Mists of Pandaria Opening Sales Stumble

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
kortin said:
This entire article is rendered useless simply because they didn't put any effort into finding how many digital copies sold.
If Blizzard doesn't release those numbers, no amount of effort will make them appear.

And usually if you have good news, you release it.

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
Well, seeing as I know off 1 person amongst a few hundred in my guild that didn't buy it digitally, I'll wait for them to count those sales too.

Not that I'm worried, it's still an epic game and Pandaria just made it more fun.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
<-- Pandaria certainly tempted THIS missing subscriber back. That's the whole reason I returned to WoW - because they were finally making a story about my favorite joke Asian race of bear people. The Pandaren Brewmaster was my favorte Warcraft 3 hero, so imagine how ecstatic I was when I heard you could play a Pandaren in WoW.

After getting back into the game via Scroll of Resurrection, I gotta say, WoW is frickin' awesome. I love it.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Frostbite3789 said:
kortin said:
This entire article is rendered useless simply because they didn't put any effort into finding how many digital copies sold.
If Blizzard doesn't release those numbers, no amount of effort will make them appear.

And usually if you have good news, you release it.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Even if a vast majority of sales for MoP have been digital, the fact that the numbers changed so much in a relatively short period of time is very significant. Plus, the fact that Blizzard hasn't released any numbers is really telling to how well this expansion sold.

Personally, I hope we can reach an era where there isn't one dominant MMO that everybody's trying to emulate. I don't think WoW should die, I just think that other MMOs should be at a similar popularity to it. However, based on the recent trends in WoW, I wouldn't be surprised if this day is closer than we think.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I think someone is vastly underestimating the power of digital sales.

If that is really the only number of people that have bought MoP, then we should quickly see a huge loss of subscribers. And I don't mean a million. I mean several million, potentially half their base.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I guess I'm not surprised. WoW is the most expencive MMO, what with charging $20-$40 per expansion & then charging a subscription on top of that when almost all MMOs these days seem to be FTP with cash shops, then one or 2 new MMOs dethroned WoW this year on having the most subscribers, & you can't get Pandaria to work unless you have ALL of the expansions, or so I here.

But yeah, probably greatly underestimating direct download sales. In a day & age when everyone demands instant gratification, why go to a store & pay for a mark-up retail version when you can get it cheaper & quicker online? & if the retail & online prices are the same....that's just wrong.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
kortin said:
I disagree. It is showing that the brick and mortar market is turning into a bit of a dinosaur. I think we will see gamestop and similar retailers completely out of the loop for PC within the next 20 years. Consoles within the next 40.

Butch Deadlift

Apr 9, 2012
Yo, just posting here to note that I accidentally reported someone's post on this page while madly clicking around as though my hand were seizing, so ignore that one, mods.

Jmp_man

Apr 24, 2011
You guys read the update to the original article right? Apparently a different company is expecting MoP to sell a total of 4.5 million units, and subscribers to jump to 9.8 million up from 9.1 million. Dropping it off here just in-case you don't want to click back to the article again.

Update: Analysts at investment bank Brean Murray, Carrett & Co. are also weighing in on World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria's financial impact, and they're painting a rosier picture. They believe the expansion pack will be a key driver of publisher Activision Blizzard's third quarter 2012 revenue growth.

"We think recent reports of weak retail sales for Mists of Pandaria may fail to reflect a channel shift toward a greater percentage of digital sales," they said.

"More than 1 million people bought premium subscriptions, which bundled a year-long subscription with a copy of Diablo III. We look for the premium subscribers to not only pick up the expansion but for a significant portion of them to download it through the Battle.net platform, which should offer high margin revenue."

Brean Murray estimates 4.5 million units of Mists of Pandaria will be sold in the third quarter despite competition from free-to-play titles and NCSoft's massively multiplayer online role-playing game Guild Wars 2, which has sold over 2 million copies. It also expects subscriber numbers to increase from 9.1 million to 9.8 million by the end of the third quarter.

GamesBeat has contacted Blizzard about this story and will update if there is a response.

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-performance-disappointing/#KYxdECILP9Jyp0YP.99

Personally I think it's a bit optimistic, but I never liked WoW personally so that could be my annoyance at the game talking.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
excalipoor said:
The digital version is cheaper too. Why would anyone not buy that instead of the physical copy? Other than to show off the box I guess.
Depends. Physical retail copy here is 20% cheaper than digital (for god knows what reason). But I expect digital sales make up the vast majority of sales.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
What, does anyone buy retail anymore? I'm shocked that 21% is not considered a realistic figure - why would anyone pay an extra 10-20$ retail (plus whatever you use to get to the actual store or postage) when they can get the game cheaper and faster online?

The online games I have in actual boxes are collectors' editions and those made by the companies I worked for.

Apart from that, though, I do agree that Blizzard has definitely taken a wrong turn a while back and needs to get back on track, lest they stumble and fall over WoW no longer being able to sustain their other projects...

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Fappy said:
The cracks are growing larger. The beast doesn't have much longer to live by my calculations.
You forgot the part where it will stabilise. Considering how cheap it is to develop compared to other MMORPG's, it will still make its own money until Blizzard cuts the cord at Titan or it continues on forever.

See: Every other MMORPG ever.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
I think part of the issue is that most people are just seeing 'hur hur, pandas in underwear' rather than what's below that, i.e the most revolutionary changes to the game to date. I'm not a player, but I read up on what changed, and it is big, really, really big. Besides, the absolutely massive hole in this data is the online purchases; it's not Ubisoft, they're not selling exactly the same boxed game for the same price with no benefits, there's literally a button every time you log in that's been available for a while now to existing players so they can click that and have the game from launch day instead of having to drive somewhere which has potentially sold out, and losing valuable game time.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
Now what I don't get is why the huge focus on the "pandas are bad and you should feel bad" angle, after all, they've been around at least since WC3, if not before, and are canon. Hell, the Worgen are a newer invention, being introduced as enemies in vanilla WoW as far as I know. Also, why are pandas any worse than, I don't know, walking, talking cows, werewolves etc.? Yeah, I know there's the whole Kung Fu Panda thing, but the Pandaren were around before that, and the monk class being inspired by martial arts is nothing new either. Only negative for me is the neglect of the Brewmaster, that's what I want to play. Anyway, I plan to at least try it, haven't played since early WotLK, so it'll be nice to check in and see how it is these days, and if it has degraded as much as the (extremely) vocal segment of the fanbase claims (which I doubt).

Also, insert obligatory "ignoring digital sales is bad and you should feel bad" statement here.

Captcha: you rock! Thank you captcha, that's so nice!

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
It'll be interesting to see what the digital sales are going to be on this game, but I'm willing to bet that Pandaria will still have sold drastically less than Cataclysm, just based on how far down WoW's subscriptions are. While it IS a huge drop from 14 million-ish to less than 10 million, that is still way more than any other game out there can claim.

It makes me laugh when people say "WoW is dying, hahaha" because they're assuming MMOs actually die. People STILL play Ultima Online and Everquest 1, so it's safe to assume it will stick around well into the future. As for "Blizzard themselves killing it", that's an equally ignorant statement. As long as it continues to make them money, there's no reason for them to pull the plug. I mean... what? It gets down to 2 million subscribers and Blizzard is just going to look at that and say "Nice game, everyone. Go ahead and shut 'er down, even though we still have more subscribers than most other MMOs out there."

I don't like WoW, but logic tells me that it will always have a substantial subscription base, even when it isn't so wildly popular.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Well, I remember there was a hefty midnight release for Cataclysm at our local GS. MoP didn't have not even one.

That just means people didn't preorder it enough and therefore didn't care much about it.

I guess it makes sense.

djl3485

Sep 30, 2012
Article on Gameinformer says Blizzard released their sales data.

The recent launch of World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria has given subscriptions a boost with Blizzard seeing 2.7 million copies sold in the first week. Total World of Warcraft subscribers have passed 10 million again in all regions. In August, Blizzard reported subscriptions for the game declined to 9.1 million. Last year at this time, subscriptions were at 11.4 million.

"It's been gratifying to see the results of all of the work we put into this expansion and to hear all of the positive feedback from players so far," said Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime.

Blizzard said the World of Warcraft development team is already working on the first major post-launch content update.