Misconceptions about gaming/gamers that annoy you the most.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Louie Clark said:
I hate when people assume that's the only thing I do or use a computer for.
Reverse that for me.
I know some gaming stuff about computers, and I get scared when people expect me to do smart shit.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
It's funny, actually (or maybe it's not, I have a weird sense of humor) but I fit the stereotype perfectly. It's just that games didn't cause any of it which is the funny part.

Also, apparently I know everything about computers ever because I spend most of my time on them.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
The misconception that I "have" to play the hyped-up AAA titles to get my gamer's badge.

dfb1999

Oct 7, 2012
When people assume I have FIFA or CoD games.
I have FIFA 11 because it was £1. And I played MW2 because my friend let me borrow it while he borrowed Uncharted 2 from me.
Just because those are what you think of when you think of games, it doesn't mean I have them.
If you listen to pop music, it doesn't mean you have the Justin Beiber albums, does it?

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
DugMachine said:
-"Only children play video games". Just a stupid notion and won't even address it when it's brought up.
This.
I hate when people bring this thing up. It's just so wrong on so many levels that I literally lose brain cells every time someone brings this bullshit up.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
The most frustrating one I've had to deal with is the idea that there are no female gamers, so people feel free to mock me as forever being alone, and that pressure extends to the girls, making them not want or not allowed to be interested in gaming.

So they use a stereotype and it's mention perpetuates it.

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
trty00 said:
That because we're "nerds," we like to watch the god-damn Big Bang Theory! In truth, any self respecting nerd watches Community.
Seconding this one.

Also that we don't get laid (often because we find the big-breasted video game woman to be so bloody attractive). Neither of those things could be more further from the truth.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
You are considered a hardcore gamer if you only play CoD and Madden. Ya know, those 'bro' games.

And games only need multiplayer in order to be good.

That pretty much sums up every 'gamer' I've met in real life.

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
I get annoyed most about the out of shape / wimpy stereotype...
I've been in martial arts since I was young, I've never been that out of shape.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Honestly, the misconceptions I get from "the general public" isn't nearly as annoying as the ones I get one gamer to another, if you see what I mean...

But alright, if I have to choose, I do find it rather frustrating when a game as a medium for telling a story or inspiring a feeling is just discounted entirely. Right, the medium as a whole isn't exactly in the same league as Picasso or flippin' Bulgakov, but steady on, we're getting there.

A game enviroment is unique in that you're actively taking part in the story. You're in the thick of things, in a way very different from being a passive audience. If more game studios could keep that opportunity in mind a bit more (and remain unmolested while they try), we could really get places.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
The idea that games are children's toys that absorb all my time and that by playing a game I'm clearly not ready for 'adult' society.

Fuck that attitude. I'm in the transition point at my life but normally I work hard wherever I'm working, pay taxes, pay my bills, volunteer at local groups, and talk to my cats when no-one is around. All these things combined make me incredibly dull a regular 'adult' in most people's mind, but throw in the fact that the pictures on my television move in response to the controller in my hands negates all the above and I become a child barely able to apprehend adult matters.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
I hate it when people think that gamers are all exentric loners who are overweight and eat Cheetos all day long or the stuff that Android keeps naming it's software after. I know a few gamers who do fit that description, but the far majority are normal people, including myself, in reasonably good shape, with a healthy diet and has plenty of fun hanging out with friends. Gaming is more on the side.

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
OldDirtyCrusty said:
Here comes a old golden one:
I still love and play FPS games so i`m going postal one day for sure. Everyone who plays those killer games like counter strike does it sooner or later, it`s the law.
We should euthanize you before you go crazy. We totally should. You know it. Do not attempt to resist.

OT: People who play RPGs are smelly and spend 23 hours playing them vidya games.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
halofreak123 said:
OldDirtyCrusty said:
Here comes a old golden one:
I still love and play FPS games so i`m going postal one day for sure. Everyone who plays those killer games like counter strike does it sooner or later, it`s the law.
We should euthanize you before you go crazy. We totally should. You know it. Do not attempt to resist.

OT: People who play RPGs are smelly and spend 23 hours playing them vidya games.
Well, I DO have 220 hours logged in Skyrim, and I'm trying to get into Morrowind...

OT: The "kiddy" argument always gets me, as well as everything requiring multiplayer.

Also, Call of Duty. Everything about it. Just. No.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
True female gamers are uglier than sin and are completely un-dateable, feminist annoyances trying to get into the boy club house with their icky girl cooties. If a female gamer is even remotely average or attractive looking, they are lying for attention or actually only play casual games on the Wii.

ShadowGandalf01

Oct 3, 2011
Haven't read through everyone else responses so I don't know if it's been said, but I hate it when people assume that if you play violent games you must be a violent person.

draken693

Apr 30, 2009
That all PC gamers are angry, aggressively anti-console people. Can't we all just get along?