuz that's a lot more interesting and intellectually stimulating.

What an awesome national sport, really.

Ok, I am an anti-social person who dislikes having to deal with people I don't know but that isn't even remotely caused by gaming. Trust me, i'm a professional.

Melon_Commander

Jun 14, 2011
That just because I enjoy MMOs I'm fat, lazy and anti-social. There seems to be a real hatred and ignorance regarding MMOs and their players, people who know nothing about these games seem to have invented these totally incorrect stereotypes.

I play MMOs, I also go to the gym regularly and have lots of friends. MMO does not mean antisocial, I actually enjoy MMOs mostly due to the social side of them, talking with strangers online whilst slaying mobs. These conversations make it fun and I've met some really cool people online.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Here comes a old golden one:
I still love and play FPS games so i`m going postal one day for sure. Everyone who plays those killer games like counter strike does it sooner or later, it`s the law.

hoboman29

Jul 5, 2011
I hate the misconception that we are all raging fanboys who get angry if you say the slightest negative against a console/game/franchise/hat that we remotely like. I also hate the 12 year old and frat boy gamer stereotypes can't I just be a white boy who's not 12 or a frat. I also hate the stereotype that we just play the same game every day because I for one play rpg's/ fighting games/fps's/platformers.

So I'm not the only anti-social gamer in this forum. For me its less of a gaming thing and more of a I think people are shitheads thing.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I play games, therefore I know how a computer works. This doesn't make me angry, but I'm quick to point out that I only play games. I have no idea how a computer works, what's wrong with yours, or what type of whatever you need for it. Heck, I can't even figure out how to install Diablo III on my own computer.

I play games, therefore I have no real athletic skill/all I do is sit around. Ha ha, no. We'll see if you keep thinking that after we run a race, or play any game that involves speed. Now, I'm no pro athlete, but I tend to be in better shape than non-gamers.

I'm a gamer, therefore I don't have a girlfriend. Yeah, well...okay, fine. You got me on that one. Every time I start talking about video games, or a girl at work sees me reading Sailor Moon or another manga, I get the smile and, "Boys and their video games" or "You're one of those types, aren't you?"

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
-When I play shooters and people say I don't know jack shit about guns just because of that. No I know about guns because I actually shoot them in real life dip shit.

-My mother has this idea that people online aren't actually real. That the online multiplayer is actually just computers or a 40 year old pedophile on the other side. Sigh, old people.

-Fantasy games that aren't ACTION N GUNS N TITS are for 'losers' with 'no lifes'. I don't even bother with these people. These are the same idiots who say '1v1 me in COD'. Sad that even fellow gamers can be complete morons.

-"Only children play video games". Just a stupid notion and won't even address it when it's brought up.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
"Oh you play video games/are a fanboy, you have no life."
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
Yup, 3.5 grade average, college acceptance, work experience in the health care business, a social life with some of the best friends he has ever had, works out 2 times a week, PLAYS VIDEO GAMES, has movie nights with the bros, strives for a degree in animation/writing, voice acts, animates, dances, and writes screenplay in his spare time.

Ah the No Life card. Either they be trolling, or a majority of the world is stricken with blindness.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Legion said:

I hate that when I mention that I play alot of games, it seems to translate to people as:

"I have no life and women are repulsed by my every word." -_-

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
DugMachine said:
These are the same idiots who say '1v1 me in COD'. Sad that even fellow gamers can be complete morons.
What winds me up are people who spout that crap in team based games. As if killing you proves anything when the game is normally played with a group of people supporting one another.

It'd be like claiming you are better than a professional footballer (soccer) if you beat them at penalties.